Heaven Help Me - My Daughter Just Bought A Vinyl Album - No Turntable

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
the more I discuss it with her, the more likely it will be that I talk myself into diving into the vinyl vortex!
Vinyl is a waste of time, space and effort. In my opinion your kid wants to engage her TT owning friend on a known interest of theirs. I know TLS thinks she's gonna invent perpetual motion after you spend $1200 on a TT but I'm not so sure. Kids have a habit of being kids. I don't want to see you stuck with a record collection after she decides that dolphins or unicorns are her new interests.

Resist you must.

But hypothetically, how much can you afford to let this set you back before you realize that you need professional help? I fell into the TT trap but I kinda like the work involved in setting up a respectable shrine to the god of audio. Getting up every 20 minutes to flip albums or to at least put the arm away (automatics need not apply) gets bothersome but it keeps me engaged in the music.

I racked up over 300 LP's pretty quick and then culled out the noisy ones. I suppose I have about as many CD's.
After altogether too much work on the TT set up and album storage shelf I listen to LP's probably as much if not more than CD's and I still think vinyl is a disease.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Vinyl is a waste of time, space and effort. In my opinion your kid wants to engage her TT owning friend on a known interest of theirs. I know TLS thinks she's gonna invent perpetual motion after you spend $1200 on a TT but I'm not so sure. Kids have a habit of being kids. I don't want to see you stuck with a record collection after she decides that dolphins or unicorns are her new interests.

Resist you must.

But hypothetically, how much can you afford to let this set you back before you realize that you need professional help? I fell into the TT trap but I kinda like the work involved in setting up a respectable shrine to the god of audio. Getting up every 20 minutes to flip albums or to at least put the arm away (automatics need not apply) gets bothersome but it keeps me engaged in the music.

I racked up over 300 LP's pretty quick and then culled out the noisy ones. I suppose I have about as many CD's.
After altogether too much work on the TT set up and album storage shelf I listen to LP's probably as much if not more than CD's and I still think vinyl is a disease.
Do as I say, not as I do!

Over the years, it was common for many people to give me their old vinyl, that helped my collection grow for free.

And, I got into vinyl in the late 1990s when records went dirt cheap, like 2-3 used records could be bought for the price of a single new CD! That was what really got me into vinyl, the abundance of cheap music on the format at that time. It allowed me to hear more variety for the same cost of entry as CD.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

Resist you must.

tenor-3.gif

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

Resist you must.

You know, for a lower order primate, you can be quite sagacious. While I will certainly - as the good doctor suggested - try to discern the basis for her sudden interest in a vinyl recording, I expect that it won't be that profound.

But, I live in fear of the day she suggests that she wants to buy something like this...

1597325017841.png

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You know, for a lower order primate, you can be quite sagacious. While I will certainly - as the good doctor suggested - try to discern the basis for her sudden interest in a vinyl recording, I expect that it won't be that profound.

But, I live in fear of the day she suggests that she wants to buy something like this...

View attachment 38796

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Considering all the CDs you have, getting a turntable makes about as much sense as screen doors on a submarine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

View attachment 38796
Many of us started with something no better than that....it's her money, right? Right?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just step-up to one of Pierre's rigs

View attachment 38825
What? No Cueing lever?

Many turntables will have a cueing feature that allows you to simply engage a switch that lifts the tonearm from its rest automatically. This process is called "cueing." Some turntable will have a cue lever which is used to raise and lower the arm.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What? No Cueing lever?

Many turntables will have a cueing feature that allows you to simply engage a switch that lifts the tonearm from its rest automatically.
That's not Fun.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Considering all the CDs you have, getting a turntable makes about as much sense as screen doors on a submarine.
As a former navy submariner, I can confirm this.

And, you're right...as tempting as it might be...it makes no sense for me to get a TT

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
As a former navy submariner, I can confirm this.

And, you're right...as tempting as it might be...it makes no sense for me to get a TT
Don’t make us get together and get her, her own TT. :p

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
It’s hers if you want it. It just needs a belt and one hinge missing. Has cart installed. LMK as soon as possible. I’d get it if I didn’t already have two tables.
BC362E8E-BFF7-4559-BB22-85EDB064233A.jpeg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis