Help me spend my money

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
I want to start off by thanking Gene, James, Matt and all the guys at Audioholics. I have learned so much from you guys and constantly learning more. Also want to thank all the contributors on these forums I have been lurking for a while and everything is very informative.

Living room that is 20’ x 18’, but the back wall is a partial half wall that opens up into the kitchen. I have a Samsung 82” NU8000 tv. I had a Yamaha RXV-681, but my son dropped it while cleaning and it no longer works (no display). I am looking at new AVRs, but I also want new speakers. I am a gamer, when non gaming, movies is 70% music 30%.

currently using an old 5.1 Yamaha AVR (after the 681 took a crap)
L and R- Fluance Signature Series

center- Fluance Signature Series

surrounds- Fluance Biopoles

rears- Polk T15 (I know, I know)

subs- 2 Bic America F12

So I was running a basic 7.2 set up.

I am looking into buying another AVR obviously and while researching I am getting upgraditis with speakers. Whether that includes Atmos or staying at 7.2 is TBD. Here is what I was thinking. I was looking at the Denon 3700, because it has some future proofing with the 8K and the HDMI 2.1 (I will be getting a PS5 immediately). I assume without a TV that has HDMI 2.1, it does me no good. If that’s the case, I might look at older models.

For speakers, after listening to KEW, I am leaning towards Canton Chrono SL 596.2 Towers, that come with a free center channel. I am also open to suggestions here, I hear good things about the JBL 5 series towers and also the Polk LSIM707. So those are in contention too. I do like to turn up movies and music pretty loud, so I do want some headroom in these speakers. Should I go with the towers with the 2 F12’s, or stick with bookshelf’s. If I get towers or bookshelf’s, I can stick the Fluances in the rears and get rid of the Polks, or just keep the Polks and add the Fluances. Right now the Polks are mounted against the ceiling in the tears, angled downwards.

Basically I need suggestions on where to spend my money. I’d say budget is up to 3k$, but less always works too. I appreciate everyone’s help in advance.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I want to start off by thanking Gene, James, Matt and all the guys at Audioholics. I have learned so much from you guys and constantly learning more. Also want to thank all the contributors on these forums I have been lurking for a while and everything is very informative.
Brown Noser

q5dw2uman5z7cmvt4ydk.jpg

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
For speakers, after listening to KEW, I am leaning towards Canton Chrono SL 596.2 Towers, that come with a free center channel. I am also open to suggestions here, I hear good things about the JBL 5 series towers and also the Polk LSIM707. So those are in contention too. I do like to turn up movies and music pretty loud, so I do want some headroom in these speakers. Should I go with the towers with the 2 F12’s, or stick with bookshelf’s. If I get towers or bookshelf’s, I can stick the Fluances in the rears and get rid of the Polks, or just keep the Polks and add the Fluances. Right now the Polks are mounted against the ceiling in the tears, angled downwards.

Basically I need suggestions on where to spend my money. I’d say budget is up to 3k$, but less always works too. I appreciate everyone’s help in advance.
If you've been reading the Forum this past week there has been a few Threads on Speakers in thex$2000 to $3000 range w/ Recommendations.

Between the Cantons and Polks being on Sale and Great Speakers they are hard to beat. SVS Ultra and Ascend Acoustics also are Great.

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
First:

Do you like the Fluance?
I do like the Fluances. I’m new into this game, so I don’t have a ton to compare it too, but to me they sound great. I would like to be able to turn it up a little more.

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
Ok, so drastic change, I was able to fix the Yamaha. I don’t know how I missed it the first time it happened, but it was a flashing red light and I was able to reset it and get it working. So I guess I’m just in speakers at this point, if this AVR is strong enough to push them.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
If you've been reading the Forum this past week there has been a few Threads on Speakers in thex$2000 to $3000 range w/ Recommendations.

Between the Cantons and Polks being on Sale and Great Speakers they are hard to beat. SVS Ultra and Ascend Acoustics also are Great.

Funny you mention those SVS Ultra tower's, just yesterday I was researching their tower's. Impressive specs, I ran across a Pro review and their test results. SVS Pinnacle tower's are in a very nice sweet spot at 799.00 each or the Piano black for 899.00.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve heard good things about the Fluance Speakers, especially for the price. They won’t take you to the mountain top, but as I understand it, they’ll get you to a pleasant lookout spot. ;)
Frankly what stands out first:
Get better Subs.
The speakers should come next.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Living room that is 20’ x 18’, but the back wall is a partial half wall that opens up into the kitchen. I have a Samsung 82” NU8000 tv. I had a Yamaha RXV-681, but my son dropped it while cleaning and it no longer works (no display). I am looking at new AVRs, but I also want new speakers. I am a gamer, when non gaming, movies is 70% music 30%.

currently using an old 5.1 Yamaha AVR (after the 681 took a crap)
L and R- Fluance Signature Series

center- Fluance Signature Series

surrounds- Fluance Biopoles

rears- Polk T15 (I know, I know)

subs- 2 Bic America F12

So I was running a basic 7.2 set up.

I am looking into buying another AVR obviously and while researching I am getting upgraditis with speakers. Whether that includes Atmos or staying at 7.2 is TBD. Here is what I was thinking. I was looking at the Denon 3700, because it has some future proofing with the 8K and the HDMI 2.1 (I will be getting a PS5 immediately). I assume without a TV that has HDMI 2.1, it does me no good. If that’s the case, I might look at older models.

If your front speakers are the second version of the Fluance Signature Three-Way towers, those are actually pretty darn good and won't be easily topped for the cost, especially if you want something with headroom.

One question: does your $3k budget include the receiver?

One thing is certain, you can do better in the subwoofer category. The BIC F12s are good for the cost, but things get a lot better at higher price points.

I wouldn't bother with the Polk LSiM707s unless you plan to pair them up with a heavy-duty amplifier.

Here is one suggestion that I think offers a lot of bang-for-the-buck: an Outlaw 976 Processor, three Kali LP-8s for the front stage, two Kali LP-6s for the rears, and a pair of Hsu VTF-2 mk5s for subs. That all comes in at just a bit over $3k but offers absolutely tremendous value. If you really want to rock, upgrade the subs to a pair of VTF-3 mk5s. A Kali/Outlaw 976/Hsu VTF system will give you very high accuracy and also tons of punch at a low cost. The Kali LP-8 review was just published here.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Power Monitors?

"I THINK they could be used for a mid-sized home theater with no problem. If you like to rock, they can do that. A large room may require beefier speakers, but these would kill it in a bedroom or an average-sized living room."

"Think"???

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
If your front speakers are the second version of the Fluance Signature Three-Way towers, those are actually pretty darn good and won't be easily topped for the cost, especially if you want something with headroom.

One question: does your $3k budget include the receiver?

One thing is certain, you can do better in the subwoofer category. The BIC F12s are good for the cost, but things get a lot better at higher price points.

I wouldn't bother with the Polk LSiM707s unless you plan to pair them up with a heavy-duty amplifier.

Here is one suggestion that I think offers a lot of bang-for-the-buck: an Outlaw 976 Processor, three Kali LP-8s for the front stage, two Kali LP-6s for the rears, and a pair of Hsu VTF-2 mk5s for subs. That all comes in at just a bit over $3k but offers absolutely tremendous value. If you really want to rock, upgrade the subs to a pair of VTF-3 mk5s. A Kali/Outlaw 976/Hsu VTF system will give you very high accuracy and also tons of punch at a low cost. The Kali LP-8 review was just published here.
Thanks for the response James, the Fluances are actually the bookshelf’s, not the towers. I did have the $3K budget to include a receiver, but I just got my RXV-681 working again. My issue with that receiver is that it has no preamp outs. To get better speakers and an amp, do I not need those? With this working, do you still recommend that I go to an Outlaw processor?

I have been very happy with my F-12’s, but again I have nothing to compare it too. I will take a close look at the HSU’s. Also, I was just hoping to move the Fluance bookshelf’s to the rears (not sure what to do with the Fluance center), would that be alright if I mixed those with the Kali LP-8’s in the fronts?

I can’t thank you enough for your advice James, big fan.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Using that calculated I got 107db, I sit about 10 feet from the speakers.
Could well be then that your avr is sufficient. Do you listen at reference level ("0" on the reference volume scale your avr can display), which would be a peak of 105dB?

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
This is my space, F12’s currently in corner. Please ignore the wiring, need to hide everything had it out when I fixed the receiver. Yes that’s a second tv, but my kids use headphones with that tv. I have an issue placing my side surrounds. Also, as you can see it opens to the kitchen. Please regard that mess as well, I’m wiring up some Niles RS8i rocks for out by the pool.

I’m a little more confused then I was, upgrading the subs wasn’t something I was considering, but agree it needs to be done. I just loved the way the Cantons looked in white, but I’m not sure my current receiver will power them enough. I might get one of the HSU to start (the VTF3- MK15H) and add the second one later. Just sell the F12’s. Hopefully these pictures help people understand my situation.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Power Monitors?

"I THINK they could be used for a mid-sized home theater with no problem. If you like to rock, they can do that. A large room may require beefier speakers, but these would kill it in a bedroom or an average-sized living room."

"Think"???
By that I mean they will have sufficient dynamic range for most people, but there may be some crazy people who like beyond THX Reference levels, and they may be strained to do that in a medium-sized room. They have very impressive dynamics, but they aren't going to challenge some Klipschorns or some JBL M2s.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I just loved the way the Cantons looked in white, but I’m not sure my current receiver will power them enough.
JMO try them with just the Receiver for now. You could always add an Amp later.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for the response James, the Fluances are actually the bookshelf’s, not the towers. I did have the $3K budget to include a receiver, but I just got my RXV-681 working again. My issue with that receiver is that it has no preamp outs. To get better speakers and an amp, do I not need those? With this working, do you still recommend that I go to an Outlaw processor?

I have been very happy with my F-12’s, but again I have nothing to compare it too. I will take a close look at the HSU’s. Also, I was just hoping to move the Fluance bookshelf’s to the rears (not sure what to do with the Fluance center), would that be alright if I mixed those with the Kali LP-8’s in the fronts?

I can’t thank you enough for your advice James, big fan.
A system based on the Kali speakers would have way more dynamic range that almost anything that your AVR could power. They are very accurate as well. However, that might just be a solution with way more dynamic range than you need. In addition, it won't decode Atmos, although you will still be able to listen to Atmos encoded discs- just not the Atmos channels.

So it depends on how loud you really like to crank it. If you are interested in a very wide dynamic range, I think the Kali + Outlaw system is still worth considering. But if you don't really listen all that loud, something like Canton would be just fine. By using the RXV-681 AVR's amp, you will be spreading that power to as many speakers as you hook up to it. So if you go to a 9 channel system, that amp's power supply is spread awfully thin. Not a big deal though if you aren't cranking the system loud.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis