Have a question on the crown XTI 6002

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've actually contacted him we have been having some discussions it's really tempting to try those out
If I was buying I would be too. The builds look great, ASR was impressed and the prices are nice. Plus I like that the builder took a few review criticisms constructively to upgrade/update consecutive models. I didn't dig deep enough to see about any guarantees or warranty info tho. From what I understand it's pretty much a 1 man operation, right?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I will never disagree with Peng on matters such as this. He's forgotten more about amps than I'll ever know.

That said, I sit 15' from my speakers and did a quick n dirty calculation with my monolith's specs (350 wpc @ 4 ohms) and came up with 108 dB. Subtract 3 dB for 4 ohms and I'd be right at 105 dB. I know, it's sloppy mathing but that does put it right at reference with no more headroom. Are you running into...

You know what just struck me... Who am I to question you if you want a new amp anyway?? I have 3 huge subs and gobs of power I don't need myself!
Here's the deal bro I already own these since I took them off sub duty they're just collecting dust so I kind off thought why not? Lol
Yeah PENG and me found that I can get to 105 db but it takes everything that amp has no wiggle room at all. I like a little headroom every now and then I do like to turn it up a little or push it for my friends every once in awhile

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If I was buying I would be too. The builds look great, ASR was impressed and the prices are nice. Plus I like that the builder took a few review criticisms constructively to upgrade/update consecutive models. I didn't dig deep enough to see about any guarantees or warranty info tho. From what I understand it's pretty much a 1 man operation, right?
Yeah it is we've just started talking so until I'd be ready to buy I don't want to bug him about warranties and stuff since he has a waiting list until I've decided I'm serious. I just feel it's disrespectful to grill the man with some questions until I'm ready to pull the trigger you know? Or at the least be a serious buyer

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OTOH may not be any discernible difference either.....but one way to find out, sort of, since you're not really setting up a comparison.....unless you do (like one channel on the crown, one on the anthem and compare in mono perhaps?) is to install 'em and see what you think.

Is Buckeye even UL approved ? I'd think you'd have to treat it more like your own diy build you had someone else build for ya....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Here's the deal bro I already own these since I took them off sub duty they're just collecting dust so I kind off thought why not? Lol
Yeah PENG and me found that I can get to 105 db but it takes everything that amp has no wiggle room at all. I like a little headroom every now and then I do like to turn it up a little or push it for my friends every once in awhile
Also Anthem has one thing it does that bugs the crap out of me. It doesn't tell you where reference is on the volume. Onkyo does it Denon does it. But Anthem doesn't. So I have no idea where I'm at relative to reference when I set a volume level. Which makes me nervous since I know at some point I'm maxing that amp. Don't want to clip it so I'd like an amp in there with some headroom

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm feelin' ya, and acknowledged that reference level was right up to the hairy edge of its capabilities (and was spot on when I subtracted 3 dB!). I'd absolutely try the Crowns if I had them on hand. In fact I'd just use them and not worry about getting an ATI. Just be careful with your volume. It wouldn't take too much to figure out where on your volume dial you shouldn't go above. Then use your avr to set the limit. Boom.

I think my ears would give out before those speakers would tho. I love your speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also Anthem has one thing it does that bugs the crap out of me. It doesn't tell you where reference is on the volume. Onkyo does it Denon does it. But Anthem doesn't. So I have no idea where I'm at relative to reference when I set a volume level. Which makes me nervous since I know at some point I'm maxing that amp. Don't want to clip it so I'd like an amp in there with some headroom
That surprises me, I assumed they were able to be calibrated to a thx standard....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
OTOH may not be any discernible difference either.....but one way to find out, sort of, since you're not really setting up a comparison.....unless you do (like one channel on the crown, one on the anthem and compare in mono perhaps?) is to install 'em and see what you think.

Is Buckeye even UL approved ? I'd think you'd have to treat it more like your own diy build you had someone else build for ya....
Other then desire for headroom for clipping concerns I'm just curious what an amp like this will do compared soundwise to a so-called nicer home theater amp.

I won't be AB ing though but if I was blind testing I bet I may not hear a difference

But I'm still curious

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That surprises me, I assumed they were able to be calibrated to a thx standard....
Yeah it's weird bro me and PENG were talking about that he has owned Anthem gear before and noticed the same issue with them not telling you what reference is with the volume

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Other then desire for headroom for clipping concerns I'm just curious what an amp like this will do compared soundwise to a so-called nicer home theater amp.

I won't be AB ing though but if I was blind testing I bet I may not hear a difference

But I'm still curious
Avr to consumer power amp to pro power amp has never yielded such an audible difference for me....just switched out my Carvers for Crowns (Carvers were working together to make bad noises). I was just going to use the avr, but don't have any subs that need the Crowns right now....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah it's weird bro me and PENG were talking about that he has owned Anthem gear before and noticed the same issue with them not telling you what reference is with the volume
So it just uses an arbitrary volume scale? Is it at least dB based?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So it just uses an arbitrary volume scale? Is it at least dB based?
It starts at -90 quietest and goes to +10. An owner on AVS told me he believes it's -10. But that's not confirmed

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It starts at -90 quietest and goes to +10. An owner on AVS told me he believes it's -10. But that's not confirmed
That would depend on your distances from the speakers tho, right? Isn't -10 going to be different depending on how far you sit from your speakers? Or do you mean after calibration? I always thought it was zero.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

But I'm still curious
I just read that there's a compartment on the backs of your 831s you can open and fill with sand! Like 100 lbs of sand, and it's s'posed to help stiffen the cabs and tame resonances. I did not know that.

M

MuvLuv

Audiophyte
Hello I’ve purchased all crown power amplifiers and one of them being a xti 6002 to power some Cerwin Vega xls-215 at 550 watts at 6 ohms, 1 xls-2502 to power 1x2 bose 301 which is rated at 8 ohms but the way I am running them they equal 4 ohms, and another xls 2502 to power a single pair of bose 301 and a xls 1502 to power a kilpsch rp-250c amp in bridged mode. Something I just realized if you want the best performance out of any of these amps you need pro speakers and the xti-6002 has some pre built dsp configurations for certain jbl speakers which will tune the amp to get the most you can get out of it but you need all pro equipment, audio is fun home hifi is a joke the real is only at pro audio equipment that is the only option if you want the best of the best.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hello I’ve purchased all crown power amplifiers and one of them being a xti 6002 to power some Cerwin Vega xls-215 at 550 watts at 6 ohms, 1 xls-2502 to power 1x2 bose 301 which is rated at 8 ohms but the way I am running them they equal 4 ohms, and another xls 2502 to power a single pair of bose 301 and a xls 1502 to power a kilpsch rp-250c amp in bridged mode. Something I just realized if you want the best performance out of any of these amps you need pro speakers and the xti-6002 has some pre built dsp configurations for certain jbl speakers which will tune the amp to get the most you can get out of it but you need all pro equipment, audio is fun home hifi is a joke the real is only at pro audio equipment that is the only option if you want the best of the best.
Where did you get that info saying that with pro audio amps, you would get the best sound with pro audio speakers? It doesn't make any sense.

I am using QSC Cinema amps in my HT system. I used to have Altec A7 Voice of the theater speaker components. I prefer the audiophile quality loudspeaker components with which I designed the speakers I am using at present. The large 511 horns were too big for my listening room. At present, the speakers have a smoother frequency response and I get a more efficient low frequency response with the Dayton subwoofers down to below 20 Hz.

The pro audio 15 inch Altec woofers are very sensitive but at the expense of an inefficient low frequency response because of their low Qts. That is the problem with pro audio woofers. Most of them cannot produce efficient frequency response below 40 Hz.

Last edited:
M

MuvLuv

Audiophyte
Where did you get that info saying that with pro audio amps, you would get the best sound with pro audio speakers? It doesn't make any sense.

I am using QSC Cinema amps in my HT system. I used to have Altec A7 Voice of the theater speaker components. I prefer the audiophile quality loudspeaker components with which I designed the speakers I am using at present. The large 511 horns were too big for my listening room. At present, the speakers have a smoother frequency response and I get a more efficient low frequency response with the Dayton subwoofers down to below 20 Hz.

The pro audio 15 inch Altec woofers are very sensitive but at the expense of an inefficient low frequency response because of their low Qts. That is the problem with pro audio woofers. Most of them cannot produce efficient frequency response below 40 Hz.
I get that but I have a Cerwin Vega cvx-21s that goes down to 29hz and another Cerwin Vega el-36dp that goes down to 35 hz I think but it goes up to 600hz and a little above and the CVX-21s I think only gets to 300hz for pro equipment especially subwoofers its better to have one with an internal amplifier, also music is not the same as movies the frequencies are a little different I use my system generally for music so I have no complaints just all my speakers are overpowered besides the subs or the bass speakers which is the best sounding of all my speakers. I got this information from a thread a while back that for any HiFI equipment there is pro equipment that will match it or beat it so if you want the best it’s in the pro section you just need to do research and jbl does have a good line of pro speakers along with many other companie, pro is for loud and clean sound hifi is for low and clean sound I guess, but pro can also play very low while also very high you get a choice unlike with HiFI that is usually overpriced per watt you get for performance. I saw a amplifier that put out about 500 watts and the asking price is 40,000 usd while the crown xti is 6000 watts at 2,199 usd, you do the math one is a scam the other is legit.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I get that but I have a Cerwin Vega cvx-21s that goes down to 29hz and another Cerwin Vega el-36dp that goes down to 35 hz I think but it goes up to 600hz and a little above and the CVX-21s I think only gets to 300hz for pro equipment especially subwoofers its better to have one with an internal amplifier, also music is not the same as movies the frequencies are a little different I use my system generally for music so I have no complaints just all my speakers are overpowered besides the subs or the bass speakers which is the best sounding of all my speakers. I got this information from a thread a while back that for any HiFI equipment there is pro equipment that will match it or beat it so if you want the best it’s in the pro section you just need to do research and jbl does have a good line of pro speakers along with many other companie, pro is for loud and clean sound hifi is for low and clean sound I guess, but pro can also play very low while also very high you get a choice unlike with HiFI that is usually overpriced per watt you get for performance. I saw a amplifier that put out about 500 watts and the asking price is 40,000 usd while the crown xti is 6000 watts at 2,199 usd, you do the math one is a scam the other is legit.
You have a lot to learn about audio. Pro audio gear is made for a specific purpose. So is home gear. You can interchange some of it with excellent results, but other pro gear should never be in a home system. Speakers would be one of those things. Pro speakers are for putting out high spl cleanly for large open areas. Home speakers are generally made for much, much smaller rooms with people sitting relatively close so they don't need to be as sensitive, or play as loud.

Putting an amp against another based on wattage capability and money alone tells very little of the story. There is a lot more to it than that.

M

MuvLuv

Audiophyte
You have a lot to learn about audio. Pro audio gear is made for a specific purpose. So is home gear. You can interchange some of it with excellent results, but other pro gear should never be in a home system. Speakers would be one of those things. Pro speakers are for putting out high spl cleanly for large open areas. Home speakers are generally made for much, much smaller rooms with people sitting relatively close so they don't need to be as sensitive, or play as loud.

Putting an amp against another based on wattage capability and money alone tells very little of the story. There is a lot more to it than that.
I only have to learn about components I don’t already own so not much for me to learn. There is no such thing as a one trick pony except God, now with that out of the way this is what I meant to say, pro audio is for music and home HiFI is for home entertainment , if you listen to more music like me go pro, if you watch “entertainment“ go with home HiFI. No one trick pony, pro for music and HiFI for entertainment

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I only have to learn about components I don’t already own so not much for me to learn. There is no such thing as a one trick pony except God, now with that out of the way this is what I meant to say, pro audio is for music and home HiFI is for home entertainment , if you listen to more music like me go pro, if you watch “entertainment“ go with home HiFI. No one trick pony, pro for music and HiFI for entertainment
You don't think home speakers are for music?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis