Hammerin' Hank is gone............................

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Crap-

Got to see him play a few times while the Braves were still here, but I was very young. It was good to see him again as a Brewer.

RIP

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I remember as a kid being glued to the TV waiting for 715.What an exciting moment when he did it. RIP Hank.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Got to see him play a few times while the Braves were still here, but I was very young.

RIP
I also remember the early days in Milwaukee when he played alongside the great Eddie Mathews, 3rd best 3rd basemen I ever saw.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I also remember the early days in Milwaukee when he played alongside the great Eddie Mathews, 3rd best 3rd basemen I ever saw.
You have that right along with Warren Spahn, Dell Crandall, Joe Adcock, Lew Burdette, Johnny Logan, Frank Torre, Red Schoendienst.....to name a few. My father would have tickets on the 1st or 3rd base side behind the dugouts, 10 rows up, when we went. Pretty cool back in the day. I didn't know it until some years later, that a classmate of mine, was a former batboy. We had moved away to a different city near Milwaukee. His name was Billy Smith.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
You have that right along with Warren Spahn, Dell Crandall, Joe Adcock, Lew Burdette, Johnny Logan, Frank Torre, Red Schoendienst.....to name a few. My father would have tickets on the 1st or 3rd base side behind the dugouts, 10 rows up, when we went. Pretty cool back in the day. I didn't know it until some years later, that a classmate of mine, was a former batboy. We had moved away to a different city near Milwaukee. His name was Billy Smith.
Good story ! brings back my memories of my uncle recanting the old phrase .... 'Spahn, Sain and pray for rain'. The '48 Braves were impressive !

highfigh

highfigh

I used to go to one of his Arby's- they had bats, balls, hats and other memorabilia on the walls. I was driving to a body shop and as I passed a building, I saw Hank walking in and the door had 'Hank Aaron Enterprises' on it.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I remember as a kid being glued to the TV waiting for 715.What an exciting moment when he did it. RIP Hank.
I can't think of a kid, or an adult for that matter, who didn't watch the game that night, glued to the TV.

Even the nuns talked about it the next day in school. I'm getting goose-bumps thinking about it.

And without roids or whatever.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Truly one of the all time greatest. I grew up a Roberto Clemente fan in Pittsburgh but Hank was one of my favorites back then. RIP good sir.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I can't think of a kid, or an adult for that matter, who didn't watch the game that night, glued to the TV.

Even the nuns talked about it the next day in school. I'm getting goose-bumps thinking about it.

you bet, for me right up there with Roger's 61st and Michael Jack's 500th. Although the greatest home run of all time has to be Maz's in game 7 of the '60 WS

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I got goose bumps hearing Vin Scully call that home run.

Did anyone hear a cause of death? A few weeks ago Hank was on tv looking fit and healthy getting the Covid vaccine.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

Did anyone hear a cause of death? A few weeks ago Hank was on tv looking fit and healthy getting the Covid vaccine.
Its that right? I didn't know that. That's a really shame.
Hank was a great ball player but an even better man. I loved just listening to him speak. What ever he had to say was important. A true legend.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

And, for closing in on Babe Ruth's record, Hank received many death threats.

What a country.

highfigh

highfigh

USA Today has it that he was in poor health and had a massive stroke. It also mentioned that he had recently been vaccinated for Covid but since it didn't show the medical report, we can't assume anything.

A local radio station called him around the time Milwaukee Country Stadium was being demolished and the county was selling parts of it as suvenires- they asked if he was planning to buy a row of seats and he told them that he would have to ask his wife. They all had a good laugh.

Class act, all the way.

Last edited:
L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
you bet, for me right up there with Roger's 61st and Michael Jack's 500th. Although the greatest home run of all time has to be Maz's in game 7 of the '60 WS
715 .. Hands down bar none... The most significant achievement in baseball history...

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
715 .. Hands down bar none... The most significant achievement in baseball history...
Like most 'things' in sports there's always a different perspective and while I agree in the category of HR's it's the one. Now when one uses the word 'achievement', having watched this guy play A ball in Geneva , NY through his whole career perhaps nobody achieved more with less 'pure' talent .............

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Like most 'things' in sports there's always a different perspective and while I agree in the category of HR's it's the one. Now when one uses the word 'achievement', having watched this guy play A ball in Geneva , NY through his whole career perhaps nobody achieved more with less 'pure' talent .............

Pete Rose was a great player.. I bet he didn't get death threats as he approached ty cobbs record.. This one( 715) isnt even close to whatever you want to put second.. After that we can talk about how many of Aaron's records still stand , like extra base hits...Edit : did you know? Aaron never hit 50 hr in a year.. But he hit 40 so many times you could bank it as a given... I'll give Rose credit for longevity and consistency.. Some ball players that i talked to from that era thought he was kind of a hot dog ( talent aside, he certainly had talent, nobody hits that well without lots of it)

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I'm am in no way taking anything away from Hank, as I already stated he 'is' the HR king in my book and as you said his measure of consistency throughout his career is amazing !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis