HD DVD Conceding Defeat This Week? - Condeded!

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Here's one part of the article I though was strange:

While it's true that nobody like misinformation, how does misinformation about a defunct format constitute THE "big downside"? If that is THE big downside, then things are pretty okay, IMO.
The big downside is that media consumers (that's us) took a big hit; in part because of misinformation about there being a quality difference between the two formats.

If you think there's no downside to the content owners winning this, watch what happens. It's not a good thing that a content owner is setting the hardware rules.

I think a big part of the problem is that some people think of Sony as part of the hardware community, like Denon, Toshiba, or Yamaha; just because they make TVs & receivers. Sony is not on our side, but rather dedicated to restricting our use of any media we already own.

DiVx died, partly (mostly if you ask me) because it had to be connected to the Internet or (really, phone line) in order to continue working. The way Blu-ray is going, it's turning into the same thing.

Want to watch that new release movie? Better get that firmware update or it won't play. They had better tread lightly. Just because Sony "won" the war, doesn't mean they can't single-handedly push themselves into irrelevancy by alienating consumers.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone interested in a cheap A2 with 5 free HD movies? :eek:

No reasonable offer refused. :(

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Hmmmm....

Wonder if I will get my 5 free movies. I am sitting right at the 8 week mark so they "should" have come anytime. They cashed my check on Jan 3rd 2008 and if I am not going to get them, the movies, I want my $10 back :mad:

I guess that the end of HD-DVD is a bit of a pain, but ever since the warner announcement I did know it was coming. Will have to stock right up on titles when the fire sales hit :)

Cheers all
Michael

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
i needed a dvd player for my daughters room and almost bought an A3. i found a denon dvd 1930 for $94 and bought instead. i think that i made the right choice.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
i needed a dvd player for my daughters room and almost bought an A3. i found a denon dvd 1930 for $94 and bought instead. i think that i made the right choice.
For $25 more you would have done well with the A3 too. The A3 does a better job (PQ only) with DVD than my 3910 and you get 7 free HD movies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis