Ha ha I got banned from AVS!

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Anyway, as Kew said there was no intent to offend anyone. I was just explaining how things work over there and why Audioholics is a much more pleasant place. I think Gene and crew do an exceptional job -- even BoredSysAdmin -- who doesn't seem to like me and thinks I'm a guy. LOL

mattlach

mattlach

Junior Audioholic
Sadly they are the largest and most widely used forum for audio gear, despite their horrific advertising system. Audioholics is so much better. Way easier to use and much cleaner interface. Also the users on average here are much better informed overall, so the discussion here tends to be more intelligent. I prefer it this way; AVS has quantity but Audioholics has quality.
I've never run afoul of their rules (actually, I got an infraction once when I dared suggest alternatives to how they moderate their technical threads, so I guess I did) but I find that their forums could be so much more useful if they only moderated them better.

What they usually do is over-moderate and combine all conversations regarding hardware into supper massive several hundred pages long threads specific to a particular model. The end result is that while their may be lots of good wisdom on their forums, it is damned near impossible to search and navigate through, resulting in the same 5 questions being asked over and over again (and being merged into the super thread for the specific piece or family of equipment they are being asked about.)

I went there a lot when I was starting to buy speakers and amps (I had previously been almost exclusively a headphone guy) but over time I found that I only got frustrated with the experience. My visits there have slowed significantly.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyway, as Kew said there was no intent to offend anyone. I was just explaining how things work over there and why Audioholics is a much more pleasant place. I think Gene and crew do an exceptional job -- even BoredSysAdmin -- who doesn't seem to like me and thinks I'm a guy. LOL
Well you better make him like you if you need help with anything you plug in. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
But I didn't mention a retailer. I didn't talk about a killer price or deal on any website. There is no justifying these A-Holes. I will not go back on that website again.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Man I totally feel ya the vibe I got over there is why I never joined. What really did it for me is they have an ID sub dealer that was on a site for members of another sub a thread started for that sub specifically and this dude was just bashing the product every chance he could get. Yet I've seen if anyone has anything to say about his products? God help you cuz your getting banned for life not just from AVS but from God the universe and all that is good in this world. But AVS gets paid to advertise his products? Coincidence? That kind off b.s. turned me off of that site forever I'm so glad I joined over here. Although it did make my day when some of the owners of that sub on the thread called him out on it and called him out HARD. Pretty funny to watch all the backpedaling he and his AVS fanboys did after that. And for the record I think what he did was way more out of line then you talking about buying something if it ever hits a certain price point. So screw them and they're hypocritical standards. I'm glad your over here they're loss and our gain

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
OMG I am so happy this thread exists here!

I am also a proud former member of AVS! Member since 2004, banned more times than I could count. They seriously ticked me off yesterday when I started calling out Seymour screens as a crappy company. In my quest for an AT screen I ordered sample materials from everybody and found them to be seriously over priced compared to the competition. I mentioned that in their thread. Didnt go over well. Then yesterday a guy comes in posting pics of his frame that had a nasty warped bow in it after hanging for one week. Seymour reps come in and follow that issue with a sales pitch telling everybody to come see em at Cedia. I kinda went off on him telling him that was some serious low class moves that hes making. He should be more worried about his quality control and his current customers instead of selling more faulty screens. He complains to AVS, my post is removed and Im banned from that thread for 14 days.

Then I'm in the Denon thread complaining about my new receiver issue (which is documented on this forum) and an AVS store employee tells me lets get back on track and talk about the other issues. I told him you know what, I'm done with this site. I should be allowed to post negative experiences just as much as the guy posting positive ones. Removing negative comments helps the manufacturers, but NOT the consumers which is what your site is suppose to be about. I ended it with something along the lines of "Since this post will earn me a 3 day ban anyways just delete my account, Im done with it. Sure enough, somebody over there had a nice little orgasm and deleted it extremely quickly.

AVS is too damn commercial friendly. Bunch of money grubbing-g rated-cake n ice cream-panzies who wouldnt know what a backbone was if it fell out of the sky, landed on their face, and started to wiggle! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I am also a proud former member of AVS! Member since 2004, banned more times than I could count. They seriously ticked me off yesterday when I started calling out Seymour screens as a crappy company. In my quest for an AT screen I ordered sample materials from everybody and found them to be seriously over priced compared to the competition. I mentioned that in their thread. Didnt go over well. Then yesterday a guy comes in posting pics of his frame that had a nasty warped bow in it after hanging for one week. Seymour reps come in and follow that issue with a sales pitch telling everybody to come see em at Cedia. I kinda went off on him telling him that was some serious low class moves that hes making. He should be more worried about his quality control and his current customers instead of selling more faulty screens. He complains to AVS, my post is removed and Im banned from that thread for 14 days.

Then I'm in the Denon thread complaining about my new receiver issue (which is documented on this forum) and an AVS store employee tells me lets get back on track and talk about the other issues. I told him you know what, I'm done with this site. I should be allowed to post negative experiences just as much as the guy posting positive ones. Removing negative comments helps the manufacturers, but NOT the consumers which is what your site is suppose to be about. I ended it with something along the lines of "Since this post will earn me a 3 day ban anyways just delete my account, Im done with it. Sure enough, somebody over there had a nice little orgasm and deleted it extremely quickly.

AVS is too damn commercial friendly. Bunch of money grubbing-g rated-cake n ice cream-panzies who wouldnt know what a backbone was if it fell out of the sky, landed on their face, and started to wiggle! :D
Kind off funny who gets to determine what is negative and what people can talk smack on isn't it? The last straw for me was when I checked out the Monoprice THX ultra sub thread before all the reviews came back golden and another sub ID owner was on that thread bashing the crap out of Monoprices subs until finally some monoprice owners called him out on it. I kept saying to myself how in the hell is this site letting him get away with that? Oh he pays for advertising his products there? Really? :rolleyes:. I'd been scoping out that forum to see if I wanted to join. After that I was like NO WAY. Been a member here ever since never regretted it. Glad to have you with us.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

That's the second time I've mentioned that incident but man it left a bad taste in my mouth but that wasn't the only thing I noticed over there Not by a long shot

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Who was the company?
Power Sound Audio. The Monoprice Thread was for owners and people that have tested it. As they were sharing input one of the owners just kept chiming in saying it's numbers etc aren't great compared to competitors etc etc blah blah blah. He never outright said his were better then Monoprices products but you could tell he had an agenda or a problem with them. I was considering them at one point and was looking 4ward to the owners inputs and I started to get irritated with all of his posts and negative feedback. But I thought maybe it was just me? Then blame one of the owners had enough and called him out. Saying why are you on this thread throwing shade on a competitors thread? Quit hating it is a huge turn off let your products do the talking or just shut up basically. A couple of other posters backed him up and the PSA guy got off the thread. But what irked me is a part of the thread where the ID owner from PSA stated other people had been banned from AVS from making dubious claims against his stuff and I kept thinking to myself how's that any different from what your doing now? It's sad really because I had been interested in his products they were one of my top picks but his tone and demeanor came off in a way that totally shut me down turned me off. So I started off with SVS PB 2000 dual and since its a huge room I'm upgrading to dual Rhythmik FV 18's. They arrive 1rst week of September I can't wait! Lol. Anyways I'm glad your over here I'm looking forward to your contributions and insights. I've learned a lot from everyone on this sight and I'm really glad I jumped on board.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I was afraid you might say PSA. I actually own 3 of their 210s. Your story does sound familiar tho, seems like I remember someone talking about that event, but I didnt witness it. Probably would have turned me off too. But I do love their speakers. When I purchased them I had specific height requirements because I was trying to fit them under my screen and they fit the bill. They sound amazing. But good choice with SVS. They might be the best company I've ever worked with in any market. I've had a PC13 Ultra for a few years and decided I wanted to duals. I found the last one in existence about a month or so ago on Ebay. It was an open box buy so I grabbed it. When I received it, it was obvious that someone had replaced the driver on it and didnt do a very good job. The bottom feet were all scraped off and the driver was really dusty. I emailed SVS about it because I was thinking of returning it, but they gave me a 3 year warranty on it so I kept it. Figure I cant go wrong with that. If I know the story correctly, Tom at PSA used to work for SVS before leaving to start PSA. So there are some ties there somewhere. I've never owned Rhythmik but hear good things. Good luck with the upgrade!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I was afraid you might say PSA. I actually own 3 of their 210s. Your story does sound familiar tho, seems like I remember someone talking about that event, but I didnt witness it. Probably would have turned me off too. But I do love their speakers. When I purchased them I had specific height requirements because I was trying to fit them under my screen and they fit the bill. They sound amazing. But good choice with SVS. They might be the best company I've ever worked with in any market. I've had a PC13 Ultra for a few years and decided I wanted to duals. I found the last one in existence about a month or so ago on Ebay. It was an open box buy so I grabbed it. When I received it, it was obvious that someone had replaced the driver on it and didnt do a very good job. The bottom feet were all scraped off and the driver was really dusty. I emailed SVS about it because I was thinking of returning it, but they gave me a 3 year warranty on it so I kept it. Figure I cant go wrong with that. If I know the story correctly, Tom at PSA used to work for SVS before leaving to start PSA. So there are some ties there somewhere. I've never owned Rhythmik but hear good things. Good luck with the upgrade!
Hey thanks man I can't wait till they come in. Yeah I'm not holding anything against the owner or his company tho. I mean we all have a bad day. It just was bad timing considering I was in the market to shop. And I made a good choice with SVS. Showed me what real bass sounds like. Man I bet those 2 PC13 ultra's sound awesome. Always wondered what they're cylinders were like

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
My wife lets me do whatever I want, I'm pretty lucky. But the subs are her favorite part of the the theater. I told her I wanted a 2nd one so the front stage would look symmetrical lol. She was on board instantly. At one point I thought about putting them behind the AT screen and she said no, I want to see them they are so cool looking. Yay for me! I have no idea if its a better design then a box, but they do look neat. And 2 of them are workin out pretty awesome in the base category.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My wife lets me do whatever I want, I'm pretty lucky. But the subs are her favorite part of the the theater. I told her I wanted a 2nd one so the front stage would look symmetrical lol. She was on board instantly. At one point I thought about putting them behind the AT screen and she said no, I want to see them they are so cool looking. Yay for me! I have no idea if its a better design then a box, but they do look neat. And 2 of them are workin out pretty awesome in the base category.
Man you lucked out that's a candidate for wife of the year award! Lol. I'm single so I'm lucky in that way too. I don't have too get the approval soooooo that allows the FV18's! :D Although they are gonna look really boss where I'm going to have them set up on my front stage!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Who was th
Man you lucked out that's a candidate for wife of the year award! Lol. I'm single so I'm lucky in that way too. I don't have too get the approval soooooo that allows the FV18's! :D Although they are gonna look really boss where I'm going to have them set up on my front stage!
Dedicated HT room is the way to go if the significant other wants to control the rest of the house. If they come around and want a system in other rooms, great. If not no big deal either. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dedicated HT room is the way to go if the significant other wants to control the rest of the house. If they come around and want a system in other rooms, great. If not no big deal either. :)
I think I'll just stay single forever easier solution. Lol

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis