Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How could anyone mess up on bass with a movie like this? The theme screams "Im gonna loosen your bowels with bass" . Hopefully when it comes to disc, they will have rectified this.
Wait, are you saying you don't think there's enough bass?? Dude, it's a rumble fest and loaded with lots of deep bass. It's the main reason I keep rewatching some of the scenes.

I will say I had to turn the volume up about 10 dB more than usual, which @Trebdp83 does allude to in the first post. Most Blu rays -15 is plenty on my dial, but I had to turn it up to -5 for this movie.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wait, are you saying you don't think there's enough bass?? Dude, it's a rumble fest and loaded with lots of deep bass. It's the main reason I keep rewatching some of the scenes.

I will say I had to turn the volume up about 10 dB more than usual, which @Trebdp83 does allude to in the first post. Most Blu rays -15 is plenty on my dial, but I had to turn it up to -5 for this movie.
Yes, at normal listening levels found the soundtrack a bit anemic, I did rewatch some of the end with a much higher volume level which helped but still didn't feel particularly deep, wonder if someone's done an analysis of content yet? Hopefully the disc is better....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, at normal listening levels found the soundtrack a bit anemic, I did rewatch some of the end with a much higher volume level which helped but still didn't feel particularly deep, wonder if someone's done an analysis of content yet? Hopefully the disc is better....
It could be too, that I'm still getting used to the nearfield experience. It is definitely more intense with a sub firing right at the back of my chair.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It could be too, that I'm still getting used to the nearfield experience. It is definitely more intense with a sub firing right at the back of my chair.
Well already have that and a transducer under the seat going, too.....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

The OP left me the impression that the bass was lacking. Are you saying that the bass is good? If so... all can I do then is give it 2 thumbs up!! :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The OP left me the impression that the bass was lacking. Are you saying that the bass is good? If so... all can I do then is give it 2 thumbs up!! :p
I think it is, HD doesn't quite seem on board with that statement tho, lol. Might be me miscommunicating. It's not necessarily a ton super deep sub 20 hz bass, but there's plenty in the audible range and hits hard. I get a pretty good massage out of a few scenes. When they have Kong on the boat there are a few scenes where he just sits there calm, rumbling and growling deep in his chest and it rattles stuff in my house.

I had it turned up to 0 on my volume dial last night. That's as high as I ever turn it up for anything and it was loud, but not as loud as I would expect with it turned up so high. Normally "0" on my dial is getting dangerously loud (95 dB-ish). There's something going on with the mix for sure, but if I turn it up enough there's some pretty powerful bass.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm hoping it's anemic in the way I had a rip of Blade Runner 2049 in DD vs the bluray soundtrack (way different in level particularly). I'll be renting the bluray when available....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think I saw Godzilla vs Kong 4 times now. But only the last 15 minutes of the movie, skipping all the parts with the boring humans in it. I guess this director doesn't know that we watch theses movies to see Godzilla and Kong, not stupid boring annoying people. :eek: :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Yeah, I hope the disk is better too. This is pathetic.....
Edit: just in case you can’t see the numbers ...

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW, this movie seems to be love/hate on the track. Seems to be source dependent?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
FWIW, this movie seems to be love/hate on the track. Seems to be source dependent?
I think it is. For some reason I had poorer performance using my firetv than when I switched to pc. I have a friend who shares his plex account with me and he has it on hard drive now I believe. So that's how I got to watch it, without HBOMax. Rewatched a bunch of it last night with the volume dial on -5 and we were rattling the walls, easily. My wife was giving me "holy sh!t" eyes during some passages. There's a ton of bass in the version I have access to.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think it is. For some reason I had poorer performance using my firetv than when I switched to pc. I have a friend who shares his plex account with me and he has it on hard drive now I believe. So that's how I got to watch it, without HBOMax. Rewatched a bunch of it last night with the volume dial on -5 and we were rattling the walls, easily. My wife was giving me "holy sh!t" eyes during some passages. There's a ton of bass in the version I have access to.
Looks really hot between 30 and 50. Really disappointed in the roll off. Should be flat to the mid teens anyway...
Still, I’m looking forward to this a lot. Full suspension of disbelief of course. Lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks really hot between 30 and 50. Really disappointed in the roll off. Should be flat to the mid teens anyway...
Still, I’m looking forward to this a lot. Full suspension of disbelief of course. Lol
That makes sense. Like I said earlier I can't say I detected much below 20 hz, but lots in the audible range. 30 hz sounds about right for some of the deeper bass I experienced. Pretty far from infrasonic but still a pretty good ride. 30-40 hz will rattle the pictures on the wall for me if I turn it up enough.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That makes sense. Like I said earlier I can't say I detected much below 20 hz, but lots in the audible range. 30 hz sounds about right for some of the deeper bass I experienced. Pretty far from infrasonic but still a pretty good ride. 30-40 hz will rattle the pictures on the wall for me if I turn it up enough.
The reason I am disappointed is when we’re talking about YUUUGE creatures capable of knocking down skyscrapers, I think a full range soundtrack is appropriate. 30-40hz is fun, but my kid can rattle stuff in the house with his CRV in the driveway with that lol. I mean it’s 2021, I don’t want a Fukkin soundbar mix, I want to shake the couch. I only have good response down to about 14hz, but damnit, I want to use it!!!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Went to see it today... put me in ADTG's camp.

The monster fights were awesome.

The 85% of the movie where monsters weren't fighting, was one of the worst films I've ever seen. Felt like someone tried to remake Michael Bay's Transformers 2 but subbed in King Kong and Godzilla for Optimus Prime and Megatron. :rolleyes:

Jokes that went through my mind as I watched: (no spoilers, and you won't get it unless you've seen it)

"Star Trek 2: The Axe of Kong"

"Mary Poppins? Is he cool?"

"By the Power of Greyskull...."

"John Travolta would have just used an adrenaline shot."

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It was worth it just to see Kong pull off a Mel Gibson by ramming his dislocated shoulder against a building to pop it back into place. It even topped his Bruce Willis jump off the ship with Godzilla's nuclear blast exploding behind him!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sat through it a couple of more times. After some tweaks, a bit better but not great. It is what it is, and I love it! Oh, and that little girl just gets to me. Precious little thing. She outperformed everybody else in the movie without speaking an audible word. But, hell, so did the monsters.:D

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Finally watched it - way better than the original for what its worth. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't think I ever caught the original of this particular title now that I look at the trailer https://www.imdb.com/video/vi915472665?playlistId=tt0056142&ref_=tt_ov_vi
Oh god, compared to the original this one is a masterpiece. The original has its charm I guess, but the special effects were awful and the fights were downright goofy. I remember watching it on a Sunday back in the 70s when I was a kid and laughing at Kong stuffing a tree down 'zillas throat.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis