Heaven Help Me - My Daughter Just Bought A Vinyl Album - No Turntable

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Can't imagine going back down the rabbit hole would be worth it since you only have one vinyl to play....no enabling from me (while I still have my tt and collected vinyl its rarely used...but if I didn't I wouldn't start over from scratch).
Finally, somebody talking sense!:D

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'd wager your daughter "knows where this will go" better than you!
She has total trust that you will save her from the misery of a POS TT!
Are you seriously considering disappointing the faith she has in you to "do the right thing"?

You're already on the edge, there's no challenge to you caving when all it takes is the slightest breeze to send you down that hole!

You don't have to go deep! This is all you need for $80: (phono pre-amp built in!)
Sigh.....:D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
If you would have bought her a dog years ago she wouldn't have to torment you like this... Her revenge is sweet.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Good deal on this one:
I loved it when I had it.
Fully auto:

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Can't imagine going back down the rabbit hole would be worth it since you only have one vinyl to play....no enabling from me (while I still have my tt and collected vinyl its rarely used...but if I didn't I wouldn't start over from scratch).
I'm with HD here. Get her the CD of it from Amazon so she can listen at home...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Oh, I'm waiting for that request...:rolleyes:
Don't wait! Help her to acquire her own system. She obviously has a curiosity about this, and I bet if you really listen to her it probably goes deeper than you think.

A turntable is a wonderful place to start with a young and may be evolving enthusiast. You can actually see the sound waves before you embedded in the disc. The little stylus follows those waves, and is amplified. Then a speaker moves the air in the manner of those grooves and you hear it. The curiosity takes over and she will discover those points on the wave can be represented by millions of 0 and 1s. So then you can watch a mind evolve in a young child.

I personally would be really curious as to why she stuck so firmly to her guns and bought that LP. I bet if you really listen to her it was not impulsive, but more likely than not from a fundamental curiosity. I would probe deeper into this. Guide her to find out what it is all about and the history behind it. Let her find out how to set a turntable up if she really wants one, and she will start learning skills and increase in dexterity. I'm on her side on this one.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Don't wait! Help her to acquire her own system. She obviously has a curiosity about this, and I bet if you really listen to her it probably goes deeper than you think.

A turntable is a wonderful place to start with a young and may be evolving enthusiast. You can actually see the sound waves before you embedded in the disc. The little stylus follows those waves, and is amplified. Then a speaker moves the air in the manner of those grooves and you hear it. The curiosity takes over and she will discover those points on the wave can be represented by millions of 0 and 1s. So then you can watch a mind evolve in a young child.

I personally would be really curious as to why she stuck so firmly to her guns and bought that LP. I bet if you really listen to her it was not impulsive, but more likely than not from a fundamental curiosity. I would probe deeper into this. Guide her to find out what it is all about and the history behind it. Let her find out how to set a turntable up if she really wants one, and she will start learning skills and increase in dexterity. I'm on her side on this one.
I thought you were a surgeon, not a psychologist.;)

She listens to the same album on Spotify, so right now it sits on her bookshelf. I will probe to find out what her real motivation is. The thing is, the more I discuss it with her, the more likely it will be that I talk myself into diving into the vinyl vortex!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I thought you were a surgeon, not a psychologist.;)

She listens to the same album on Spotify, so right now it sits on her bookshelf. I will probe to find out what her real motivation is. The thing is, the more I discuss it with her, the more likely it will be that I talk myself into diving into the vinyl vortex!
Finally, somebody talking sense!:D

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
This is my advice, if you can stomach another. Years of working with students taught me to always consent to their choice and their literature and then use that when applying different models of interpretation. No one's going through the entire Kafka/Dostoevsky/Gogol opus.

In your case; pour some oil on that first flame, first let it grow and later she'll surely become interested in the possibility of her favorite songs sounding better.

Once I met my student in a thrift shop buying records. She said she bought a cheap TT on-line and is now looking for old records. I realized it was a certain mood she was after and gave her ideas; I told her to get a nice bottle of wine, invite her favorite friend, get some snacks, buy and play the best of Nina Simone quietly in the background and have the best night in.

Her eyes came alive. It is worth it just to see that smile, believe me.

kd

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Perhaps if it's her money. Guiding her on all the costs involved could be interesting, particularly if that is just dad's wallet she's planning on guiding :).

Finding out why she thinks vinyl is interesting would be a good thing unless dad is already guilty? :) Just a fascination with old stuff?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Gotta be honest, when I was a kid in the 90's (yep) I was grateful to have a rig with a TT and cassette deck that recorded. My parents were all about the different mediums. I've had a TT, 8-track, cassette, CD, and streaming. I can appreciate the differences between them all and vinyl still has a good place in my heart because of exactly what @TLS Guy said. You can physically SEE what's producing the music. Very neat experience. Even if the pressings are new and converted from digital, it's still a neat experience.

You don't even need to go high-end, just something that works will potentially be very cool. I've got a box of them in my (insulated) garage waiting for me to re-finish my grandmothers console player.

My mother recently asked me what I wanted of hers so she could put it in her will. She keeps saying there's nothing I want. She was wrong. I told her I wanted all her vinyl. She's got all sorts of good stuff.

If someone wants to enjoy audio in some form. Let em. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Gotta be honest, when I was a kid in the 90's (yep) I was grateful to have a rig with a TT and cassette deck that recorded. My parents were all about the different mediums. I've had a TT, 8-track, cassette, CD, and streaming. I can appreciate the differences between them all and vinyl still has a good place in my heart because of exactly what @TLS Guy said. You can physically SEE what's producing the music. Very neat experience. Even if the pressings are new and converted from digital, it's still a neat experience.

You don't even need to go high-end, just something that works will potentially be very cool. I've got a box of them in my (insulated) garage waiting for me to re-finish my grandmothers console player.

My mother recently asked me what I wanted of hers so she could put it in her will. She keeps saying there's nothing I want. She was wrong. I told her I wanted all her vinyl. She's got all sorts of good stuff.

If someone wants to enjoy audio in some form. Let em. :)
I also love the liner notes and various add-ins, posters, post cards to order more vinyl, and other such goodies that you sometimes find in a vinyl jacket!

Heck, many of my vinyls have the original receipt shoved in there too. It's nice to remind myself the year that I bought a particular record.

CDs....I rarely even keep the liner notes or jewel case, to the trash with it.

Besides......"Vinyl Collecting" is a hobby! Today I will be digging through some crates.

"CD collector" just sounds silly ;)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I also love the liner notes and various add-ins, posters, post cards to order more vinyl, and other such goodies that you sometimes find in a vinyl jacket!

Heck, many of my vinyls have the original receipt shoved in there too. It's nice to remind myself the year that I bought a particular record.

CDs....I rarely even keep the liner notes or jewel case, to the trash with it.

Besides......"Vinyl Collecting" is a hobby! Today I will be digging through some crates.

"CD collector" just sounds silly ;)
The first CD I purchased in over a decade (or was it 15 years?) was Tool's new album. It was worth it for the art and everything else that came with it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Look a minty Olivia Newton John album and inside sleeve for a buck at my local thrift store. Look into her eyes.
CDFE8964-5EC1-4437-85F9-16727B257582.jpeg
5FC88D44-CB06-463B-82C7-D326D505E794.jpeg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis