Has anyone had a positive experience with YPAO at all?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

I am asking because I tried everything and in the end just use YPAO volume. Flat and Natural profile sound too brightvto me and cut a good part of the bass. I have minidsp for 8 channels but havent configured it properly yet. Just did quick tests. I would prefer a quick YPAO solution but have a feeling i would have to spend more time on minidsp. Any thoughts? Is xt32 so much better that you guys just use it out of the box?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have successful results on my main and second systems. I haven't run it on my 3rd system yet but I should.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I have successful results on my main and second systems. I haven't run it on my 3rd system yet but I should.
What did you do? Does it sound better with YPAO than without? Did you override any settings manually?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Which model Yamaha do you have? What speakers are you using? Do you use a sub? YPAO sounds fine to me. When I ran it, it set my speakers to large so I just changed them to Small and use a 60hz crossover to the sub. when I go back and forth between YPAO and No YPAO "Through" setting, YPAO sounds better to me. Imaging is better, the music just seems clearer and more focused, if that makes sense. YPAO volume is designed for times when you want to listen at lower volumes. I have not measured, but it seems to boost the midbass or midrange frequencies a bit for sure.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Which model Yamaha do you have? What speakers are you using? Do you use a sub? YPAO sounds fine to me. When I ran it, it set my speakers to large so I just changed them to Small and use a 60hz crossover to the sub. when I go back and forth between YPAO and No YPAO "Through" setting, YPAO sounds better to me. Imaging is better, the music just seems clearer and more focused, if that makes sense. YPAO volume is designed for times when you want to listen at lower volumes. I have not measured, but it seems to boost the midbass or midrange frequencies a bit for sure.
I have a1070, fronts - ProAc 148, Surrounds - ProAc 118, Subs - 2x Svs SB2000. I agree with what you said about staging and clarity. My concern is too much brightness with ypao and a too aggresive cut of the bass. I was playing with Flat, Natural and Through and always go to Through in the end. What i would like is to have something between Flat and Natural but with bass from No YPAO))) I have not triet to change the curve manually. Maybe this is what i should try?

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I use it on movies, now 2.1 I use manual set. The EQ on the Yamaha is really nice my front mains aren’t high end so I was able to Tighten up the mid to low end got good results from doing so. I must admit took me a while to get use to using YPAO.

Mike

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I have a1070, fronts - ProAc 148, Surrounds - ProAc 118, Subs - 2x Svs SB2000. I agree with what you said about staging and clarity. My concern is too much brightness with ypao and a too aggresive cut of the bass. I was playing with Flat, Natural and Through and always go to Through in the end. What i would like is to have something between Flat and Natural but with bass from No YPAO))) I have not triet to change the curve manually. Maybe this is what i should try?
Yeah, you might want to manually change the EQ. I don't have the equipment, knowledge or skill to start messing around with the EQ manually. I'd probably just srew it up. But that may be the answer for you. You have nice speakers. Is your room bright perhaps? Maybe reflections could be an issue? Just trying to brain storm..
I don't know how much weight you give this, but there is a review or 2 out there about the 1060 emphasizing the high frequencies a bit and to be careful of the speakers you pair them with. Like I said though, don't know how much stock you can put in that review.

Last edited:
P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
I always use the through setting for the other ones seem to cut the bass too much for me and don't sound quite right. I have played around alot with this and for me, that works the best for sound quality

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Ok maybe I need to try changing YPAO results after calibration. But looks like I am not the only one who does not like what YPAO does by default.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What did you do? Does it sound better with YPAO than without? Did you override any settings manually?
Models are an RX-V1800 and an RX-V1900 . The only thing I did do before running YPAO is to manually set the speakers to small

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
All those systems are a dead end. You can not Eq a system from a cheap plastic microphone placed at various distances in a room. That will always ruin everything. Trust your ears. I have a really good set up and Audyssey just wreaks havoc on it and I mean havoc.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
All those systems are a dead end. You can not Eq a system from a cheap plastic microphone placed at various distances in a room. That will always ruin everything. Trust your ears. I have a really good set up and Audyssey just wreaks havoc on it and I mean havoc.
While I generally agree, I can see it making improvements on even more dreadful rooms for those who have no clue for the way things are supposed to sound. Like the same people a few decades ago that used to arrange their graphic EQ into the smiley faces. Many of these people are still into audio and never learned. They can actually still do worse than the auto EQ on their own. Everything else, they just mask with even more bass.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Did you ever measure Before vs After with Audyssey?

@PENG posted some Before-After graphs of Audyssey and it seems the Audyssey graphs look pretty linear and great.

You think perhaps the graphs don't really tell the real true story of the actual sound?

IOW, a linear FR graph doesn't necessarily mean that you will like the sound?

I've listened to Audyssey before and after, and I can't tell much of a significant difference, so I end up using Audyssey Bypass.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I did and posted a three part write up.
Looks like Audyssey gave you worse FR's than Bypass.

It seems PENG and many others who have compared FR's of Audyssey concluded that Audyssey gave them more linear FR's than Bypass.

It seems to me that when my Denon AVP-A1HDCI did Audyssey, the Audyssey graphs also looked better than Bypass.

But anyway, I guess it doesn't matter that much to me because in the end, I went with what my ears told me - that even though Audyssey may have produced a more linear FR, I ultimately couldn't tell the difference.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
and here we go....the train is coming off the track Gents. All relevant good stuff regarding RC, from the experts, but the OP question is about YPAO:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
and here we go....the train is coming off the track Gents. All relevant good stuff regarding RC, from the experts, but the OP question is about YPAO:)
Well, he also asked about Audyssey XT32....

I've not used YPAO so can't comment with personal experience, altho I've seen comments from quite a few in various fora that they're pleased with results, more than comments where they were disappointed I think. I've had generally good results in using Audyssey as well as MCACC for that matter. Obviously it's not for everyone so YMMV.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok maybe I need to try changing YPAO results after calibration. But looks like I am not the only one who does not like what YPAO does by default.
I guess it depends on your hearing accuteness as we all hear things a little different from one another. I'm a little bass deaf. :) I've never encountered an issue with my speakers sounding to bright after having run YPAO. I like a little more bass than YPAO calibrates it for so what I do is set YPAO as it is, go in after and bump up the bass setting little in the AVR and then save that configuration to memory. That way I just do a memory recall and sets my AVR to how I left it. I have 4 different memory configurations for both my systems.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Well, he also asked about Audyssey XT32....

I've not used YPAO so can't comment with personal experience, altho I've seen comments from quite a few in various fora that they're pleased with results, more than comments where they were disappointed I think. I've had generally good results in using Audyssey as well as MCACC for that matter. Obviously it's not for everyone so YMMV.
True - I think all RC has it's limitations. I tried a denon reciever and the bass didn't sound any better in my room. Granted I only kept it for a few weeks.
I was just trying to think of things that might change the brightness in the OP system. There is a review by What hifi? on the Yamaha 1060 (I realize he has the 1070) but the review says the amp tended toward being a bit bright. Whether you put too much stock in those reviews or not is up for debate, but obviously Adrein is hearing it. So, what could tame the brightness? Manual Eq? Taking a look at the room? Hard surfaces perhaps? (Walls, floors) Maybe some stategically placed throw pillows? I don't know.

I know when I switch back and forth between Natural (YPAO) and Through (No YPAO) Natural sounds better to me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True - I think all RC has it's limitations. I tried a denon reciever and the bass didn't sound any better in my room. Granted I only kept it for a few weeks.
I was just trying to think of things that might change the brightness in the OP system. There is a review by What hifi? on the Yamaha 1060 (I realize he has the 1070) but the review says the amp tended toward being a bit bright. Whether you put too much stock in those reviews or not is up for debate, but obviously Adrein is hearing it. So, what could tame the brightness? Manual Eq? Taking a look at the room? Hard surfaces perhaps? (Walls, floors) Maybe some stategically placed throw pillows? I don't know.

I know when I switch back and forth between Natural (YPAO) and Through (No YPAO) Natural sounds better to me.
I personally disregard any review of electronics as having particular warmth/brightness type characteristics, who knows how they're based since it's a subjective thing for the reviewer in his room with his gear (and imagination), just useless information as far as I'm concerned (as goes for much of anything at whathifi). Andrein did have a bad experience with another Yamaha unit before the 1070 IIRC (860?), so maybe there's something with Yamaha that doesn't click for him.

I also wonder about his room as to how that may contribute or not to what he's hearing....pics might be useful.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis