L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Thing is, it's all departmental. Some are good, some are bad.

After Floyd was killed you saw a LOT of different reactions by police departments. A lot of them marched WITH people because they don't tolerate "bad apples" in their department. A lot did the opposite and pepper sprayed and gassed anyone that got near them.

Where I've lived I've noticed some very specific behaviors when it comes to law enforcement. When I was in highschool, cops were jerks to teenagers. Every time I interacted with one, they were jerks. Got a gun pulled on me because I got pulled over and my window didn't roll down so I opened my door. That was not a fun experience.

Same with College and after. All different towns, but cops were all typically jerks or just pissed they had to be wherever they were.

Sheriff deputies on the other hand have generally always been nice. Same with state troopers here in TX. My father in law is a deputy and was a trooper. He's always been a good dude that get's pissed at a$$hole cops just as much as anyone. He agrees that it's the department. He's seen it himself. They're actively taught to be scared of everyone, or think they're going to get shot by everyone. He's never been taught any of that.

All this is department based. The department chooses to let the "bad apples" run the place and it shows where that's happening. If the department doesn't let those types run the place, people have a vastly different experience. Departments that aren't held accountable by the city won't change either.

The issue is much bigger than individual cops.
Would we agree that it happens frequently enough to be classified as systemic on a national level??

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Would we agree that it happens frequently enough to be classified as systemic on a national level??
Of course. It's all down to the city the department is in. If that city isn't friendly to people of color, then you can't really expect the department to be either.

I'd be shocked if a city that was friendly to people of color had an issue with their police departments. By city I'm speaking of every aspect of that city.

An example:

I lived in a city in TX that while I was in college (or around that time, been a few decades) had a law on the books that black folks couldn't live past a certain street. Racist law in a racist city. Places like that aren't exactly going to be friendly to people of color.

Now this issue isn't just for non-white folks. Plenty of departments are just as awful to everyone equally. The city I spoke of above had the worst city cops I've ever dealt with. They were rude, ignorant, and just plain angry. On the flip side, the sheriff department had the nicest people. Same city, totally different mentality. It was actually pretty strange how different they were.

I think it's just like anything else. If a company has an excellent management staff, they usually do well. If they don't, then their regular staff typically isn't all that stellar either. Or, they hire "like minded people" which can get you a bunch of douchebags in a large group. In a company that might just put them out of business when they piss off enough customers. In a police department, it breeds decades of resentment and anger on both sides of the badge. Eventually, it explodes.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Of course. It's all down to the city the department is in. If that city isn't friendly to people of color, then you can't really expect the department to be either.

I'd be shocked if a city that was friendly to people of color had an issue with their police departments. By city I'm speaking of every aspect of that city.

An example:

I lived in a city in TX that while I was in college (or around that time, been a few decades) had a law on the books that black folks couldn't live past a certain street. Racist law in a racist city. Places like that aren't exactly going to be friendly to people of color.

Now this issue isn't just for non-white folks. Plenty of departments are just as awful to everyone equally. The city I spoke of above had the worst city cops I've ever dealt with. They were rude, ignorant, and just plain angry. On the flip side, the sheriff department had the nicest people. Same city, totally different mentality. It was actually pretty strange how different they were.

I think it's just like anything else. If a company has an excellent management staff, they usually do well. If they don't, then their regular staff typically isn't all that stellar either. Or, they hire "like minded people" which can get you a bunch of douchebags in a large group. In a company that might just put them out of business when they piss off enough customers. In a police department, it breeds decades of resentment and anger on both sides of the badge. Eventually, it explodes.
yep ,leadership is the key imo..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There was no certainty- I don't know how anyone could think certainty existed but someone could have been a bit more assertive. After the "why would anyone do something that could result in the police shooting them?" comments, the one thing that rings in my mind is "George Floyd fought and he wasn't shot". The guns were holstered. Chauvin's hands were in his pockets, FFS!
So everyone should have whipped out their own guns and settled this like muricans and shot the offending officers dead as civic righteousness? Seems to fit in with the everyone should carry concept.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So everyone should have whipped out their own guns and settled this like muricans and shot the offending officers dead as civic righteousness? Seems to fit in with the everyone should carry concept.
I never said guns; they were outside of a store- you can beat the crap out of someone with a can of soup.

highfigh

highfigh

How about we start with his 3 co workers and call it a day rather than this new variant of blame the victims...???
Yeah, those idiots really helped to 'Protect And Serve'.

highfigh

highfigh

There's no way Chauvin would have been convicted without that video.
Maybe- they had video from other cameras, but who knows if that evidence would have been destroyed, or not. Pretty sure the officers would have been in big trouble if their vest cams had been disabled.

highfigh

highfigh

A couple of interesting articles from The Atlantic.

One thing that strikes me as ridiculous- officers receive training before and after being christened at the academies, but they aren't tested for psychological damage after being on the force and in numerous stressful situations. That needed to change, 50+ years ago.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan

Everybody is now a Monday morning quarterback. I know plenty of LEO's and whenever our coffee clutch see's them in the local diner in the morning the first thing we do is remind them to be safe out there. I cringe every time I see some two bit loser in a demonstration carrying a sign, 'Abolish the Police' .......

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Everybody is now a Monday morning quarterback. I know plenty of LEO's and whenever our coffee clutch see's them in the local diner in the morning the first thing we do is remind them to be safe out there. I cringe every time I see some two bit loser in a demonstration carrying a sign, 'Abolish the Police' .......
I don't think this is Monday morning quarterbacking as the issues and the resulting critiques have been ongoing for a long time. I have sympathy for the many cops who are placed in difficult/impossible situations, where anything they do or don't do results in them being pilloried. But, it's pretty clear that police tend to be badly trained in the US. It could be better in Canada, as well.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
But, it's pretty clear that police tend to be badly trained in the US. It could be better in Canada, as well.
perhaps, but it's also quite clear that when you resist arrest and or the simple commands of the man with a 'badge and a gun' bad things usually happen !

Hopefully logical and sensible reform will come from this !

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief

Compliance , as the articles elude to isn't the issue..( proper) Police training fixes about 90% of the problem..the current police training is militaristic in nature.. I have newsfor the idiots running the funding ( politicians).. the " enemy" is also the people who pay for the funding and who are supposed to be the people they protect..

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I find this repeat blaming the black unarmed on-lookers that pleaded with the white armed LEOs to not kill the black man on the ground for not physically intervene, risking their own lives, offensive. Where it not for a 17 year old black girl filming this incident the police version "nothing untoward happened, move on" would have prevailed.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So the defense called for a mistrial, which was denied, but the judge said they may have grounds for an appeal to overturn the decision?? Maxine Waters encouraging protestors to be "more confrontational"? I get where she was coming from, but that was pretty stupid. Almost Trump stupid, imo...

I saw another story and now we have Ted Cruz, king dipshit himself, criticizing Biden for petty much the same thing. So now there's a door open for an appeal because some politicians can't keep their mouths shut until after the trial...

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
So the defense called for a mistrial, which was denied, but the judge said they may have grounds for an appeal to overturn the decision?? Maxine Waters encouraging protestors to be "more confrontational"? I get where she was coming from, but that was pretty stupid. Almost Trump stupid, imo...
Yup, just what I eluded to the other day ......

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis