Goldenear Triton 7 or SVS Prime Towers?

T

Thurman Clark

Audiophyte
Looking for new speakers, but with a limited budget. Will be used for music and eventually home theater. Considering SVS Prime Towers and the Goldenear Triton 7. Issue is that can purchase the prime towers and Center channel for the same price that it would cost for just the Triton 7 speakers. In addition if I choose to add the center channel speaker later the Goldenear small Center channel is $600 compared to the SVS Prime Center Channel which is only $349.
Also I wonder if the SVS Prime speakers are more durable and possibly longer-lasting than the golden ear Triton 7. SVS rear speakers are more reasonably priced as well.

Is the Triton 7 worth the extra price?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Looking for new speakers, but with a limited budget. Will be used for music and eventually home theater. Considering SVS Prime Towers and the Goldenear Triton 7. Issue is that can purchase the prime towers and Center channel for the same price that it would cost for just the Triton 7 speakers. In addition if I choose to add the center channel speaker later the Goldenear small Center channel is $600 compared to the SVS Prime Center Channel which is only $349.
Also I wonder if the SVS Prime speakers are more durable and possibly longer-lasting than the golden ear Triton 7. SVS rear speakers are more reasonably priced as well.

I would recommend the SVS Ultras over the Primes. Having said that, I know you're on a budget so I would pick the Primes over the Goldenears. I say that, because you have up to a year to upgrade the Primes to the Ultras.

I demoed some Triton 7's and did not like them, I thought they sounded a little harsh to me.

T

Thurman Clark

Audiophyte
I would recommend the SVS Ultras over the Primes. Having said that, I know you're on a budget so I would pick the Primes over the Goldenears. I say that, because you have up to a year to upgrade the Primes to the Ultras.

I demoed some Triton 7's and did not like them, I thought they sounded a little harsh to me.
Thanks. I liked the Ultra Towers, but trying to stay below $2k, and it's going to be in a family room. That tower is large! The SVS upgrade option is nice. I've read good things about their customer service.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

First time I've heard anyone describe the GEs as harsh.

Silky-smooth in my room (T2)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Yeah, those Super Sat series of center channels are the weak point in the GE lineup. I have the 50C with my T2s. Mostly, I needed the small form factor, but it really doesn't keep up with the T2.

Last edited:
T

Thurman Clark

Audiophyte
Yeah, those Super Sat series of center channels are the weak point in the GE lineup. I have the 50C with my T2s. Mostl, I needed the small form factor, but it really doesn't keep up with the T2.
Thanks

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks. I liked the Ultra Towers, but trying to stay below $2k, and it's going to be in a family room. That tower is large! The SVS upgrade option is nice. I've read good things about their customer service.
If I was to spend 2k on a pair of speakers I'd buy the Salk Songtowers myself. I don't use center speakers either. I simply hang my screen above a normal left right speaker for the center.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I seriously would look at the Triton 5's over the Triton 7s. My dealer, who I have been buying from for the past 15 years, has given a good deal to people I have referred to him on this site.

Why I like the T5s is that they use updated driver set, closer to the T1. It has lower bass extension and I have talked to a few people who have gone with this setup, added a sub or two and prefer it to even the T1s

Obviously I like GE as you can read my signature below. One of the primary reasons is that I really like their MVFR Tweeter vs the domes of comparable price speakers. This is completely personal preference.

If you get about 20% off list, you should save 400 dollars. I still would get at least the SuperCenter X or XL over the Superstat 50C.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
If HT is very important to you, a good timbre matched CC is better than running phantom, but if you can hold off on the CC...spend as much as you can on the mains, and circle back to the CC when funds allow.

On your choices...GE, the Triton line I heard the 1, 2 and 3...I can vouch for all 3 as good sounding speakers so I can't imagine the 7 sounding much different...$1400 for the pair for the 7s vs $1k for the Prime Towers

I would go with Philharmonics BMR speaker over either, but of these two...I think I would go for the SVS Prime Towers.

Another speaker to consider on a budget...RBH...R55Ti...they might be closing this one out I think so the pricing is pretty good if you can find them.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I would look at the KEF Q700 or Q900 before RBH R55Ti. Also on a clearance sale due to the new Q750 and Q950 being out, they're quite a bargain for a really good speaker for HT.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would look at the KEF Q700 or Q900 before RBH R55Ti. Also on a clearance sale due to the new Q750 and Q950 being out, they're quite a bargain for a really good speaker for HT.
Haven't heard any KEFs in a good while, but they were always solid.

I like the MA...Silver line too also especially if he's going to run subs, but the BMR would be my #1 choice.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The KEF Q700 or Q900 would have less high frequency extension than the equivalent Monitor Audio Silver, but a bit of mid-bass bump that the MA Silver doesn't have.

The KEF Q series floor standing speakers (new and older generation) are not front or rear ported, they instead use passive radiators (Acoustic Bass Resonators, as KEF calls them) which look just like the woofer. This affords more flexibility in placement close to the rear boundary when needed.

T

Thurman Clark

Audiophyte
Well, it looks like I need to bring my $$ amount downward a bit. Polk s60 towers are selling for $329 to $349 each. Think I may give them a try. At that price I might even be able to afford the S35 Center Channel. I'll save the more expensive speakers for a later time. Anybody have any experience with these speakers?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
At these budget, I'd recommend to steer you away from Polk, and towards Elac debut 2.0 speakers. F5.2 MSRP is 299 ea.
In my humble experience, the only speakers from Polk worth owning are top-end LSiM series.
The problem is their direct competition is sold at about 1/2 the price.

Last edited:
F

felipe

Audioholic
Well, it looks like I need to bring my $$ amount downward a bit. Polk s60 towers are selling for $329 to $349 each. Think I may give them a try. At that price I might even be able to afford the S35 Center Channel. I'll save the more expensive speakers for a later time. Anybody have any experience with these speakers?
Hi Thurman Clark welcome to the forum. If you haven’t gotten any speakers yet, I can vouch for the Polk S60s. I know Polk isn’t well regarded here, but if your on a budget these should be on your list. They have a balanced, natural sound to them with plenty of detail and air to them. Low end is plentiful yet tight and articulate...just my two cents and brief hands-on thoughts on them ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Thurman Clark welcome to the forum. If you haven’t gotten any speakers yet, I can vouch for the Polk S60s. I know Polk isn’t well regarded here, but if your on a budget these should be on your list. They have a balanced, natural sound to them with plenty of detail and air to them. Low end is plentiful yet tight and articulate...just my two cents and brief hands-on thoughts on them ;)
This is their measurements,(purple for S60) bright on top end and massive 3db dip in mid-range around 1khz, plus smaller, but more significant dip at 3-4khz.
shortly: It's mess. Calling them balanced and neutral is blatant misinformation. You may like their sound signature, but it doesn't make them accurate speakers.

"The S60’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +3.16/–1.97 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. "

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/polk-signature-s60-speaker-system-review-test-bench

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey man I wish you luck on finding the best pick to start off with on your system. I've been in your boat. And I have experience with some of your picks you brought up. So I'm not here to argue suggestions or provide perfect measurements there are more knowledgeable people I respect on this site that can do that. I'm just gonna give you my experiences with the picks you mentioned.
Just like you I started off wanting to build up and I started with the S 60's so I'll start from there.
S 60's pros: overall not a bad sound for a budget especially at the price you mentioned. Good bass decent highs way better then they're older budget models. BUT I couldnt stay with them and here's why.
S 60's cons: The measurement issues mentioned above do cause problems in the sound the sound is not bad but you'll be able to notice it. It's 2.5 crossover design compounds the problem I believe and the rich mids were lacking some and this also caused issues with the highs being a bit too high and forward. Voices are affected as well as some instruments and details. In both music and movies. I used three S60s as L C R and just had a tough time dialing in the sound too counteract this. I abhore center channels by the way rather use a third tower or bookshelf but that's just me. The center channel the S35 and the other one they SUCK. No getting around it they just can't handle ceartin ranges male voices etc sibilance an crafting syllables you name it once you push your system they just get in the way. Nothing I could do could correct it it's partly what inspired me to go with the towers. They're size if your concerned about the Ultras size well welcome to the S60 cus they're are a big big speaker as well and will stand out any where you put them. And finally they're resale they're impossible to flip well if you want to recoup some costs to upgrade they just sale too cheap as is. Not a bad starter speaker but it sounds like you want to start a little higher.
I auditioned the Primes and golden ear 5 and 7's in my home and the Primes for me won out. As people stated the golden ears treble and smoothness midrange detail and soundstage just are second to none PERIOD. That tweeter wow! So why did the Primes win out? Because although they can't match the highs and midrange they come close. And because basically the 5 and 7's really don't have true bass extension I'm sorry but passive radiators etc just don't cut it for me this is where the Primes pulled ahead. Dynamics extension liveliness with just enough closeness to the Golden Ears highs soundstage and midrange that overall they just FOR ME won out on the total package of what I want from a speaker. For less cost with 3 towers then either golden ear 5 or 7 with a center channel package could compare so a very similar performance and enjoyment with Golden Ear pulling slightly ahead in the midrange and highs but not enough to justify they're cost over the Primes. Especially when everything else was a little more for the Primes.
So I went with the Primes. And am happy and have enjoyed my choice the more I have them. Although the S 60s were not a bad choice both the Primes and Golden Ears just ran all over them they weren't a bad starter but they couldn't even come close For really not even too much more. They just as mentioned have some flaws that eventually start to wear on the listener.
That's my experience and I hope it helps you in your decision. As others have said there's also a lottof other great options out they're for around that range. Chat with us take your time and listen and research and I hope you find what your wanting and I hope to hear about your experiences and your input on this site. Best of luck on your choices!

F

felipe

Audioholic
This is their measurements,(purple for S60) bright on top end and massive 3db dip in mid-range around 1khz, plus smaller, but more significant dip at 3-4khz.
shortly: It's mess. Calling them balanced and neutral is blatant misinformation. You may like their sound signature, but it doesn't make them accurate speakers.

"The S60’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +3.16/–1.97 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. "

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/polk-signature-s60-speaker-system-review-test-bench
My apologies for my “misinformation”. When I stated “balanced” and “neutral” it was from a “by ear” perspective rather then a measurement perspective...but thanks for posting the measurements.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
My apologies for my “misinformation”. When I stated “balanced” and “neutral” it was from a “by ear” perspective rather then a measurement perspective...but thanks for posting the measurements.
Its possible if you used room correction in an avr it EQd it out or tamed it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis