Has anyone had a positive experience with YPAO at all?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You thinking of Adaptive DRC?
Yes you are right the adaptive DRC and Ypao volume do work together. Both help in different ways when listening at low volume. I use them together then turn them both off. Ypao volume is a loudness eq.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes you are right the adaptive DRC and Ypao volume do work together. Both help in different ways when listening at low volume. I use them together then turn them both off. Ypao volume is a loudness eq.
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't cared for any of the DRC type controls on my avrs, but then I don't need to be careful about volume levels either....but do like loudness compensation like Audyssey's DynamicEQ at lower volumes...

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't cared for any of the DRC type controls on my avrs, but then I don't need to be careful about volume levels either....but do like loudness compensation like Audyssey's DynamicEQ at lower volumes...
Same with me. Dont have to use drc. Never used it in fact. But almost always use ypao volume. I like to feel bass at low volume. Not a big deal to generate bass at ref level. But if i feel bass at low level and it is clean, then to me it is indication of a good hifi system.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Same with me. Dont have to use drc. Never used it in fact. But almost always use ypao volume. I like to feel bass at low volume. Not a big deal to generate bass at ref level. But if i feel bass at low level and it is clean, then to me it is indication of a good hifi system.
I like high volume I guess. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
To tell the truth I got the 2060 in October and the 681 in November and my old 2003 RXV3300 and RXV630 didn’t have these features but I do have some preferences already. And I can change my mind over time. Who knows. Right now, I like it loud. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
To tell the truth I got the 2060 in October and the 681 in November and my old 2003 RXV3300 and RXV630 didn’t have these features but I do have some preferences already. And I can change my mind over time. Who knows. Right now, I like it loud. :)
Ok at lower volume the Ypao volume feature by itself is cool, but at higher volume it is not pleasant to my taste. The Yamaha phone app lets you slide it off and on so it’s easy to mess with. Thanks guys. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You thinking of Adaptive DRC?
Adaptive DRC applies is a funny beast in that it applies more compression during lower volumes and reduces it as the volume is dialed up. I leave it turned off.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Well for me ypao front works best for music on my Elac B6.2 debut series.

Also I think my subwoofer after calibration is too strong, so I had manually change it to -4db, since in gui it was told to set the volume knob of the sub to middle (12 o clock). I guess it's too high. Should I try 10 o clock position and recalibrate from scratch?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well for me ypao front works best for music on my Elac B6.2 debut series.

Also I think my subwoofer after calibration is too strong, so I had manually change it to -4db, since in gui it was told to set the volume knob of the sub to middle (12 o clock). I guess it's too high. Should I try 10 o clock position and recalibrate from scratch?

It definitely wouldn’t hurt. Ypao has a history of poor integration. Did you double check SPL level after calibration, or just go by ear? Preference is preference, but I always like to know.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I’ve found that ypao in my set up at least has trouble with sub settings I run my system it the flat settings it get the distance for all spot on but it puts my subs 3 foot farther back don’t know or understand why but I also tweak the whole system with a spl meter after I’ve run the auto calibration. It always set the level 2 dvd higher on my front right main channel and upon checking with meter have to lower it back down. Thinking it could be a room boundary issue for that speaker . I tried different cross over settings for a long time at 80 and below ypao always sets them at 60 hz but going to 100 to 120 hz and not useing the auto set up settings was my path then useing the flat or threw on the eq .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I’ve found that ypao in my set up at least has trouble with sub settings I run my system it the flat settings it get the distance for all spot on but it puts my subs 3 foot farther back don’t know or understand why but I also tweak the whole system with a spl meter after I’ve run the auto calibration. It always set the level 2 dvd higher on my front right main channel and upon checking with meter have to lower it back down. Thinking it could be a room boundary issue for that speaker . I tried different cross over settings for a long time at 80 and below ypao always sets them at 60 hz but going to 100 to 120 hz and not useing the auto set up settings was my path then useing the flat or threw on the eq .
Ment to say the level on my right front main 2 db’s higher . Small screen big fingers syndrome .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Because it's typical of the sub amp to add a bit of delay itself....and delay is what distance adjusts for, so typically the set distance by an auto setup routine like YPAO or Audyssey will reflect that.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
It definitely wouldn’t hurt. Ypao has a history of poor integration. Did you double check SPL level after calibration, or just go by ear? Preference is preference, but I always like to know.
I played a lot of tracks after calibration, and the sub was certainly overpowering my speakers.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Because it's typical of the sub amp to add a bit of delay itself....and delay is what distance adjusts for, so typically the set distance by an auto setup routine like YPAO or Audyssey will reflect that.
I’ve tried setting the distance back to true measurements and it becomes boomy so I left the setting alone and and set the levels with a hand spl meter and it worked . Ypao always get the others really close with in a couple inch’s I always thought the sub reading was weird but now I get it .

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Anyone who uses any of these correction systems is going to get a compromise, nothing more. It's impossible to create a large 'perfect listening spot' in a room that won't allow it. It's just not possible. These are trying to create a large 'listening bubble', where the flaws are decreased, but not totally.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I played a lot of tracks after calibration, and the sub was certainly overpowering my speakers.

What do you mean by overpowering? It set the sub at too high a level? Or was easy to localize? Or?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was easy to localize

That's not quite the same thing IMO as "overpowering" which more indicates a level problem, which is often a complaint in the other direction for sub level with these auto systems :) I'd suspect more than just the auto program for localization (which is a much better word to describe that phenomena), could well be placement in your room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis