Help me spend my money

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I apologize I’m a newbie. I hope the AVR has enough power for the speakers.
Depends on how you think it works I suppose. What guys think about speaker wattage ratings as well as amp power ratings varies and often misunderstood. The avr can "push" your speakers up to a particular spl level no doubt, but will have its limits of course....what that limit is particularly depends on several factors. I'd certainly get the speakers and use them in your usual way before deciding the amplification is insufficient....good luck, those Cantons are well regarded by some well regarded members here....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
According to spec, 1w should produce ~88dB @ 1 m (3'). I don't recall all the specifics, but if you sit 6' back in a room with relatively close boundaries, you'll experience ~85dB, and if you double that again to 12', you can expect to hear ~82dB... All with 1 watt of power.
What is the power rating of your AVR per channel?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
Pics from the OP in his House Meatball :rolleyes:
I will send pics as soon as they come in!!
I’ll run them with the AVR I have and go from there. I’m pretty sure my next purchase will be some subs.
I’ve never had towers before, should these still have the crossover at 80hz?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I apologize I’m a newbie. I hope the AVR has enough power for the speakers.
You don't need to apologize bro your just getting started trust me we were all there once we know what your trying to say

Lovin gave you great advice see how your avr handles them first no sense wasting coin and then if you need extra power you can always buy an amp next but I'd debut the avr first to see if you even need an amp at all

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Lovin gave you great advice see how your avr handles them first no sense wasting coin and then if you need extra power you can always buy an amp next but I'd debut the avr first to see if you even need an amp at all
What am I Chop Liver??? LOL

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’ll run them with the AVR I have and go from there. I’m pretty sure my next purchase will be some subs.
I like to recommend one octave above the F3 of you speakers. Use that as the starting point and experiment up and down from there.
I used music in a 2.1 scenario to determine that the XO at 80 sounded better than the XO at 60 with speakers very solid to 34Hz. Bass was more punchy and Mids were more clear. These can be subtle things to listen for, but I gladly choose better overall sound quality than worrying that I'm not using a Woofer to it's fullest extent. :)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd still start at 80hz and experiment up and down from there once you get some subs. I cross my towers at 100-120. As long as you can't localize the subs....

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
Ok guys, need some more advice. So the Cantons come today (finally!!) and I was going to move the Fluance Signatures to the rear surrounds to replace the Polk T15’s. However, the Fluances are considerably larger then the Polks and they would overhang from the lip on my wall, making them noticeable from the kitchen and I would also have to remount the wall mounts to hang them.

Now, I have Fluance bipoles that are not in great spots now due to room design, but I could hang those back there and move the Fluances to the sides. 2 issues, are the Fluance Signatures, underutilized on the sides compared to the back? Also, you can see that the bipoles would be reflecting off the wall pretty quickly in the back. Am I better off keeping the Polks up in the back, ditching the bipoles and putting the Fluance signatures on the sides?

thanks in advance, I do have a REW mic coming in today, so I could play with that possibly to see what’s best? I’m new to all of that, so I’m not sure.

Attachments

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
However, the Fluances are considerably larger then the Polks
are the Fluance Signatures, underutilized on the sides compared to the back?
Per Dolby and DTS standards, your surround speakers should be 90-110 degrees off center, directly to the side or just a little but behind your seating position. Also, as opposed to our front speakers, the tweeter of the surround speakers should be 2-3 feet above ear-level when seated as this makes it them harder to localize.

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
Thanks for that, so are you saying I shouldn’t have any on that back wall? As you can see it’s not really a back wall, so they would have to be high back there. I have this huge double window on the left, so I’m screwed on getting my side surrounds in a good even spot. I’m just trying to do what’s best with my space. I am re arranging the room, so I’ll take more pics once the Cantons are in and I have some couches moved.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Congrats. Got mine today too via fedex freight. Didn't unbox them yet as I'm waiting on other stuff and don't want to bang them up before I'm ready. Hopefully next week I can start my re-install with most everything in hand. :)

Let us know how they sound. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis