headphone or soundbar, which dictates sound

J

jackteet

Enthusiast
Hi, I am new so please forgive my ignorance. Eventually I would like to build an audio system but I must start somewhere.
I have just purchased a Hisense 43A7NQ smart tv and a Majority Snowdan 11 soundbar. This has pre-set sound modes plus bass and treble adjustments.
I am looking at Avantree headphones and propose connecting all three by optical leads. Their expensive h/phones have pre-set sound modes and bass and treble adjustments. However the ear cups are small and "on ear", I need large "over ear" cos I am hard of hearing. These h/phones with larger cups are cheaper and do not have sound modes nor bass and treble adjustments. I need help please on this point. Is the overall sound from the s/bar dictated by the sound settings on the s/bar and not by any settings on the h/phones. The cheaper h/phones just have factory set sound settings..I do hope the above is not complete twaddle and would appreciate help please. TIA

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, I am new so please forgive my ignorance. Eventually I would like to build an audio system but I must start somewhere.
I have just purchased a Hisense 43A7NQ smart tv and a Majority Snowdan 11 soundbar. This has pre-set sound modes plus bass and treble adjustments.
I am looking at Avantree headphones and propose connecting all three by optical leads. Their expensive h/phones have pre-set sound modes and bass and treble adjustments. However the ear cups are small and "on ear", I need large "over ear" cos I am hard of hearing. These h/phones with larger cups are cheaper and do not have sound modes nor bass and treble adjustments. I need help please on this point. Is the overall sound from the s/bar dictated by the sound settings on the s/bar and not by any settings on the h/phones. The cheaper h/phones just have factory set sound settings..I do hope the above is not complete twaddle and would appreciate help please. TIA
I don't see that your sound bar has a connection for headphones.

J

jackteet

Enthusiast
Hi, Many thanks for coming back so quickly. I hope I am not messing this up but I proposed to run an optical spliter from my tv with an optical lead to the soundbar and another lead to the h/phones. Will that not work. Thanks jack

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi, Many thanks for coming back so quickly. I hope I am not messing this up but I proposed to run an optical spliter from my tv with an optical lead to the soundbar and another lead to the h/phones. Will that not work. Thanks jack
When you were worried that the sound bar setting would affect the headphone audio I assumed you were planning to connect your headphones to the sound bar.

If you connect to the TV the sound bar settings will not affect the headphones. However you will need need a headphone amp with an optical connection to drive your headphones unless the headphones are active with their own amp and optical connection. Optical connections are digital so to drive headphones you need a digital to analog audio converter and then amplification for the headphone. There are headphones around that have this for connection to an optical output on a TV.

Sennheiser make one for instance, and that would be a good recommendation as Sens usually are top of the pack sor sound quality. In your situation that is important.

J

jackteet

Enthusiast
Hi TLS, soundbar has optical, AUX and bluetooth. TV, has optical and virtually every connection you can think of. My plan is to connect all three with optical. I cant go bluetooth route cos I want to be able to mute soundbar and for audio to come through the h/phones only. Also run soundbar and h/phones simultaniously.
I have looked at Senn but prefer the Avantree, thanks for the reco.
Thanks for the additional info. at present It will help to choose h/phones to know whether s/.bar sound settings supercedes any h/phone settings. Thanks jack

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi TLS, soundbar has optical, AUX and bluetooth. TV, has optical and virtually every connection you can think of. My plan is to connect all three with optical. I cant go bluetooth route cos I want to be able to mute soundbar and for audio to come through the h/phones only. Also run soundbar and h/phones simultaniously.
I have looked at Senn but prefer the Avantree, thanks for the reco.
Thanks for the additional info. at present It will help to choose h/phones to know whether s/.bar sound settings supercedes any h/phone settings. Thanks jack
I bet you will find those very uncomfortable if worn for very long. I would strongly recommend over ear headphones. They will have much better sound also. You can't go wrong with the quality of sound from Sennheiser phones.

J

jackteet

Enthusiast
Thanks again. Avantree make a model HT280 which have large ear pads that go over the ear. but have no sound modes nor bass and treble adjustment. Should I buy these I wanted to be sure that the sound setting on the s/bar would be the substantive sound over and above any setting of the h/phones/ Thanks jack

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Traditionally, it was the audio front end equipment providing tone controls to the headphones. However, there is much ambiguity in equipment these days for things that should be standard protocol.

For example, my first Blu-Ray player. I wanted to send a secondary audio connection – optical or analog RCA – to a second input on my AVR that would allow me to have one input set up for audio playback, and another set up for movies. However, the player would not output audio via both HDMI and optical simultaneously. It was one or the other.

So, I made sure my next Blu-Ray player, a different brand, had dual HDMI outputs to accomplish the use I desired. Only to find out that it would output audio via HDMI and optical or analog RCA simultaneously. IOW, I didn’t need two HDMI outputs with that brand, and I could have used a cheaper player in their model line with a single HDMI output.

Thus, a function as simple as that, which should be universal across the product type (one way or the other), is instead a manufacturer-by-manufacturer thing. Even worse, you find no information in the user manuals answering the question for someone trying to do his research before he buys.

Likewise, there should be a universal standard in the soundbar segment as to whether or not a soundbar’s settings translate through to its various output connections. But I’m sure there isn’t.

All that to say, there’s no way anyone can predict if your soundbar’s modes or tone controls are going to show up in both its internal speakers and the headphones connected to it. You’re just going to have to take the plunge and “learn on the job,” as it were. Or find an on-line forum dedicated to the soundbar manufacturer’s products. Your chances of getting an answer here are slim, as our members in general aren’t fans of soundbars.

If the soundbar does send its audio processing to the headphone outputs, and the headphones have their own audio processing, you always have the option of using only one or the other.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

J

jackteet

Enthusiast
Hi Wayne, wow thanks so much for the extensive info. I actually wanted a pair of bookshelf speakers and looked at the Edifer speakers but their product section said their speakers would not be compatible with optical connection. I have limited space and the bookshelf speakers cant be more than 10 inches high.A sounbar is not really what I wanted but it offers optical connections which is what I think I need. The TV has a vast selection of connections. All I want to achieve is reasonable sound and the ability to mute audio from the speakers/soundbar so I can have audio only from the headphones. I can turn up the volume without disturbing anyone else in the house. I have only just purchased the c/bar from amazon so I have about 20 days still in which to return them. Any advice would really be great cos at present I am extremely confused and not sure which way to jump.Thanks again jack

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi Wayne, wow thanks so much for the extensive info. I actually wanted a pair of bookshelf speakers and looked at the Edifer speakers but their product section said their speakers would not be compatible with optical connection. I have limited space and the bookshelf speakers cant be more than 10 inches high.A sounbar is not really what I wanted but it offers optical connections which is what I think I need. The TV has a vast selection of connections. All I want to achieve is reasonable sound and the ability to mute audio from the speakers/soundbar so I can have audio only from the headphones. I can turn up the volume without disturbing anyone else in the house. I have only just purchased the c/bar from amazon so I have about 20 days still in which to return them. Any advice would really be great cos at present I am extremely confused and not sure which way to jump.Thanks again jack
These headphones will be perfect for you. You can not connect your phones to that soundbar as it has no optical out only in. So use the optical splitter from you TV optical out and connect one out to the sound bar and one to the headphones. You can not use the soundbar audio settings with the headphones. Again there is no optical out from the soundbar only input.

J

jackteet

Enthusiast
Hi TLS, Thank you so much for the info, I dont understand most of the terminology but shall sort it as I go along. Again msny thanks, jack.

J

jackteet

Enthusiast
Hi TLS, forgive me being a pain but may I run something past you. I appreciate your reco Senn but I am not keen on the look. I prefer avantree HT280 or Avantree Opera. Reading the Majority instruction manual I saw that it takes a 3.5 jack plug, so does the Avantree h/phones and the Hisense TV. Can I therefore forget optical and use the tv h/phone port with a splitter carrying a lead to the h/phones and another to the soundbar. Hope you dont mind me pestering you again. thanks jack

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi TLS, forgive me being a pain but may I run something past you. I appreciate your reco Senn but I am not keen on the look. I prefer avantree HT280 or Avantree Opera. Reading the Majority instruction manual I saw that it takes a 3.5 jack plug, so does the Avantree h/phones and the Hisense TV. Can I therefore forget optical and use the tv h/phone port with a splitter carrying a lead to the h/phones and another to the soundbar. Hope you dont mind me pestering you again. thanks jack
First of all choosing headphones is not fashion shopping like clothing.

Do not use the phone output on the TV that will be low quality. Use the optical out.

I recommended Sennheiser as they have been the leader in quality headphones for years and years. They are also usually very comfortable. Avantree are a here today and gone tomorrow outfit. It is your money, but I do everything I can to avoid junk.

Since you are hard of hearing you need phones with good audio quality. I have never picked up a pairs of Sens that had bad quality sound, but I have from most of the others.

J

jackteet

Enthusiast
Very fair comment and I shall take your advice. From what I can see the Senn connect with the 3.5mm jack plug and are on ear the over ear are beyond my budget. Thanks agin. jack

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
My rooms tiny and I can fit small tower speakers and two little 10” subs . Pictures might help so we can suggest speakers that fit . As bookshelf speakers are fine with a sub.

J

jackteet

Enthusiast
Hi Kingnoob, Many thanks for your very kind offer. However the Majority sound bar fits in the bottom of the tv unit and it is constructed so that the speakers point upwards and inline with our ears. The Avantree h/phones have optical in and out so connecting with the soundbar and tv should be a doddle. I have decided to connect up and see what the end result is like, I have time to return the sounbar to amazon for a refund should I decide that bookshelf speakers are the only was forward. Thanks again and shall come back with an up-date. jack

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Kingnoob, Many thanks for your very kind offer. However the Majority sound bar fits in the bottom of the tv unit and it is constructed so that the speakers point upwards and inline with our ears. The Avantree h/phones have optical in and out so connecting with the soundbar and tv should be a doddle. I have decided to connect up and see what the end result is like, I have time to return the sounbar to amazon for a refund should I decide that bookshelf speakers are the only was forward. Thanks again and shall come back with an up-date. jack
OK update us later.
Yeah it’s funny I got speakers if I wanted a soundbar I’d need a new tv Stand or riser I don’t have space for a sound bar under my TV . You should just keep testing out the sounbar.:cool:

J

jackteet

Enthusiast
Sods law. My initial reaction is very good. soundbar is a perfect fit in the tv unit and looks good. I am still playing around with the sound modes, bass and treble adjustment but so far very pleased with the sounbar and the avantree Opera h/phones. These have the same sound modes, bass and treble adjustment as the s/bar, so playing with those as well. Looked at a few bookshelf speakers but there were very few that could be connected to h/phones. For some reason most s/bars could. Anyway thus far am happy and both h/phones and s/bar are a vast improvement over the old ones and not very expensive into the bargain.
May I thank you guys for all your help and advice. jack

J

jackteet

Enthusiast
Hi Guys, For some reason I have those terrible rainbow colours at the end on my comment. I dont know why they are there but I want to get rid of them, how please do I achieve that. thanks

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Guys, For some reason I have those terrible rainbow colours at the end on my comment. I dont know why they are there but I want to get rid of them, how please do I achieve that. thanks
You can't. It is someone else's reaction to your post.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis