Ha ha I got banned from AVS!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
AVS gets a large portion of its income from advertisers. One important advertiser is Cleveland Plasma another is the previous owner of AVS -- now known as AVS Sales. These are the only people allowed to talk about discounted pricing. If AVS allowed folks to talk about discounted pricing, the advertisers would lose tons of revenue. It's their club and they can admit or throw out whomever they like. If you want to hang out there you have to abide by the rules and also realize that the AVS moderators can and will read your private messages, which aren't really private.

If this policy annoys you, then take your business elsewhere - like Audioholics.
Get this through your thick skull. I did not talk about sales at a retailer. All I asked was if Vizio did big Black Friday sales. That's it. I didn't say so and so had a said or Amazon. I will be taking my business elsewhere. I'm deleting my profile.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Its impossible to use AVS on a mobile device, incredibly slow. Way to many insanely long threads that should be separated by year at least. I stopped viewing in all but necessary research.

Matt34

Matt34

Its impossible to use AVS on a mobile device, incredibly slow. Way to many insanely long threads that should be separated by year at least. I stopped viewing in all but necessary research.
Yeah, the mobile site could use some serious optimization, it's a mess.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Ever since they "lost" my account I've had there since 2003 when they did their big server update, I haven't visited much.
They must have "lost" my account too. I haven't been able to log in for a couple of years now. Don't they know who I am?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Get this through your thick skull. I did not talk about sales at a retailer. All I asked was if Vizio did big Black Friday sales. That's it. I didn't say so and so had a said or Amazon. I will be taking my business elsewhere. I'm deleting my profile.

No need to get defensive, I'm not biggest fan of DigitalDawn, but he has a point, ANY discussion of discounted prices even without mentioning these two VERY obscure (to me) vendors MAY affect them. Is it "Fair" ? Probably not, but then again - it's not a public space. It's private club which specifically requires a registration to partake.
They could set any rules they like as long as not violating state/federal laws.
I personally avoid AVS like a plague for many of the reasons similar to listed in posts above me.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I got banned again! This time till 6/19 because I asked if Vizio has a black Friday sales. Can you F-ING imagine that? I did not discuss prices or a retailer sale or anything. Well that is it. When I get back in I'm deleting my profile. I can't take those assholes anymore.

It would be great to just flood their site with all sorts of pricing posts and get hundreds of accounts banned. Just make it a full time job to police that forum.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It would be great to just flood their site with all sorts of pricing posts and get hundreds of accounts banned. Just make it a full time job to police that forum.
I would be in favor of that for sure.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Exactly what I argued. I said I didn't mention a killer deal, or a retailer. All I said was when OLED 65 inch drops in a black Friday or end of model year sale. That's it and they gave me an infraction and then I complained and then I was banned.

I started out using both forums, and eventually found AH to be a better resource for me so I interact here more so. I get the whole pricing issue to a degree, but the way your situation went down does seem overly sensitive.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
No need to get defensive, I'm not biggest fan of DigitalDawn, but he has a point, ANY discussion of discounted prices even without mentioning these two VERY obscure (to me) vendors MAY affect them. Is it "Fair" ? Probably not, but then again - it's not a public space. It's private club which specifically requires a registration to partake.
They could set any rules they like as long as not violating state/federal laws.
I personally avoid AVS like a plague for many of the reasons similar to listed in posts above me.
Wow, you really don't get it. Awesome!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I started out using both forums, and eventually found AH to be a better resource for me so I interact here more so. I get the whole pricing issue to a degree, but the way your situation went down does seem overly sensitive.
A mod definitely had it out for me and checked everything I did. I'm convinced of that. The first time I got banned was when I said when a 65 inch OLED gets down to around 1500 bucks I'm in. How is that discussing pricing? It's saying right now a technology is too expensive for me, when it gets here in the future I'm in. That is insanity I got banned for that, insanity.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I don't think DigitalDawn intended to offend you!
I think she simply presented some neutral factual information on how they operate (which I found informative - a confirmation of the suspicions we probably all have).
In the general sense, I read it as explaining just how much the AVS forum was controlled by their advertisers, and also pointing out that things are better here!:)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A mod definitely had it out for me and checked everything I did. I'm convinced of that. The first time I got banned was when I said when a 65 inch OLED gets down to around 1500 bucks I'm in. How is that discussing pricing? It's saying right now a technology is too expensive for me, when it gets here in the future I'm in. That is insanity I got banned for that, insanity.

Yes, but when you say a technology is too expensive (for you),that is a reality check on others who might be about to pull out their wallets, they are liable to reflect and think "he has a point"!
You, sir, are a terrorist against capitalism and need to be controlled!:eek:

I am being facetious, but I think BSA's post was really pointing out "they are as$holes and what they are doing is not fair, but it is legal!"
The internet is a wonderful venue for sharing ideas and we get used to it being a very open place; however, the reality is any forum that is privately owned can be as big of as$holes as they like...they really have the right to control everything that happens on the board. Sadly, AVS is exerting this control to a level most people would resent (if they were aware of the extent of it).

That said, I'm sure you are right, one (or more) of the moderators probably had it in for you and was watching every move you made looking for half an excuse.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, but when you say a technology is too expensive (for you),that is a reality check on others who might be about to pull out their wallets, they are liable to reflect and think "he has a point"!
You, sir, are a terrorist against capitalism and need to be controlled!:eek:

I am being facetious, but I think BSA's post was really pointing out "they are as$holes and what they are doing is not fair, but it is legal!"
The internet is a wonderful venue for sharing ideas and we get used to it being a very open place; however, the reality is any forum that is privately owned can be as big of as$holes as they like...they really have the right to control everything that happens on the board. Sadly, AVS is exerting this control to a level most people would resent (if they were aware of the extent of it).

That said, I'm sure you are right, one (or more) of the moderators probably had it in for you and was watching every move you made looking for half an excuse.
I'm not saying that they are as$holes, I'm saying they are proper cunts.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Well, I'm not defending them, but you were specifically discussing discounted TV pricing. Again, I'm not defending this practice, but if you are failing to see how you were directly violating it, then all I can say is "Wow, you really don't get it. Awesome! "

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

I think it's a bit sensitive, but essentially you have established a "go" pricepoint for yourself. I don't see a real problem with it, but the mod probably looked at that as having some influence on a potential buyer that may have been considering the set at say $1899 or whatever the advertised price is for a 65" OLED set.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
Looks like somebody had the same idea for this forum. Some spammer is doing a number posting new threads every couple of minutes. That's gotta be fun to clean up.
I terminated both of them...
with extweeeeme prewudice...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis