HDMI 1.3 cable for 4K??? or HDMI over ethernet cable?

M

markustg

Enthusiast
Well, today Best buy installed my Samsung Q60R QLED tv today with the HDMI over ethernet adapter and my firestick 4K does send a 4K signal to the TV from my Denon surround sound receiver.

The screen on the program I watched from the Firestick started in 1080P mode in the credits (it shows resolution at the bottom of the screen) and then changed to ultra HD when the program started.

The image difference from the 1080P to Ulta HD was significant.

I did not test the older HDMI 1.3 cable to see if it would send 4K to the TV, but I will and will post.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe I’m unclear on the product, but not sure how you can get 18Gbps if CAT6 only supports a max of 1Gbps. Even CAT7 is only 10Gbps.
Cat-5e and Cat-6 cables are fully capable of 10Gb/s transfer of data, but not at the full 100m (328') which they are rated to carry a 1Gb/s signal.

Distances drop off rather quickly, but often residential installations have cables which are under 50' in length. This opens up the much higher data rates for the distances which are commonly used in residential systems.

Found this link: https://www.universalnetworks.co.uk/blog/10gbaset-can-this-be-run-over-cat5e/
It indicates 10Gb/s is supported up to 45m (about 150') which is much longer than the typical residential run of cat-5e cabling.

I use cat-5e throughout my home and with my 1080p content I haven't had any issues (3.3Gb/s) with video transmission. I am just starting to deal with 4K at 10Gb/s over the same cabling.

18Gb/s currently uses a real time CODEC to get 2:1 compression and fall within the 10Gb/s transmission window.

I think all of this is about chip sets which are better at error correction. It certainly has been working in my home so far. At some point I will have some 4K/30 sources going out over my setup and we will have a better idea of what my existing cabling is capable of.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Cat-5e and Cat-6 cables are fully capable of 10Gb/s transfer of data, but not at the full 100m (328') which they are rated to carry a 1Gb/s signal.

Distances drop off rather quickly, but often residential installations have cables which are under 50' in length. This opens up the much higher data rates for the distances which are commonly used in residential systems.

Found this link: https://www.universalnetworks.co.uk/blog/10gbaset-can-this-be-run-over-cat5e/
It indicates 10Gb/s is supported up to 45m (about 150') which is much longer than the typical residential run of cat-5e cabling.

I use cat-5e throughout my home and with my 1080p content I haven't had any issues (3.3Gb/s) with video transmission. I am just starting to deal with 4K at 10Gb/s over the same cabling.

18Gb/s currently uses a real time CODEC to get 2:1 compression and fall within the 10Gb/s transmission window.

I think all of this is about chip sets which are better at error correction. It certainly has been working in my home so far. At some point I will have some 4K/30 sources going out over my setup and we will have a better idea of what my existing cabling is capable of.
OK sounds like it’s possible but unclear if it’s ideal. Either way, very informative post. Thanks! :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
OK sounds like it’s possible but unclear if it’s ideal. Either way, very informative post. Thanks! :)
Oh, it's definitely ideal and heavily used. Cat6 is definitely capable as well. As a standard, we often use shielded cat-6 for our commercial work. The results are consistently excellent, but we aren't playing much with 4K/60 content yet. It may never be practical in most commercial installations.

But, because HD-Base-T is so reliable and the need for custom lengths of cable is all over the place, the ability to use category cable is just completely awesome.

I have a 16x16 card based switcher in my basement for video. It's been pretty close to perfect. Every now and then it seems to have a power surge, but not much of a thing to deal with considering how well it typically works and my ability to send anything anywhere in my setup.

M

markustg

Enthusiast
So,

The HDMI over eithernet works great, the TV shows UHD (vs 1080P) when I play 4K and its an amazing picture.

I did do the experiment and ran the 4K signal on the HDMI 1.3 cable that is already there. There were little "sparklely" anomolies in the 4K picture, which as far as I can tell, means that the HDMI 1.3 could not carry the signal correctly.

I was not crazy about the cost of the HDMI over Eithernet switch, but it works so I'll leave it as it is.

There may have been a Monoprice product that would have worked, but I did not test one.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I completely misread the title and thought this was about ridiculously expensive cables... lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis