Front Three Channel Recommendations $2000

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
With a midrange to bass driver crossover frequency of 100Hz, that looks problematic for conventional use with a subwoofer. Their impedance also dips below 3 ohms. If I were to use this speaker, I would run it full range, and I would use a very stout amplifier.
James, if I may ask, what's your Thoughts on Polks LSiM 705's? I am thinking of picking up a pair. They are both 50" + tall with the 707's being deeper. From what I have read up on the LSiM tower's The consensus is the LSiM 705's are the better choice of the two.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
You could use your old Denon. But most if those speakers will benefit from more Power. But you could use it for awhile.

Outlaw has those at $300.00 each if you buy in a Bundle. Those lil beast amps are a nice bang for the buck.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
James, if I may ask, what's your Thoughts on Polks LSiM 705's? I am thinking of picking up a pair. They are both 50" + tall with the 707's being deeper. From what I have read up on the LSiM tower's The consensus is the LSiM 705's are the better choice of the two.
There isn't a lot of data on the 705s that I can see. I would expect them to have a similarly harsh impedance load as the 707s. They also have a crossover for subwoofer drivers at 100 Hz. That is an odd design choice and is clearly a speaker that isn't intended to be mated with outboard subwoofers. I don't see how 707s are considered the better speaker between the two; they are largely the same speaker.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
Thank you everyone! I think I have some great options. I think a key thing for me to remember is that all of these will be great choices so I can't really go wrong. Better to pick something and actually start using it!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
There isn't a lot of data on the 705s that I can see. I would expect them to have a similarly harsh impedance load as the 707s. They also have a crossover for subwoofer drivers at 100 Hz. That is an odd design choice and is clearly a speaker that isn't intended to be mated with outboard subwoofers. I don't see how 707s are considered the better speaker between the two; they are largely the same speaker.
Thanks James, Really appreciate your input.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Polk lsim are nice but they really aren’t in same category as canton. It’s like comparing jtr subs to Polk subs. It’s a drastic difference

canton is more comparable to kef, bowers, revel, focal, faber and other high end brands.

596.2 is a good speaker but the 556.2 is a little small. I’d try to move up to vento line, recently they had 896.2 with free 866.2 center. Nice getting $7000 of speakers for $3000. Those vento will sound and perform incredible. As good as focal kanta or kef reference but it’s all my preference. I own many canton and love them.

also the denon 1612 won’t safely run any canton speakers. At least not at higher levels, you’ll need a good avr or amp even. Something like denon 4700 with ati amp. Or pioneer 704 with outlaw amp. Or marantz 8012 with Rotel amp. With great speakers like these you’ll need to invest another 1500-4000 in electronics.

the Polk lsim need a ton of power too

good luck and have fun

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Polk lsim are nice but they really aren’t in same category as canton. It’s like comparing jtr subs to Polk subs. It’s a drastic difference

canton is more comparable to kef, bowers, revel, focal, faber and other high end brands.

596.2 is a good speaker but the 556.2 is a little small. I’d try to move up to vento line, recently they had 896.2 with free 866.2 center. Nice getting $7000 of speakers for $3000. Those vento will sound and perform incredible. As good as focal kanta or kef reference but it’s all my preference. I own many canton and love them.

also the denon 1612 won’t safely run any canton speakers. At least not at higher levels, you’ll need a good avr or amp even. Something like denon 4700 with ati amp. Or pioneer 704 with outlaw amp. Or marantz 8012 with Rotel amp. With great speakers like these you’ll need to invest another 1500-4000 in electronics.

the Polk lsim need a ton of power too

good luck and have fun
I don't agree. The higher end Polk speakers are really good, and they are at least as accurate if not more so than any of the brands you mentioned, even Revel and Kef. The measurements for the LSiM speakers in particular show them to be extremely linear. Here is the listening window for the 703:

Does Canton produce anything that measures that well? I haven't seen it.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
The deal is over on the canton but they happen frequently on accessories for less. Check out kpaceguy on YouTube, he just went from lsim to vento line. Said it was a monumental improvement over Polk. I really like Polk audio too, from rt2000 to lsi25 I had. I tried lsim 707 and it was nice but too dark sounding for me. Just my preference, still nice speaker though. I actually liked rti12 better than lsim.

canton does very well on graphs as well. They are all over the internet but most are in German. Enjoy doing the research on them. It’s a fun company to look into. The 9.2 are just bookshelves too
43BEE188-6EF4-4642-A769-B53FEB576ED0.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The deal is over on the canton but they happen frequently on accessories for less. Check out kpaceguy on YouTube, he just went from lsim to vento line. Said it was a monumental improvement over Polk. I really like Polk audio too, from rt2000 to lsi25 I had. I tried lsim 707 and it was nice but too dark sounding for me. Just my preference, still nice speaker though. I actually liked rti12 better than lsim.

canton does very well on graphs as well. They are all over the internet but most are in German. Enjoy doing the research on them. It’s a fun company to look into. The 9.2 are just bookshelves too View attachment 38331
FWIW there's a pair of these in Cherry for sale for $1500 on the FB group Audiophiles on a Budget: Buy, Sell.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
You didn't mention a budget. But, since you will be using this for 50% music.....

If your budget's not big,
I would make a strong recommendation for the Elac Unifi Slimline series from Andrew Jones. When it comes to center channels, you're looking for something that's the least disruptive. The Uni-fi center channel with the concentric driver crossed over to the mid at 270 hz should be the least disruptive of many center channel out there. Most center channels out there are ASS by the way (flawed by design).
Anyways, these punch waaay above their price and you will get the high end audiophile experience if you spend the cash you saved on good electronics.

OR

the Elacs and the JBLs sound very "different" btw.

If your budget's bigger,
( Personally, i would have suggested the Adantes, which i use for my hometheater/2 channel hybrid system, but, they are not available anymore)
But, these JBL HDIs can blow your mind...

Diminishing returns kick in biggly after the jbl hdis, but, if your budget's even bigger,
you can try these...

In general, when you buy speakers, you gotta go with competent engineering man.
Anyone with a engineering degree is not bright by default (daddy has bought the dumass frat boy an engineering degree all through the ages). When you have 20 engineers in a room, one or two guys in the lot can display way more aptitude than the other clowns. Ya gotta figure out who the genius in the clown lot is, savvy?

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You didn't mention a budget. But, since you will be using this for 50% music.....

If your budget's not big,
I would make a strong recommendation for the Elac Unifi Slimline series from Andrew Jones. When it comes to center channels, you're looking for something that's the least disruptive. The Uni-fi center channel with the concentric driver crossed over to the mid at 270 hz should be the least disruptive of many center channel out there. Most center channels out there are ASS by the way (flawed by design).
Anyways, these punch waaay above their price and you will get the high end audiophile experience if you spend the cash you saved on good electronics.

OR

the Elacs and the JBLs sound very "different" btw.

If your budget's bigger,
( Personally, i would have suggested the Adantes, which i use for my hometheater/2 channel hybrid system, but, they are not available anymore)
But, these JBL HDIs can blow your mind...

Diminishing returns kick in biggly after the jbl hdis, but, if your budget's even bigger,
you can try these...

In general, when you buy speakers, you gotta go with competent engineering man.
Anyone with a engineering degree is not bright by default (daddy has bought the dumass frat boy an engineering degree all through the ages). When you have 20 engineers in a room, one or two guys in the lot can display way more aptitude than the other clowns. Ya gotta figure out who the genius in the clown lot is, savvy?
The thread title...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis