Help selecting 7 HT speakers $4k budget

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Advice on this forum is excellent, but in the end you have to like the way the speakers will sound so take your time, otherwise everyone here would have RBH Speakers with Denon AVR-X4000
Dont forget the SVS sub...

S

stactum

Enthusiast
Stactum, you have (IMO) some of the best value, high performance HT speakers in the world made right on your doorstep! You really should take a drive out to Oconomowoc and have a listen to JTR Speakers. Jeff Permanian, the owner/designer/builder is by all accounts is a very knowledgeable, easygoing fella. He'll enjoy treating you to a mind blowing JTR demo in his room and won't pressure you into buying anything.
I used to live in Oconomowoc for 8 years about 2 minutes from JTR, never knew what they were making. :) Now I live about 15 mins away, may stop by sometime.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
JBL looks too spartan to me :) WAF = 0
Those JBL JRX's are a couple of leagues below any JTR. The neo magnet 8" coaxial driver alone would set JTR back more than $250. I don't think any fair minded person would characterise JTR's as ugly cabinets. Plain/utilitarian - yes; ugly - no.

2011 Single 8HT, Single 8HT-lp and Slanted 8HT - JTR Speakers Inc.

I used to live in Oconomowoc for 8 years about 2 minutes from JTR, never knew what they were making. :) Now I live about 15 mins away, may stop by sometime.
Two minutes away! It's a wonder you didn't HEAR what they were making: :D

[video=youtube;qWznxY4CmI4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWznxY4CmI4[/video]​

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Those JBL JRX's are a couple of leagues below any JTR.
Matter of opinion. I have heard both JTR T8 & JBL JRX. The JBL sound just as good IMO. Both are ugly as hell too.

And in terms actual cost, let's not compare a little one-man garage shop vs. Harman International and other giant manufacturers. :eek:

For example, if you owned a garage shop and wanted to buy a pair of Diamond tweeters, it might cost you $4,000 just for the tweeters. But it may cost B&W only $400.

Does that mean the $4000 diamond off-the-shelf aftermarket tweeter is better than the $400 B&W diamond tweeter? :D

So let's go back to the $800 JTR vs $250 JBL for fun. If you were to buy the parts for the JBL w/o mass volume discounts and in-house savings, it might cost you $1,000 to build the JBL.

Last edited:
JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Not sure why you lean Ascend over Salk. I'd definitely lean Salk myself.
I'm curious, why Salk over Ascend. I have not personally heard Salk, but I feel it comes down to a budget issue. If you figure in a RAAL tweeter and bamboo cabinet upgrade, the Salk are quite a bit more than the Ascend towers. Do you feel the added cost is made up for in sound quality? The response data appears to be almost identical.

S

stactum

Enthusiast
After all auditions I've done I settled and ordered the following:

GoldenEar Triton Two Towers
SuperCenter XL
Aon 2 Surrounds
Aon 2 Backs

Can't wait to pick them up!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

SuperCenter XL
Aon 2 Surrounds
Aon 2 Backs

That does it. I'm never talking to you again! :mad:

Just kidding. :D

Enjoy, enjoy. All that matters is that they are mellifluous to you. ;)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

SuperCenter XL
Aon 2 Surrounds
Aon 2 Backs

Congrats, good luck with everything, don't forget pics, this is exciting...

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I hope you got a good deal :D Congrats, I didn't think you would make the drive down to pick up so quickly! I take it you have a large truck/SUV had to be bigger than the guy who bought my Paradigms and tried to pick them up in a 5 Series BMW.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis