Getting the full SDA Effect from Polk L800 Speakers

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not convinced yet. You might be correct, but the entire design is patented, and I have trouble believing the strategy is just an L - R signal. Here is the patent. This site does not include figures referenced by the patent, and since the patent is verbose it makes it annoying to follow. I'm tied up most of the weekend, but perhaps one of you can make sense out of it.
That patent application was submitted in 2018. Was it approved?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
That patent application was submitted in 2018. Was it approved?
Yes. Here is the resulting patent. I wish I had found this first, because it looks like IP attorneys had a hand in making it *a lot* better.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Wow, that patent is a bizzarre, postmodern masterpiece. It makes quite a few claims and goes into a lot of analysis without actually supporting the claims. TLS basically nailed the fundamental design, but they've added a first order filter to the ambient arrays, resulting in the associated phase shift, and have renamed that as "head shadow compensation" in true postmodern fashion.

While it's beyond ridiculous, I can see how the combo of arrays, driver spacing, and appropriate listener positioning would produce some kooky, unconventional spatial effects. Genuine crosstalk cancellation though?
the phase shift isn’t the head shadow compensation. The head shadow compensation is a roll-off in the response to mimic the head shadow. Which follows a first order Low pass filter. They mixed that with the off-axis angle of the array drivers.

the system works exactly as advertised. There is no conspiracy here. The L-R/R-Lsignal replayed from the right distance of the opposite side cancels crosstalk. It’s that simple.

they provided me with their own measurments including crosstalk cancelation. I did the same but the results were a bit iffy (Largely my own difficulty in measuring it). They measured upwards of 20dB of XTC. I couldn’t replicate it but I also don’t have the right measurement gear. They used a HATS. I now have a head worn measurement microphone that should allow better measurements and plan to revisit it in the future.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
You know I think you are right. I think this is not really sending out of phase output from the opposite channel. That would null the center information.

So in fact it probably is the old Hafler circuit used as "pseudo surround" back in years done by. I experimented with that and abandoned it smartly. It did have somewhat of a vogue. So what they are doing with these speakers is using that crude passive Hafler circuit to derive difference signal between left and right channels, and then feed that out of phase to the outside drivers of the opposite speaker.

Here is a good description of the Hafler circuit. It does explain why an amp without a true ground for at least one speaker terminal would not drive that Polk contraption. In addition the fact that it does not work with balanced output amps, gives the game away as you have correctly surmised. Very well done six2xpack!

Really, Polk (Sound United should just be honest about what they are doing and stop the confusion. However I suspect that if they had been honest about regurgitating this old and largely discredited approach, they would not have much of a market.
There is no lie or grand scheme. Using an inverted difference signal to cancel crosstalk is how it’s done.

don’t confuse this with the original use of the “hafler” circuit which was to derive a pseudo surround effect. That isn’t what Polk is doing. The hafler circuit is just a passive means of deriving a difference signal. That is only one tiny part of what Polk has done. Their innovation was to figure out how to use that with a precisely spaced set of array drivers to cancel crosstalk passively. The speaker is exactly as advertised.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Yes. Here is the resulting patent. I wish I had found this first, because it looks like IP attorneys had a hand in making it *a lot* better.

Im not really sure what is so wrong with the patent. It doesn’t include an example circuit but is otherwise fairly clear in what they are doing. It accurately describes the speaker from what I see.

im also not clear on the lack of precise language you are accusing me of. Given than the terms I usedare consistent with that of the electrical engineers who wrote about the amplifiers, what’s the issue? I still don’t understand what I said that was either incorrect or imprecise?

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Point taken, Irv, and yes, try to give these speakers a listen if you get the chance.

As for the way the review deals with the SDA array versus certain amplifier topologies, keep in mind that Matthew was the ONLY reviewer who even picked up on this issue. No other reviewer understood the speaker well enough to consider the matter at all. Many other reviewers had some bizarre and contradictory comments on the nature of the speaker in light of our experience. We did some blind testing on the speaker with and without the SDA effect, and that is how Matthew identified the issue. I would say a lot of other reviewers heard the sound of their own expectations. One of the things that helped us to identify the issue was that we approached the L800s a bit skeptical of the SDA technology ourselves. When I first heard the speaker, I didn't think it imaged better than normal speakers, but that was before Matthew realized that the amp he was using wasn't really compatible for the SDA effect.
To be clear. I didn’t discover anything here. It was apparently a known old problem. Someone on this forum pointed it out. I then went back to Polk and inquired and they told me it was a concern. I was as skeptical and confused as you all. But once I understood how the circuit worked I eventually got it. That and the fact that changing the amplifier dramatically enhanced the image.

but I think it’s important to also know that all of this came straight from the Polk engineers that designed the speaker. Unlike reviewers who spouted nonsense and never bothered to fact check, everything in my review was checked for accuracy.

my the number of dumb things said about this speaker in reviews killed me because it highlighted that they didn’t understand the product they were reviewing. Things like:

The timbre of the speaker is worsened by unhooking the SDA cable. Well, that can’t be true, it actually gets better. XTC effects timbre in a negative way and we heard it. I have measurements to prove that.

the SDA array doesn’t work at all with balanced output amplifiers. That is nonsense both in that a quick look at the old schematics would show that isn’t true and also that simply placing your ear to the SDA speaker would show it is working. I also touched the cones and found the vibrated to stimulus sent to the speaker. If sound is sent to the right speaker and something comes out of the dimensional array of the left speaker, then it’s working. I did all of those tests in trying to figure out the problems.

very few described XTC accurately. Very few used any binaural recordings. One guy did YouTube sound tests with a widely spaced stereo mic pair and ncore based Marantz amplifier. It stood no chance of showing the effect of the XTC circuit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting discussion. I remember the old SDA speakers had similar unique amp needs and you'd want to take that into account in use....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
To be clear. I didn’t discover anything here. It was apparently a known old problem. Someone on this forum pointed it out. I then went back to Polk and inquired and they told me it was a concern. I was as skeptical and confused as you all. But once I understood how the circuit worked I eventually got it. That and the fact that changing the amplifier dramatically enhanced the image.

but I think it’s important to also know that all of this came straight from the Polk engineers that designed the speaker. Unlike reviewers who spouted nonsense and never bothered to fact check, everything in my review was checked for accuracy.

my the number of dumb things said about this speaker in reviews killed me because it highlighted that they didn’t understand the product they were reviewing. Things like:

The timbre of the speaker is worsened by unhooking the SDA cable. Well, that can’t be true, it actually gets better. XTC effects timbre in a negative way and we heard it. I have measurements to prove that.

the SDA array doesn’t work at all with balanced output amplifiers. That is nonsense both in that a quick look at the old schematics would show that isn’t true and also that simply placing your ear to the SDA speaker would show it is working. I also touched the cones and found the vibrated to stimulus sent to the speaker. If sound is sent to the right speaker and something comes out of the dimensional array of the left speaker, then it’s working. I did all of those tests in trying to figure out the problems.

very few described XTC accurately. Very few used any binaural recordings. One guy did YouTube sound tests with a widely spaced stereo mic pair and ncore based Marantz amplifier. It stood no chance of showing the effect of the XTC circuit.
I have had a good look at the tidied up application. I also looked at the circuits and what measurements they had on offer, especially the recording at the ear.

First of all there is a lot of loose talk about phase. As I have said before, phase and time shift are just different terms for the same parameter. Phase shifts alter time arrivals, and alterations in time arrivals indicate a phase shift.

The circuits apart from pretty standard third order crossover topology are in essence Hafler plus. Hafler used is circuit to capture rear ambient information, as rear reflections are generally antiphase. So this antiphase signals were sent to rear speakers. In my view this was not particularly convincing.

However here we are trying to retrieve the difference signal, and leave identical signals alone. This has to be, otherwise center signals would be cancelled to a very high degree.

Now all this is going to depend on minimizing room and boundary effects which inevitably must play havoc with this, and has the potential to severely disrupt the association between the direct and reflected sound. The reason being that the left right crosstalk is being cancelled in free air, and NOT at the speaker. So that would lead me to believe that the speakers would have to be close together and the listener in pretty close proximity. So yes, the effect would be similar to the dummy head binaural technology. I can see why a binaural recording would be an advantage. However these are not common, and I certainly don't own any, and can see why a lot of reviewers would not.

The mid drivers are in opposite polarity to the woofers with respect to each other. As far has the first order filter is concerned which is said to compensate for the width of the head, I did not do the time calculation. It is a high Q first order filter, as it consists of an inductor shunted with a resistor. It would have the effect though of reducing the above phasing error by about 45 degrees.

How you would really measure that speaker, I have no idea. They do proffer a recording at the ear in figure 3. It is not particularly encouraging. I really don't know how to interpret it as I have never made a recording at the ear.

They make the claim, without substantive evidence that I can discern, that these speakers spaced at a distance of 6' will throw images to the extremities of a room about 12' wide, provided that the listener is 6' from the center line between the speakers, and the speakers are 4' from the wall/boundary behind. At least that is how I interpreted that particular figure 1D. This would be in line with comments I have made above. In addition I would also think the room would have to be well on the dead side, especially the side walls.

These dimensional constraints make these speakers not useful in many, if not most, HT environments. I certainly could not use them in my theater. My wife would have conniptions if I used them in even our other two systems. I really find it hard to believe that people will be heading to rush out and purchase these speakers if they do due diligence before purchase. When all is said and done, I remain sceptical that the sound field is superior to really good speakers placed 12 to 14 feet apart. I highly doubt that the sound stage is as good. And we have only discussed imaging across the width of the room, and there have been no comments on the depth of focus, which in my view is even more important, or at least as important as imaging between the speakers.

All said and done the new up mixers with good speakers in a 7.2.4 system can provide surprisingly good left/right, depth and height imaging from a good two channel source, and without being locked into a highly limited sweet spot.

I will try and hear those speakers. However I also will be guilty of not using a binaural recording, as I don't own one, and I'm not about to look for one. So I can forgive the reviewers for not using one also, as that is an unreasonable expectation in my view.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Still skeptical? I’m shocked, just shocked. I’ll certainly sleep better tonight knowing you’re willing to give them a chance.:rolleyes: How long does it take to get mop and clean up this joint anyway? Hey, enjoy your speakers Matthew.:)

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I have had a good look at the tidied up application. I also looked at the circuits and what measurements they had on offer, especially the recording at the ear.

First of all there is a lot of loose talk about phase. As I have said before, phase and time shift are just different terms for the same parameter. Phase shifts alter time arrivals, and alterations in time arrivals indicate a phase shift.

The circuits apart from pretty standard third order crossover topology are in essence Hafler plus. Hafler used is circuit to capture rear ambient information, as rear reflections are generally antiphase. So this antiphase signals were sent to rear speakers. In my view this was not particularly convincing.

However here we are trying to retrieve the difference signal, and leave identical signals alone. This has to be, otherwise center signals would be cancelled to a very high degree.

Now all this is going to depend on minimizing room and boundary effects which inevitably must play havoc with this, and has the potential to severely disrupt the association between the direct and reflected sound. The reason being that the left right crosstalk is being cancelled in free air, and NOT at the speaker. So that would lead me to believe that the speakers would have to be close together and the listener in pretty close proximity. So yes, the effect would be similar to the dummy head binaural technology. I can see why a binaural recording would be an advantage. However these are not common, and I certainly don't own any, and can see why a lot of reviewers would not.

The mid drivers are in opposite polarity to the woofers with respect to each other. As far has the first order filter is concerned which is said to compensate for the width of the head, I did not do the time calculation. It is a high Q first order filter, as it consists of an inductor shunted with a resistor. It would have the effect though of reducing the above phasing error by about 45 degrees.

How you would really measure that speaker, I have no idea. They do proffer a recording at the ear in figure 3. It is not particularly encouraging. I really don't know how to interpret it as I have never made a recording at the ear.

They make the claim, without substantive evidence that I can discern, that these speakers spaced at a distance of 6' will throw images to the extremities of a room about 12' wide, provided that the listener is 6' from the center line between the speakers, and the speakers are 4' from the wall/boundary behind. At least that is how I interpreted that particular figure 1D. This would be in line with comments I have made above. In addition I would also think the room would have to be well on the dead side, especially the side walls.

These dimensional constraints make these speakers not useful in many, if not most, HT environments. I certainly could not use them in my theater. My wife would have conniptions if I used them in even our other two systems. I really find it hard to believe that people will be heading to rush out and purchase these speakers if they do due diligence before purchase. When all is said and done, I remain sceptical that the sound field is superior to really good speakers placed 12 to 14 feet apart. I highly doubt that the sound stage is as good. And we have only discussed imaging across the width of the room, and there have been no comments on the depth of focus, which in my view is even more important, or at least as important as imaging between the speakers.

All said and done the new up mixers with good speakers in a 7.2.4 system can provide surprisingly good left/right, depth and height imaging from a good two channel source, and without being locked into a highly limited sweet spot.

I will try and hear those speakers. However I also will be guilty of not using a binaural recording, as I don't own one, and I'm not about to look for one. So I can forgive the reviewers for not using one also, as that is an unreasonable expectation in my view.
I gave a list of songs to check out that are mainstream artists done in binaural. If you sue a streaming service you may try some out. Binaural isn’t a must to hear the speaker. It is just the kind of recording that an XTC speaker works best with. It would have the most extreme imaging.

the head shadow is actually the shadow case by the protrusion of the head. It’s the effect on the frequency response of a soundwave that hits the right ear for sound coming from the left side (or reverse). Since soundwaves get longer at lower frequencies and will increase in their likelihood of wrapping around the head, we have a rollled off response like that of a first order filter. But it isn’t exactly a first order filter. What Polk did was take advantage of the off-axis response of the array drivers by placing them at an extreme angle to the listener.
1618148736352.jpeg

Here you can see the measured head shadow response at different angles.

as for the hafler circuit discussion. Are you now in agreement that this is being used to cancel crosstalk or are you suggesting something else? I notice you are conspicuously not mentioning that fact and I want to be sure we are in agreement here. The circuit isn’t meant to extract ambience information and play that back. It’s meant to cancel the crosstalk.

patents don’t need proof and I would never expect it. That is for white papers and journal articles. They haven’t published that. Which as much as we prefer to see that, is incredibly uncommon. I’ve been told recently that even some of the most prolific CE companies for publishing research will soon stop in favor of proprietary research.

for proof of the idea I would look at the many articles published on crosstalk cancelation generally.

In terms of how to measure such a speaker. It really isn’t that hard if you have the right tools, software, and facilities. The main response of the speaker matters most so you treat the speaker like any speaker. You measure it with the XTC function disconnected and measure it’s full polar response. I did that and presented the data.

crosstalk can be measured a number of ways. First is to measure IACC using a binaural measurement system. You can also measure more simply the ILD. The BAACH folks have further refined this into a direct measure of XTC in their software. There are a number of challenges for measuring XTC in a room however which is why I didn’t publish the results. Scott looked at them and questioned how confident we could be that they were right. They too had trouble getting good results and they had an anechoic chamber, which is a much better way of testing the effect of the circuit. We decided that since people wouldn’t be used to seeing this information and because there was a chance it wasn’t fully accurate, we wouldn’t publish that data. I am hopeful to use a more advanced piece of software from the folks at BAACH to measure it in the future. The software I used came from Farina and wasn’t really intended for this purpose. I also don’t have a HATS and was relying on crude gear that was showing its limits in these tests. My dummy head didn’t have a good head shadow and my ear mics didn’t have a flat enough response, weren’t matched, etc. I now have a much better head worn mic for this.

as for how to measure the response at the ear. That is it’s own science but for folks who do that, the response is well known. Typically you wouldn’t do that to measure a speaker. In this case it’s just to see how effective the crosstalk cancelation is and to see how significant the coloration actually is at the ear. How it would show up at an omni mic in room is not necessarily representative.

As for the room messing things up. Yes it does but it’s not as bad as you would think. You can still realize in excess of 15dB of XTC over a wide bandwidth with many of the systems on the market in a real untreated room. BAACH achieved in excess of 30dB and even this system appeared to be achieving just under 20 for me. The key is that the reflections need to be relatively weak and farther out in time. So a sufficiently large room or well absorbed lateral reflections. In my case, a single 4” panel fixed the problems in my room. As I understand, Polk doesn’t treat their rooms. Their demo rooms were simply larger than mine.

as for the narrowness of the sweet spot. James and I tested this and while it’s true that it’s a problem, it too may not be as big a problem as you might think. The farther you sit back the farther you can spread the speakers and the wider the sweet spot. So in a large enough room, you could achieve a sweet spot that encompasses multiple seats. In my theater you could but it wasn’t terrible either. The effect was not destroyed to the immediate side and we found if you moved back a row it sounded better. It also didn’t sound bad to the sides. It simply lost the amazing imaging and sounded like a typical speaker.

while you are right that modern upmixers can do a lot. I don’t see this as an either or. This system can work in multichannel. As another noted, this is a core part of modern ambisonics. XTC in surround upmixers is not a new idea for the consumer market either. But I could see this becoming more core as technology progresses. The advantage would be a larger sweet spot and far more immersive experience. These systems rely on precisely placed and characterized speakers. They work best with highly controlled and fairly narrow dispersion speakers so that is probably the main reason we don’t see them being marketed as a legit technology. Outside of a lab you can’t control what speakers people buy or how they set them up. But as I said. I’ve heard a full ambisonics system and it was simply the most realistic recreation of a musical performance I ever heard.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
There is no conspiracy here.
Never said there was.
The L-R/R-Lsignal replayed from the right distance of the opposite side cancels crosstalk. It’s that simple.
Yes, that is the claim. If it's really that simple, supporting evidence should be easy to produce. I'm sure you'll get right on that.

While we wait for either verification or falsifying evidence, lets consider the following. For wave cancellation to take place, the waveforms must be identical and out of phase. But the signals in use here are far from identical. The ambient arrays are indeed 180 deg. out of phase with each other, which is why you hear that wide, disembodied diffuse sound that expands beyond the speakers physical locations. This is nothing new or unexpected. Any pair of speakers playing the L - R signal out of phase do this, regardless of their proximity to other speakers.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
as for the narrowness of the sweet spot. James and I tested this and while it’s true that it’s a problem, it too may not be as big a problem as you might think. The farther you sit back the farther you can spread the speakers and the wider the sweet spot. So in a large enough room, you could achieve a sweet spot that encompasses multiple seats. In my theater you could but it wasn’t terrible either. The effect was not destroyed to the immediate side and we found if you moved back a row it sounded better. It also didn’t sound bad to the sides. It simply lost the amazing imaging and sounded like a typical speaker.
The sweet spot question doesn't concern me much, so long as sitting off-axis only results in the loss of some, shall we say, value-added imaging, and not noticeably worse sound. Some conventional speakers have narrow, finicky sweet spots, the Dunlavys of about 20 years ago come to mind, not to mention Magnepans, so it's not like this is an issue unique to the L800s. In an HT system it also begs the question of whether or not a center channel speaker would be in use. If it was, I wouldn't even worry about dialog still seeming to emanate from the display. In an HT system like mine, where I don't use a center speaker, I would be concerned about dialog centering, but most people I know use a center speaker. On their website Polk claims the L800 is compatible with all HT media formats, all of which support center channels. I didn't find any mention of center speakers in the L800 owner's manual, so I expect the L800 is center channel compatible.

In a multi-channel surround system I would guess the surround speakers overwhelm any effects from the SDA arrays. Meaning, for 2CH music listening you might want to use only the L800s (and perhaps subs). From the review it appears (unless I missed something) that you limited your listening to 2CH mode. Did you try the L800s in an HT set-up?

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Never said there was.

Yes, that is the claim. If it's really that simple, supporting evidence should be easy to produce. I'm sure you'll get right on that.

While we wait for either verification or falsifying evidence, lets consider the following. For wave cancellation to take place, the waveforms must be identical and out of phase. But the signals in use here are far from identical. The ambient arrays are indeed 180 deg. out of phase with each other, which is why you hear that wide, disembodied diffuse sound that expands beyond the speakers physical locations. This is nothing new or unexpected. Any pair of speakers playing the L - R signal out of phase do this, regardless of their proximity to other speakers.
But let’s also consider that I already linked to half a dozen papers explaining crosstalk cancelation circuits and providing evidence. They work with a difference signal as well. They simply use DSP to feed it into the main speakers instead. This is what BAACH does. Why not just look to them for evidence. You seem skeptical but I don’t get why.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
The sweet spot question doesn't concern me much, so long as sitting off-axis only results in the loss of some, shall we say, value-added imaging, and not noticeably worse sound. Some conventional speakers have narrow, finicky sweet spots, the Dunlavys of about 20 years ago come to mind, not to mention Magnepans, so it's not like this is an issue unique to the L800s. In an HT system it also begs the question of whether or not a center channel speaker would be in use. If it was, I wouldn't even worry about dialog still seeming to emanate from the display. In an HT system like mine, where I don't use a center speaker, I would be concerned about dialog centering, but most people I know use a center speaker. On their website Polk claims the L800 is compatible with all HT media formats, all of which support center channels. I didn't find any mention of center speakers in the L800 owner's manual, so I expect the L800 is center channel compatible.

In a multi-channel surround system I would guess the surround speakers overwhelm any effects from the SDA arrays. Meaning, for 2CH music listening you might want to use only the L800s (and perhaps subs). From the review it appears (unless I missed something) that you limited your listening to 2CH mode. Did you try the L800s in an HT set-up?
I didn’t have matching surround speakers or a matching center to try. My HT setup relied on differential output amplifiers. I had set these up as a separate system in the room.

I now have the matching center and plan to set them up for surround use. It should be compatible. Polk is certainly selling them this way and tested it themselves. I just didn’t have the ability at the time of the review period.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Never said there was.

Why should he provide supporting evidence to you? Instead, You are the one who should be providing peer reviewed journal articles to counter the review premise.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
But let’s also consider that I already linked to half a dozen papers explaining crosstalk cancelation circuits and providing evidence. They work with a difference signal as well. They simply use DSP to feed it into the main speakers instead. This is what BAACH does. Why not just look to them for evidence. You seem skeptical but I don’t get why.
I would like to see evidence relating to these Polks, not the quite different approch of another comany.

Maybe it's the bee's knees, maybe it's just kooky, unconventional spatial effects. You said yourself that this is all in pursuit of an illusion, and one man's kooky spatial effects are another's audio nirvana. There is no right or wrong there. But this is reductive science, so querries into what these speakers are actually doing and the manufacturer claims are fair game.

Last edited:
Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Why should he provide supporting evidence to you? Instead, You are the one who should be providing peer reviewed journal articles to counter the review premise.
It wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect me to provide some proof in the form of peer reviewed articles. Which I did.

I do have measurements of the ILD with the crosstalk cancelation filters on vs off. The problem is that it wasn’t taken correctly as I didn’t have a HATS. It corrupted them by not having a true head shadow. Further, they look consistent with the ones Princeton researchers produced, which means they are very messy. I rely on their expertise to know it’s right, but basically the difference analysis you use ends up mostly showing the comb filtering, so it’s very rough.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I would like to see evidence relating to these Polks, not the quite different approch of another comany.
If you are so sure this is some kind of scam feel free to get it yourself. Those approaches are not so different. If you actually read the half dozen papers you would see that this is a sound approach and that it’s very difficult to accurately measure. Why is it my responsibility to obtain the more than half a million dollars in equipment and facilities to back up claims already backed up by plenty of research?

did you look at the basic XTC formula in the Princeton paper prior to their introduction of the timbre adjustment filter? Their basic starting point is the same L-R plus the delay between the ears. Identical to what Polk has done passively. They then add in additional filters to maintain high XTC while not corrupting the timbre.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I didn’t have matching surround speakers or a matching center to try. My HT setup relied on differential output amplifiers. I had set these up as a separate system in the room.

I now have the matching center and plan to set them up for surround use. It should be compatible. Polk is certainly selling them this way and tested it themselves. I just didn’t have the ability at the time of the review period.
You will enjoy the L400. I use it in a 7.2.4 system with the L800s.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I gave a list of songs to check out that are mainstream artists done in binaural. If you sue a streaming service you may try some out. Binaural isn’t a must to hear the speaker. It is just the kind of recording that an XTC speaker works best with. It would have the most extreme imaging.

the head shadow is actually the shadow case by the protrusion of the head. It’s the effect on the frequency response of a soundwave that hits the right ear for sound coming from the left side (or reverse). Since soundwaves get longer at lower frequencies and will increase in their likelihood of wrapping around the head, we have a rollled off response like that of a first order filter. But it isn’t exactly a first order filter. What Polk did was take advantage of the off-axis response of the array drivers by placing them at an extreme angle to the listener.
View attachment 46534

Here you can see the measured head shadow response at different angles.

as for the hafler circuit discussion. Are you now in agreement that this is being used to cancel crosstalk or are you suggesting something else? I notice you are conspicuously not mentioning that fact and I want to be sure we are in agreement here. The circuit isn’t meant to extract ambience information and play that back. It’s meant to cancel the crosstalk.

patents don’t need proof and I would never expect it. That is for white papers and journal articles. They haven’t published that. Which as much as we prefer to see that, is incredibly uncommon. I’ve been told recently that even some of the most prolific CE companies for publishing research will soon stop in favor of proprietary research.

for proof of the idea I would look at the many articles published on crosstalk cancelation generally.

In terms of how to measure such a speaker. It really isn’t that hard if you have the right tools, software, and facilities. The main response of the speaker matters most so you treat the speaker like any speaker. You measure it with the XTC function disconnected and measure it’s full polar response. I did that and presented the data.

crosstalk can be measured a number of ways. First is to measure IACC using a binaural measurement system. You can also measure more simply the ILD. The BAACH folks have further refined this into a direct measure of XTC in their software. There are a number of challenges for measuring XTC in a room however which is why I didn’t publish the results. Scott looked at them and questioned how confident we could be that they were right. They too had trouble getting good results and they had an anechoic chamber, which is a much better way of testing the effect of the circuit. We decided that since people wouldn’t be used to seeing this information and because there was a chance it wasn’t fully accurate, we wouldn’t publish that data. I am hopeful to use a more advanced piece of software from the folks at BAACH to measure it in the future. The software I used came from Farina and wasn’t really intended for this purpose. I also don’t have a HATS and was relying on crude gear that was showing its limits in these tests. My dummy head didn’t have a good head shadow and my ear mics didn’t have a flat enough response, weren’t matched, etc. I now have a much better head worn mic for this.

as for how to measure the response at the ear. That is it’s own science but for folks who do that, the response is well known. Typically you wouldn’t do that to measure a speaker. In this case it’s just to see how effective the crosstalk cancelation is and to see how significant the coloration actually is at the ear. How it would show up at an omni mic in room is not necessarily representative.

As for the room messing things up. Yes it does but it’s not as bad as you would think. You can still realize in excess of 15dB of XTC over a wide bandwidth with many of the systems on the market in a real untreated room. BAACH achieved in excess of 30dB and even this system appeared to be achieving just under 20 for me. The key is that the reflections need to be relatively weak and farther out in time. So a sufficiently large room or well absorbed lateral reflections. In my case, a single 4” panel fixed the problems in my room. As I understand, Polk doesn’t treat their rooms. Their demo rooms were simply larger than mine.

while you are right that modern upmixers can do a lot. I don’t see this as an either or. This system can work in multichannel. As another noted, this is a core part of modern ambisonics. XTC in surround upmixers is not a new idea for the consumer market either. But I could see this becoming more core as technology progresses. The advantage would be a larger sweet spot and far more immersive experience. These systems rely on precisely placed and characterized speakers. They work best with highly controlled and fairly narrow dispersion speakers so that is probably the main reason we don’t see them being marketed as a legit technology. Outside of a lab you can’t control what speakers people buy or how they set them up. But as I said. I’ve heard a full ambisonics system and it was simply the most realistic recreation of a musical performance I ever heard.
I think I need to go back to first principles again. This approach is bogus. I have thought about this long and hard.

After looking at the circuit, I accept that because of the circuit based on the Hafler principle that signals of equal intensity will not be cancelled.

However what I do not accept is the principle in right left crosstalk has to exist. That fact that it is an issue, is because recording engineers by and large do not know their craft.

So let's go back to first principles. In a purely two channel system, the location of any sound can be defined mathematically by x/y geometric coordinates. If it is a 3D system like Atmos then it is defined by x/y/h coordinates. This is the whole foundation of the Atmos system and why it works.

Now I would maintain that the human brain deals with crosstalk continuously. People with normal hearing hear all sounds with both ears.

Now in a stereo recording done correctly, any sound can have the x/y coordinates preserved and recorded correctly. This requires that the relative intensities of sounds as to their left and right coordinates be preserved correctly. So if a sound is central, then speakers will play equally. If the sound is between the relative intensities will be preserved to the degree they differ from the 90 degree datum to left or right, and the mathematical coordinates will be preserved.

Now this requires, that these relative intensities be recorded at a point in space.

Alan Blumlein knew this back in 1935. We continue to disregard the inventor of stereo sound, and one of the pivotal geniuses in the history of audio.

His point was that if you record at a point the relative intensities of sounds relative to position then you preserve the coordinates of the origin of the sound. This assumes they you do not cause gross time shifts throughout the recording chain.

However what to we do? We place a bunch of microphones all over the sound field widely separated in space, and played back via speakers generally plagued with unwarranted time aberrations. Then there should be absolutely no surprise imaging is vague to non existent.

So Alan Blumlein reasoned correctly that what was required for good imaging was a microphone system that recorded the intensity of sounds relative to their left right position. His reasoning can not be faulted, yet we continue to ignore it. Hence we go in search of nonsensical solutions to a problem of our creation.

I can assure you that if you follow Blumlein's logic the problem is solved.

I can demonstrate this, and will post here again, some of my Blumlein intensity stereo recordings I made over the years I made radio broadcasts. These image perfectly. They were actually really pivotal in guiding my speaker design development. Actually there really do sort out speakers. If a set of speakers can present an accurately localized images between the speakers with some depth of field, with an even FR, they are winners. If they can't, they are defective in design, no ifs or buts.

Now with the added bonus of the new Dolby Digital surround upmixer, these recordings produce an incredibly lifelike representation of the original venue on this 7.2.4 system. I have no need of center spread. In fact it ruins the effect. If anything left right imaging is actually enhanced.

So I will post again these recordings about which I also give background information. I would be interested to see how they sound on those Polk speakers. I have a feeling it may not be pretty. You should try them with an without the outside speakers engaged. When used as a straight stereo pair, they should be 12' apart though and not 6'.

These are the two videos I put up and you can see the metering, including the phase scope.

I'm also going to post another of Tom Scotts Blumlein recording of his brother playing Wachet Auf, on the organ at Petworth Sussex.
This shows how well this mic technique preserves spatial information. This organ has a division on the right and a division right ahead, as you can see in the video.

The flutes are played in the right division, and the reed playing the melody is right ahead. Even though this is a two channel recording, the flute division is firmly in the right of the room, and the reed up front, with very little crosstalk. So the right surround is totally dominant in the reproduction of the right flute division. At least it is on this rig.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis