Have a question on the crown XTI 6002

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well boys I'm going to eventually need to beef up my amp for my front 3. Now down the road I plan on going home theater amps ATI but since I purchased my limit on audio this year I'll have to wait

But in the meantime....... ;)

I have a pair of Crown XTI 6002 I got on a good deal last year. I wanted to run them for subs but they aren't optimal for that.

But...mmmmm. What do you guys think about using them for now to drive my front 3 RBH-SV831R?

They like power the RBH they are 4 ohm nominal speakers one thing I've always loved about pro amps is they have no problems with driving lower impedance loads these are 2 ohm stable.

I've noticed when I listen to music my Anthem MCA 525 is hitting its limits I do sit far back in a big room doing the math with PENG the other day I have no headroom in this amp from where I sit.

Sooooooooo...... What do you fellas think? Some good feedback is appreciated. Any pros or cons?

I'm not unhappy with the sound but in music I can tell I have to be careful with it. Since I have 2 of these beasts just sitting here unused I figured why not?

I will have to replace them tho next year I do like aesthetics and my rack is visible in this room. I know that's silly but they are ugly as sin but just for now you know?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well boys I'm going to eventually need to beef up my amp for my front 3. Now down the road I plan on going home theater amps ATI but since I purchased my limit on audio this year I'll have to wait

But in the meantime....... ;)

I have a pair of Crown XTI 6002 I got on a good deal last year. I wanted to run them for subs but they aren't optimal for that.

But...mmmmm. What do you guys think about using them for now to drive my front 3 RBH-SV831R?

They like power the RBH they are 4 ohm nominal speakers one thing I've always loved about pro amps is they have no problems with driving lower impedance loads these are 2 ohm stable.

I've noticed when I listen to music my Anthem MCA 525 is hitting its limits I do sit far back in a big room doing the math with PENG the other day I have no headroom in this amp from where I sit.

Sooooooooo...... What do you fellas think? Some good feedback is appreciated. Any pros or cons?

I'm not unhappy with the sound but in music I can tell I have to be careful with it. Since I have 2 of these beasts just sitting here unused I figured why not?

I will have to replace them tho next year I do like aesthetics and my rack is visible in this room. I know that's silly but they are ugly as sin but just for now you know?
In my opinion, you could try using them. Those SV831Rs can be are power hungry to get to acceptable SPL at a more than average listening distance, but they are limited to a 500 watt power for a sudden peak which would last for a fraction of a second.

The Crown XTi 6002 is a powerful 1200 watt/ch amp. It has gain (volume) controls and I would set them at 1/3 of their full gain. But you have to keep in mind that a gain control on a power amp does not limit its total possible peak power. You would have to go easy with the volume with that sort of amp power. If you can afford a QSC DCA series of amps at present, I would rather recommend that you get one as soon as possible for starters. You could use it on your left and right fronts. They have excellent specs and you can't kill them. The DCA 1222 would be ideal although a DCA 1622 would also be suitable:

I'm using three of those DCA 1222s on my main speakers in an active bi-amping configuration. They perform with no audible difference from any good audiophile quality amplifier. If your listening distance from them is 10 feet or more, you won't hear the variable speed cooling fans. A good distributor is cinemanext.com

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That 525 is a little sparse on specs on the Anthem site. Looks like 225 wpc @8 ohms. Is there a 4 ohm rating?

Your speakers are published at 93 dB sensitivity, right? I'm cornfused, lol.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
In my opinion, you could try using them. Those SV831Rs can be are power hungry to get to acceptable SPL at a more than average listening distance, but they are limited to a 500 watt power for a sudden peak which would last for a fraction of a second.

The Crown XTi 6002 is a powerful 1200 watt/ch amp. It has gain (volume) controls and I would set them at 1/3 of their full gain. But you have to keep in mind that a gain control on a power amp does not limit its total possible peak power. You would have to go easy with the volume with that sort of amp power. If you can afford a QSC DCA series of amps at present, I would rather recommend that you get one as soon as possible. They have excellent specs and you can't kill them. The DCA 1222 would be ideal although a DCA 1622 would also be suitable:

I'm using three of those DCA 1222s on my main speakers in an active bi-amping configuration. They perform with no audible difference from any good audiophile quality amplifier. If your listening distance from them is 10 feet or more, you won't hear the variable speed cooling fans. A good distributor is cinemanext.com

Yeah you make some great points I'm not sure I want to go crazy on these speakers. They like power but these amps are POWERFUL.
I know it's better on speakers to have more not less but still there are limits
I really appreciate the advice let me dig in to your amps you suggested I've always liked those amps you use. Although I can't really spend more this year. I hit my budget for the year lol.

I may just have to stay off of music in that room until I'm ready to go with ATI

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

The Crown XTi 6002 is a powerful 1200 watt/ch amp. It has gain (volume) controls and I would set them at 1/3 of their full gain. But you have to keep in mind that a gain control on a power amp does not limit its total possible peak power. You would have to go easy with the volume with that sort of amp power. If you can afford a QSC DCA series of amps at present, I would rather recommend that you get one as soon as possible for starters. You could use it on your left and right fronts. They have excellent specs and you can't kill them. The DCA 1222 would be ideal although a DCA 1622 would also be suitable:

I really like they're specs I can see why they sound so good for you! Thanks for the tip I'll need to check out pricing.
Plus I like the way they'd look in my rack a heck of a lot more then the crowns lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That 525 is a little sparse on specs on the Anthem site. Looks like 225 wpc @8 ohms. Is there a 4 ohm rating?

Your speakers are published at 93 dB sensitivity, right? I'm cornfused, lol.
The MCA 525 has a 4ohm and even 2 ohm rating but that rating is a little robust for the size of the power supply your getting.

Plus at the distance I'm at PENG helped me calculate that amp has no headroom if I'd ever need some it's stretched to its limits. And thats if it can really hit its rating continuous which I'm skeptical it can do.

The RBH are 4ohms nominal speak ers great sensitivity tho. Which helps but still at longer distances they need some power

I can tell the MCA is a little pushed at music when I want to push it

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The MCA 525 has a 4ohm and even 2 ohm rating but that rating is a little robust for the size of the power supply your getting.

Plus at the distance I'm at PENG helped me calculate that amp has no headroom if I'd ever need some it's stretched to its limits. And thats if it can really hit its rating continuous which I'm skeptical it can do.

The RBH are 4ohms nominal speak ers great sensitivity tho. Which helps but still at longer distances they need some power

I can tell the MCA is a little pushed at music when I want to push it
I will never disagree with Peng on matters such as this. He's forgotten more about amps than I'll ever know.

That said, I sit 15' from my speakers and did a quick n dirty calculation with my monolith's specs (350 wpc @ 4 ohms) and came up with 108 dB. Subtract 3 dB for 4 ohms and I'd be right at 105 dB. I know, it's sloppy mathing but that does put it right at reference with no more headroom. Are you running into...

You know what just struck me... Who am I to question you if you want a new amp anyway?? I have 3 huge subs and gobs of power I don't need myself!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I will never disagree with Peng on matters such as this. He's forgotten more about amps than I'll ever know.

That said, I sit 15' from my speakers and did a quick n dirty calculation with my monolith's specs (350 wpc @ 4 ohms) and came up with 108 dB. Subtract 3 dB for 4 ohms and I'd be right at 105 dB. I know, it's sloppy mathing but that does put it right at reference with no more headroom. Are you running into...

You know what just struck me... Who am I to question you if you want a new amp anyway?? I have 3 huge subs and gobs of power I don't need myself!
I don't understand your point. Why do you substract 3 dB for 4 ohms? Shouldn't you add 3 dB instead? An amplifier with an adequate power supply should double its output power at 4 ohms as it would be at 8 ohms, for a certain output voltage.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't understand your point. Why do you substract 3 dB for 4 ohms? Shouldn't you add 3 dB instead? An amplifier with an adequate power supply should double its output power at 4 ohms as it would be at 8 ohms.
My point is that I could hit reference levels with an amp very similar in specs to his.

I used the homestead spl calculator to figure it out and it's only accurate for wattage into straight 8 ohms. I was only guessing that subtracting 3 dB would make up for a 4 ohm speaker and be closer to the mark. At the very least it's more conservative. If we're adding 3 dB then it's possible to hit 111 dB at 15' with his speakers and 350 watts.

PS, I neglected to mention I was using the homestead spl calculator in that post. That's why I subtracted 3 dB.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm just gonna set this here and let my Zilla-man consider if he chooses. ;) Dude that started this company is in Ohio and a member at that other site posting under BuckeyeAmps...
Anyway, just something to consider:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm just gonna set this here and let my Zilla-man consider if he chooses. ;) Dude that started this company is in Ohio and a member at that other site posting under BuckeyeAmps...
Oh boy, he's added to his lineup since last I looked. Those are looking better and better.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Do the Crowns have a voltage limiter built in? If so, set the limiter to match your Speakers Peak power or just a hair below... ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Why the hesitation/hold up in trying out the Crowns? :)
I'm just a little nervous in blowing up my speakers. Lol. Maybe you could help me here Lovin. I mean those RBH can take a lot of power but in 4ohm those crowns are putting out way more power like 4 times the amount.
But I know I've seen this on some pro sites where they say your amps should put out way more power then your speakers. They should have more headroom. Am I correct on what I've read? I know that's mostly for large venues but still it should apply somewhat to home theater as well Id imagine
Anyways I'm curious just to see what a different lineup of crowns with an AB topology can sound like. It will be interesting to see if I can tell any difference between them and the Anthem.
So as long as I don't risk blowing up my new speakers I might just put them in next weekend when I'm off and do a thread so we can all have some fun with it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Do the Crowns have a voltage limiter built in? If so, set the limiter to match your Speakers Peak power or just a hair below... ;)
I believe they do have peak limiter and other abilities built in I'll have to check that out over the week

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Oh boy, he's added to his lineup since last I looked. Those are looking better and better.
I've actually contacted him we have been having some discussions it's really tempting to try those out

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks Ryan I actually PM'd him awhile back. We are talking I'm very curious about those amps

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Damn those prices for that kind off power is amazing in a multichannel configuration is amazing

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm just a little nervous in blowing up my speakers. Lol. Maybe you could help me here Lovin. I mean those RBH can take a lot of power but in 4ohm those crowns are putting out way more power like 4 times the amount.
But I know I've seen this on some pro sites where they say your amps should put out way more power then your speakers. They should have more headroom. Am I correct on what I've read? I know that's mostly for large venues but still it should apply somewhat to home theater as well Id imagine
Anyways I'm curious just to see what a different lineup of crowns with an AB topology can sound like. It will be interesting to see if I can tell any difference between them and the Anthem.
So as long as I don't risk blowing up my new speakers I might just put them in next weekend when I'm off and do a thread so we can all have some fun with it.
If you're just going to keep feeding them power until they blow, that's one thing but....why would you feed them full bore power otoh? I think with judicious use of the volume control you'd be okay. Having double the power on hand for peaks is one thing, feeding it continuously is another. I've many times used amps with double the max ratings if not more without damaging speakers....

Maybe do the math first if worried so you know about where on the volume dial you might be asking for trouble, and be a bit conservative if worried. Setting up the peak limiters in the amps should offer a bit of protection help.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If you're just going to keep feeding them power until they blow, that's one thing but....why would you feed them full bore power otoh? I think with judicious use of the volume control you'd be okay. Having double the power on hand for peaks is one thing, feeding it continuously is another. I've many times used amps with double the max ratings if not more without damaging speakers....

Maybe do the math first if worried so you know about where on the volume dial you might be asking for trouble, and be a bit conservative if worried. Setting up the peak limiters in the amps should offer a bit of protection help.
Okay I've always been careful with the volume. Yeah this sounds like fun if I can set it up for next weekend or the next I'll do it. I'll have to redo and move around my rack to make room so I want to wait till I have a full weekend off from work to do it

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis