Has Dolby Home Atmos Been a Step Forward for Home Audio?

Do you think Dolby's Home Atmos hasbeen a positive move on the whole for home audio?

• Yes, Home Atmos has been a move in the right direction.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Dolby's Home Atmos has overall been good for home audio but has some flaws.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Home Atmos has become a misbegotten mess for home audio.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • I don't know what a Dolby Home Atmos is. Help, I am lost and scared!

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So if most people were offered Atmos 100% free including equipment and installation, most people would say, “Absolutely no, I don’t want to clutter my home?”

Getting millions of people excited about their Atmos system is more harm for the hobby because why? They’re enjoying themselves too much?

Hearing things overhead like airplanes, helicopters, birds, rain on roof, people on 2nd floor, etc., is more harm for the hobby?

This is only a hobby for FUN and ENJOYMENT.

If people don’t enjoy it, they don’t need to have it.

And if people are enjoying Atmos immensely, that’s a good thing.
We did an Audioholics Livestream about this a couple years ago, I think I addressed most of those points. Nothing has happened since then to change my mind.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Since Apple is now delivering hundreds of Dolby ATMOS Music titles, which are accessed easily via an iPhone connected to headphones or an Apple TV connected to an AVR, I predict success for Dolby ATMOS Music. After all, having heard it, going back to stereo is like going back to a Coke gone flat, no fizz. Also, Sony is now marketing ATMOS sound bar and wireless speaker/Wi-Fi box kits which makes Dolby ATMOS an uncomplicated, convenient, and inexpensive means to the surround experience, so I’m all in for it, hoping it picks up from the 5.1 SACD means to multi-channel.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah only audiophiles use lots of speakers it seems , soundbar wouldn’t had taken over market otherwise. Despite being inferior to a multiple speakers system or well even 2-3ch.

I have to hear about using 7.2 or -9 speakers total as being too many, I was like no it’s not enough…!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s just a hobby, so there’s no right vs wrong for many cases.

I have a 26ft x 22ft x 14ft HT room, and my system is only 5.1.4. If @Movie2099 has the same room, he would have 24 speakers. No, make that 32 speakers. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
It’s just a hobby, so there’s no right vs wrong for many cases.

I have a 26ft x 22ft x 14ft HT room, and my system is only 5.1.4. If @Movie2099 has the same room, he would have 24 speakers. No, make that 32 speakers. :D
Hahaha you are absolutely correct!! Same room dimensions I would totally go with a full 32 speaker system. :p

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Since Apple is now delivering hundreds of Dolby ATMOS Music titles, which are accessed easily via an iPhone connected to headphones or an Apple TV connected to an AVR, I predict success for Dolby ATMOS Music. After all, having heard it, going back to stereo is like going back to a Coke gone flat, no fizz. Also, Sony is now marketing ATMOS sound bar and wireless speaker/Wi-Fi box kits which makes Dolby ATMOS an uncomplicated, convenient, and inexpensive means to the surround experience, so I’m all in for it, hoping it picks up from the 5.1 SACD means to multi-channel.
Apple, with all of its proprietary foolishness, in this day and age, will doom mainstream adoption of Atmos music..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha you are absolutely correct!! Same room dimensions I would totally go with a full 32 speaker system. :p
We’re talking about a hobby with the main purpose of relieving our stress and making us happier and putting that big smile on our faces. It’s our antidepressant. :D

It’s not some requirement in life. None of us are saying people must embrace Atmos. If we are completely happy with 2CH Stereo or 5.1CH DD/DTS or 32CH Atmos/DTSX, then that’s what we get.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
That would be overkill. Commercial theaters use lots of speakers because of the large size of the venue. Small rooms do not need that many speakers to create an immersive sound field.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Atmos has been a 'step forward' for speaker makers, wire makers, and home re-modeling contractors. :p

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
That would be overkill. Commercial theaters use lots of speakers because of the large size of the venue. Small rooms do not need that many speakers to create an immersive sound field.
Of course it's overkill. To some, that's what they want. Me personally I will never have 32 channel. Not saying I couldn't do it, but I have no reason to. I will settle for a 9.4.6 instead.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
We’re talking about a hobby with the main purpose of relieving our stress and making us happier and putting that big smile on our faces. It’s our antidepressant. :D

It’s not some requirement in life. None of us are saying people must embrace Atmos. If we are completely happy with 2CH Stereo or 5.1CH DD/DTS or 32CH Atmos/DTSX, then that’s what we get.
Exactly. Home theater is definitely a hobby. Unless you start a home theater company and really love building theaters. :p Haha. Though yes for 99% of people it is a fun hobby. Some people's hobbies cost over $1million others $1k or less. This hobby is fun and provides so much. It's fun seeing all the brands, room builds, reviews, etc.. out there. This would be a boring hobby if everybody had the same thing and same layout.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Pick your poison. Some like shoes. You can't wear 32 pair at a time but you can enjoy 32 channels watching an atmos movie.;)

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Pick your poison. Some like shoes. You can't wear 32 pair at a time but you can enjoy 32 channels watching an atmos movie.;)
Exactly! that's why at places like Cedia they build rooms that have 24+ speaker system. To WOW you! so you can write about how flipping awesome a 24+ channel system is and how everyone should have one! Are they practical? probably not, but if it made me happy to have that many speakers to give me a fully immersive experience, then heck yeah I'm doing it! :D

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Need a very expensive avr or preamp for that wow 32.. trinnov like 20k+?

In a small room anything over 9-12 is overkill but 7 is often enough.. I guess the more the better just more expensive. Multiple subs definitely nice

Soundbar has taken over the market sadly , due to less speakers but it could get more people into audio possibly.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Apple, with all of its proprietary foolishness, in this day and age, will doom mainstream adoption of Atmos music..
No it won’t. You are misinformed. Apple’s promotion of Dolby ATMOS via hundreds of titles enjoyable merely from connection of an iPhone to headphones means exposure of Dolby ATMOS to millions worldwide. That is MAINSTREAM. And, there’s nothing proprietary about Apple Music. You don’t know that you don’t know. ALAC is open source since 2011.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Apple’s support of it can’t help but open it up. Though, they simply could have left it alone and called it Dolby Atmos Music without the “Spatial Audio” nonsense that they and Amazon both use to describe it. Amazon also supports Sony’s Reality 360 Audio and lumps it into the category of “Spatial Audio.” Tidal supports both formats as well. Amazon supports atmos only on Echo Studio and headphones right now, so who gives a s#%t right now? We’ll see how long it takes for other services to support it, if they choose to at all. Not much love for Apple or Tidal ‘round these part but Spotify has yet to even start lossless streaming.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Apple’s support of it can’t help but open it up. Though, they simply could have left it alone and called it Dolby Atmos Music without the “Spatial Audio” nonsense that they and Amazon both use to describe it. Amazon also supports Sony’s Reality 360 Audio and lumps it into the category of “Spatial Audio.” Tidal supports both formats as well. Amazon supports atmos only on Echo Studio and headphones right now, so who gives a s#%t right now? We’ll see how long it takes for other services to support it, if they choose to at all. Not much love for Apple or Tidal ‘round these part but Spotify has yet to even start lossless streaming.
Ah greeed. I think Apple can really help spread Atmos around. But why THE FUKK did they call it spatial audio. The launch of immersive audio, ala Atmos and dtsX has been a clusterfukk as mentioned, and is very confusing. Even for people who understand it.
In any case, despite some tracks that are not super amazing, there are literally hundreds available. And going back through time we find that way too many soundtracks are lackluster, for some reason or another, from ALL formats. So I don’t fault the tech. I fault the lazy fraidycats in the mixing rooms, NOT making compelling soundtracks.
Still. I do not regret going with Atmos for one second. Was it a bitch to install? Yep, kicked my ass. Was it cheap? No, but not bad since I was already almost there.
The upmixers are very good, and when you do get a great immersive track, imo the experience can be very special indeed.
So imo.(again) yes. It’s been a step forward.
At least in my Home Theater.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
No it won’t. You are misinformed. Apple’s promotion of Dolby ATMOS via hundreds of titles enjoyable merely from connection of an iPhone to headphones means exposure of Dolby ATMOS to millions worldwide. That is MAINSTREAM. And, there’s nothing proprietary about Apple Music. You don’t know that you don’t know. ALAC is open source since 2011.
According to Statcounter, the global market share looks like this:

• Android: 72.2%
  • iOS: 26.99%
So I have to get rid of my android smartphone to get a crappy iPhone (SEE WHAT I MEAN) to experience Atmos music through Apple. Once again, Apple will doom Atmos with its proprietary foolishness.

Some of the naivete never fails to not surprise me.

A related story. I downloaded the AppleTV app on my Firestick, guess what 90 percent of the programs can't be watched unless I purchase an Apple TV device.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Ah greeed. I think Apple can really help spread Atmos around. But why THE FUKK did they call it spatial audio. The launch of immersive audio, ala Atmos and dtsX has been a clusterfukk as mentioned, and is very confusing. Even for people who understand it.
In any case, despite some tracks that are not super amazing, there are literally hundreds available. And going back through time we find that way too many soundtracks are lackluster, for some reason or another, from ALL formats. So I don’t fault the tech. I fault the lazy fraidycats in the mixing rooms, NOT making compelling soundtracks.
Still. I do not regret going with Atmos for one second. Was it a bitch to install? Yep, kicked my ass. Was it cheap? No, but not bad since I was already almost there.
The upmixers are very good, and when you do get a great immersive track, imo the experience can be very special indeed.
So imo.(again) yes. It’s been a step forward.
At least in my Home Theater.
Hundreds!! When there are over a million songs recorded.:eek:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hundreds!! When there are over a million songs recorded.:eek:
Well I was talking about movie soundtracks. So we’re talking apples and oranges I guess. My point is still the same

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Atmos over iPhone is a bit off track as the thread refers to a home audio system and Atmos tracks for movies. Atmos, and DTS:X, are both enhancements to the Home audio experience for those who were already enjoying various configurations of "Surround Sound." So, after having installed Atmos speakers in their systems, many are enjoying a new and improved experience. Some tried Atmos Music using Tidal before this thread or Apple Music support came along. Apple Music simply adds another avenue for some to use as many already subscribed to Apple Music and have an Apple TV 4K which also supports Atmos from Tidal like the Amazon Fire devices and Nvidia Shield devices. If somebody cares not for Atmos and has not upgraded their system, then no, it has not been a step forward for them. If you like Atmos movies in your system, it's been a step forward. The addition of Atmos music is just another step for some. Many of those folks also enjoy previously released multichannel music formats. Will there be mainstream adoption of Atmos for Movies or Music? No, as many don't even know what they are getting out of the box anyway. Will those who have added Atmos to their setup on purpose enjoy it. Yup. Does that mean every example of it from movies or music is a stellar example? Nope. But, it's still fun finding the good ones.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis