great place to find dvda audio discs

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
As far as dvd-a I recently got Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots 5.1....

For multich generally recently got The Doors bluray for the Singles set, like that a lot. The 50th Anniversary bluray 5.1 mix of Jimi Hendrix' Electric Ladyland is excellent....
Cool! I ordered a copy of Flaming Lips. I’ll keep an eye out for Jimi for a used copy. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I haven’t received Flaming Lips yet DVD-A, but I received the Steve Miller in DTS 44.1kHz/16bit in 5.1. The Sony x800m2 shows it at 1.4Mbps. This one is a good album for surround. :)

C

carlbarry

Audiophyte
I forgot about my Beatles “Love” DVD Audio disc. That’s a great one for 5.1

Anyone have any other favorites?
I just put in my disc, and neither of my Blu ray players now recognize it! I think the disc has failed.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've never even heard of a DVD-A player... I mean I owned a DVD player without the "A". Was there a difference? I see they both played video too. What was the difference?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Always played them previously with no problem.
Weird, but just checking....does the manual specifically include the format? Does the disc itself show any sign of failure? I've yet to have an optical disc fail myself....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I've never even heard of a DVD-A player... I mean I owned a DVD player without the "A". Was there a difference? I see they both played video too. What was the difference?
:oops:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
DVD-AUDIO discs contained a lossy dolby digital track that could be played in a DVD-VIDEO player. A DVD-AUDIO player is necessary for the MLP(Meridian Lossless Packing) multichannel track. It was the early version of Dolby TrueHD. Some of the discs also contained a DTS 24/96 track.

C

carlbarry

Audiophyte
Weird, but just checking....does the manual specifically include the format? Does the disc itself show any sign of failure? I've yet to have an optical disc fail myself....
I finally got the brilliant idea of . . . trying another DVD Audio disc! I put in The Moody Blues Days In Search of the Lost Chord (not the SACD, which I also have, but the DVD, which does not specifically say DVD Audio) and Ringo 5.1, which says DVD Audio. Both worked. So I'm pretty sure it's the Beatles Love disc that has failed. I see nothing odd about the reflective surface.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I finally got the brilliant idea of . . . trying another DVD Audio disc! I put in The Moody Blues Days In Search of the Lost Chord (not the SACD, which I also have, but the DVD, which does not specifically say DVD Audio) and Ringo 5.1, which says DVD Audio. Both worked. So I'm pretty sure it's the Beatles Love disc that has failed. I see nothing odd about the reflective surface.
Interesting, seem to remember much of the reputation of failed discs were one particular label's cd issues quite a long time ago....can't say I've heard the issue with any of the other varieties at all. You could send it to me for testing :) (seriously, if you want....)

C

carlbarry

Audiophyte
Interesting, seem to remember much of the reputation of failed discs were one particular label's cd issues quite a long time ago....can't say I've heard the issue with any of the other varieties at all. You could send it to me for testing :) (seriously, if you want....)
I would do that. Let me know how. I'm very curious. I remember Laser Discs getting "laser rot," but never DVDs.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I just put in my disc, and neither of my Blu ray players now recognize it! I think the disc has failed.
To my knowledge, only Sony and OPPO Blu-ray players will read DVD-A discs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To my knowledge, only Sony and OPPO Blu-ray players will read DVD-A discs.
FWIW both my Sony S5100 and S6700 say in the manual they do not do DVD-Audio (but will play the lossy layer). My Oppo plays the higher resolution, tho.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Sony X800 and X800m2 models will play DVD-Audio format.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Sony X800 and X800m2 models will play DVD-Audio format.
Both of their manuals indicate they can play DVD-A but have a note about some discs have a "hidden group" and may need a special password for access ?!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Both of their manuals indicate they can play DVD-A but have a note about some discs have a "hidden group" and may need a special password for access ?!
I’ve never encountered that before.

They all work for me, so far at least. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis