Good older prepro with excellent/good DAC for theater

C

Curt248

Enthusiast
Soo....
Buy a lowish end modern receiver with hdcp 2.2 and connections to allow using my separate amps?

The modern dac should sound good Or indistinguishable from a 3k Pre-pro.

BTW I can only tell the difference in sound quality by how engaged it makes me. For instance, a steaming Netflix movie doesn't hold my attention like the same movie on Blu-ray. Of course one has a 4-5 bitrate and the other 30 bitrate so that should make a difference. The same for mp3 vs CD. Maybe an a/b comparison of Blu-ray would yield no difference at all using the same amps and same room?

If that is likely true, then I should just buy the lowest price receiver with the connections I need (Xlr for sub) and pre-amp output connections and 5.2.2 with hdcp 2.2 for 4k.

Yes?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The lowish end avrs tend not to come with pre-outs. I wouldn't worry so much about the dac either. I'd figure out the dropouts cause before shopping, too. Streaming just isn't as good as having the disc. What sub amp? You sure it can't use an rca to xlr adapter?

C

Curt248

Enthusiast
The lowish end avrs tend not to come with pre-outs. I wouldn't worry so much about the dac either. I'd figure out the dropouts cause before shopping, too. Streaming just isn't as good as having the disc. What sub amp? You sure it can't use an rca to xlr adapter?
I think I could use an adapter and be fine. The run is probably 20 feet.
It's a bit like a CD skipping. It happens at the same spot of the same movies. This disks look perfect with no scratches. Maybe I'll try them at my friends place. It could bed the discs. It happens at times when I would imagine the atmos ceiling speakers would be active. One is John wick when he is driving his car in the dock area in the beginning. The movie only has English atmos as an option for sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think I could use an adapter and be fine. The run is probably 20 feet.
It's a bit like a CD skipping. It happens at the same spot of the same movies. This disks look perfect with no scratches. Maybe I'll try them at my friends place. It could bed the discs. It happens at times when I would imagine the atmos ceiling speakers would be active. One is John wick when he is driving his car in the dock area in the beginning. The movie only has English atmos as an option for sound.
When I had an issue like that with a Samsung bluray player it eventually got worse and to the point of making most discs an unpleasant experience....but getting the same thing with two players and the same discs seems to point at the discs so testing elsewhere seems like a good idea....

What amp is it, tho?

C

Curt248

Enthusiast
When I had an issue like that with a Samsung bluray player it eventually got worse and to the point of making most discs an unpleasant experience....but getting the same thing with two players and the same discs seems to point at the discs so testing elsewhere seems like a good idea....

What amp is it, tho?
Emotiva 125watt x 7

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Epik Empire with a 3000watt bridged class d amp
I'm still running my Empire off it's replacement plate amp from when Chad was still able to :) I was more curious what specific amp, especially with that kinda power....

C

Curt248

Enthusiast
I'm still running my Empire off it's replacement plate amp from when Chad was still able to :) I was more curious what specific amp, especially with that kinda power....
Haha. Yeah I bought one of the first few from him. I drove to get it.

It's a behringer inuke nu3000. The sub sounds even better with it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haha. Yeah I bought one of the first few from him. I drove to get it.

It's a behringer inuke nu3000. The sub sounds even better with it.
You using the dsp model? Or use your own? I use Crown XLS1500s for my diy subs (and expected to be using one of them on the Empire by now).

C

Curt248

Enthusiast
Without the dsp. I don't remember how I set it up. I'm assuming I just set the crossover point on the amp and also use the emotiva umc-1 for control.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Without the dsp. I don't remember how I set it up. I'm assuming I just set the crossover point on the amp and also use the emotiva umc-1 for control.
Since the stock amps Epik used had a bit of eq/bass boost down low I was wondering what you did for some eq to approach the original, don't know if your Emotiva gear has any capability aside from xover, too.

C

Curt248

Enthusiast
Since the stock amps Epik used had a bit of eq/bass boost down low I was wondering what you did for some eq to approach the original, don't know if your Emotiva gear has any capability aside from xover, too.
I didn't know about the boost down low. Do you know what it was at all?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't know about the boost down low. Do you know what it was at all?
Just going with Josh's instinct from his review on data-bass.com and the measurements he made. Doesn't mean you need to do it that way if you think you're getting better results. I have minidsps to help out if that happens....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis