Help me spend my money

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
By that I mean they will have sufficient dynamic range for most people, but there may be some crazy people who like beyond THX Reference levels, and they may be strained to do that in a medium-sized room. They have very impressive dynamics, but they aren't going to challenge some Klipschorns or some JBL M2s.
I had some Mackie HR824's. I agree that in a Small Room they would work. But I still wouldn't use Studio Monitors in a HT environment. JMO. 2-Channel music system, Absolutely

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The studio 5 JBL is what I have in my bedroom and my home theater setup

Totally happy with them but the looks are somewhat polarizing? If you have a wife that could be an issue I personally love there look but some can't stand them

The 590 especially and I believe the 580's will blow those fluance bookshelves out of the water

But youd need to wait for them to go on sale when they do they are 50 to 60% off

As Shady stated the second version of the fluance towers are hard very hard to beat for bang for the buck

So maybe combine some advice from Shady and Ryan how about getting two towers from Fluance then you have a matching center move the fluance bookshelves back for surrounds get a secong pair for your rears which won't cost that much

And then using all the extra coin since you won't need an extra reciever into some badass subs 2 of the HSU Mk5 I believe?

That sub upgrade and upgrading to towers would really add dynamics and improve your sound in my opinion

Now if you really want to spend some money as your title implies and want to just replace all speakers and subs we can help you do that

But... You need to be careful when you ask an audioholic to help you spend your money

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
I appreciate all the help guys. Just browsing my local used market. I found a guy selling a HSU VTF-15H, I’m not sure if it is a MK1 or MK2, but he is asking $500. I’d offer lower to see if he takes it, would this be a good start for $400-450. Also, a PB16 Ultra that is only 6 months old and in excellent condition for $1700. Should I consider these?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I appreciate all the help guys. Just browsing my local used market. I found a guy selling a HSU VTF-15H, I’m not sure if it is a MK1 or MK2, but he is asking $500. I’d offer lower to see if he takes it, would this be a good start for $400-450. Also, a PB16 Ultra that is only 6 months old and in excellent condition for $1700. Should I consider these?
Yep, particularly the Hsu IMO.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That PB 16 would be awesome but they are HUGE. And HEAVY. I'd check out the HSU first great performer much smaller footprint and they are one off the best for price vs performance

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ask him for the model which one it is and then let us know also ask for condition pictures from that we can tell you if the HSU is a good buy or not

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
I just read a thread where James was comparing the SvS Prime to 2 HSU, so that answers the SVS PB16 for $1700 question. The used HSU I’m still curious about.
The Fluance towers are $799 pair right now. I believe the JBL Studios are 1000$ a pair on sale right now. I now they don’t match, but if they are that much better maybe I should go that route.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
That PB 16 would be awesome but they are HUGE. And HEAVY. I'd check out the HSU first great performer much smaller footprint and they are one off the best for price vs performance
Didn't you have 4000's to sell?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just read a thread where James was comparing the SvS Prime to 2 HSU, so that answers the SVS PB16 for $1700 question. The used HSU I’m still curious about.
The Fluance towers are $799 pair right now. I believe the JBL Studios are 1000$ a pair on sale right now. I now they don’t match, but if they are that much better maybe I should go that route.
SVS primes are speakers, what has that got to do with a sub? :)

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
A system based on the Kali speakers would have way more dynamic range that almost anything that your AVR could power. They are very accurate as well. However, that might just be a solution with way more dynamic range than you need. In addition, it won't decode Atmos, although you will still be able to listen to Atmos encoded discs- just not the Atmos channels.

So it depends on how loud you really like to crank it. If you are interested in a very wide dynamic range, I think the Kali + Outlaw system is still worth considering. But if you don't really listen all that loud, something like Canton would be just fine. By using the RXV-681 AVR's amp, you will be spreading that power to as many speakers as you hook up to it. So if you go to a 9 channel system, that amp's power supply is spread awfully thin. Not a big deal though if you aren't cranking the system loud.
I think the fact that I won’t be able to do Atmos with the Kali, makes me go in a different direction. I know I’m not there yet, but we watch a lot of movies and I will get there eventually. Thank you for the advice, I’m going back and forth on so many things right now.......

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Didn't you have 4000's to sell?
Yes I do but it's local pickup only and I don't know if the op lives close enough

I have them listed at 1400 each but for a member here Id discount them more both individual sale or especially if they bought both

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think the fact that I won’t be able to do Atmos with the Kali, makes me go in a different direction. I know I’m not there yet, but we watch a lot of movies and I will get there eventually. Thank you for the advice, I’m going back and forth on so many things right now.......
Most important thing is too take your time and don't be afraid to trial different speakers before you buy if they offer free trial period and returns don't let your emotions get you trigger happy I promise you won't regret taking your time

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is the HSU pics. I asked him for the model. I’m not sure if you can tell from the pics.
That is a mk1. $500 for a VTF15h mk1 is still better than anything you can get new for the same price, but that sub is bound to be a bit old. The mk2 was launched in late 2014, so that sub is at least 6 years old. I think given the performance improvements of the mk2, $500 is a bit steep for that unit. It wouldn't be bad if the MK2 wasn't such a substantial upgrade.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Here is the HSU pics. I asked him for the model. I’m not sure if you can tell from the pics.
Like Shady said that's the original 15H not the newer models it's older and I would buy the newer model it's a big step up in performance from the older models

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Living room that is 20’ x 18’, but the back wall is a partial half wall that opens up into the kitchen...I had a Yamaha RXV-681, but my son dropped it...
...I just got my RXV-681 working again...
Yamaha - it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. :D

Your living room seems very similar to my previous house - 18' x 20' x 10' ceiling, rear is open to Kitchen, Right side open to Breakfast room, Left side is open to formal Living room.

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
Ok, Update!!

I pulled the trigger on the Canton Chronos SL 596.2 white towers with the free center channel. $2100

Hopefully this AVR can push them properly. I will be moving the Fluance bookshelf’s to the rears. Not sure what I’ll do with the center channel yet. After that, I’m taking James advise and getting some HSU subs. Thanks everyone for the help.

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
I apologize I’m a newbie. I hope the AVR has enough power for the speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis