Front Three Channel Recommendations $2000

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks everyone! Great options. Has anyone heard the PowerSound Audio MT-110?
I have heard them. They can get loud, for sure, but other speakers will get you adequate dynamic range without the sacrifice in sound quality. I think you would do better with some of the options that you have listed.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
These will put you over budget just by a Little

Polk Audio LSiM 707

With a midrange to bass driver crossover frequency of 100Hz, that looks problematic for conventional use with a subwoofer. Their impedance also dips below 3 ohms. If I were to use this speaker, I would run it full range, and I would use a very stout amplifier.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Thanks everyone! Great options. Has anyone heard the PowerSound Audio MT-110?
Yes i own some they are great IMO.

I listen to my movies at reference levels and I get ZERO distortion. They don't go below 70hz so you definitely need a subwoofer.
IMG_20200627_173013.jpg

S

Space2013

Audioholic
No but knowing Tom V I'd expect they're good. Those are Bookshelf speakers.
I’m not opposed to bookshelf speakers as long as they have the dynamic range and sound quality I’m looking for. In fact I’d probably prefer them.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
I have heard them. They can get loud, for sure, but other speakers will get you adequate dynamic range without the sacrifice in sound quality. I think you would do better with some of the options that you have listed.
That is really good to know. I think you are right that I do not need that much dynamic range capability for my setup, plus I couldn’t find any measurements to see how linear their response is which is important to me. Very impressive looking speaker though for dynamic range.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
With a midrange to bass driver crossover frequency of 100Hz, that looks problematic for conventional use with a subwoofer. Their impedance also dips below 3 ohms. If I were to use this speaker, I would run it full range, and I would use a very stout amplifier.
That’s a really impressive looking speaker design, but I agree with my dual subwoofer setup I think the Canton towers would be a better option. That is a really intriguing design by Polk though!

S

Space2013

Audioholic
Thanks for the input! I definitely added the Cantons to my short list. I haven’t seen many 3-way center channels like the Canton where it use two identical looking woofers that cover different frequencies.

I think the center channel is very important for me given I hate when voices or dialogue are unclear. So I want to make sure any setup I have includes a robust center channel, which I believe all of these do!

I was also considering the Paradigm 700F and 500C, but that would put me a bit over budget and I think the Canton Chrono SL would have an advantage. I’m also keeping the Monolith THX 365 on the list. They may not have the finish of the Cantons but the review on Audioholics was quite impressive.

Anything else in this range I should consider?

Last edited:
S

Space2013

Audioholic
Hard to beat those Cantons

I Love these but a Little Over the Budget.

I do love the look of these, but with a 3-way center in there too I think it pushes the budget a bit, but I’ll keep it in mind!

S

Space2013

Audioholic
I reserved $1,000 of my budget to replace my old Denon 1612. However, if there are speakers that are slightly more expensive than my current $2,000 speaker budget, but could by driven by my current Denon 1612, I could delay my AVR purchase and put more toward the speakers.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You could use your old Denon. But most if those speakers will benefit from more Power. But you could use it for awhile.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
You could use your old Denon. But most if those speakers will benefit from more Power. But you could use it for awhile.

I would only continue to use the Denon 1612 if there was a really good set of speakers in the $2,000-$3,000 price range. I could delay buying a new AVR and put more money into the speakers if it was worth it.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
My list currently for passive front three channels under $2,000 is:
1) Monolith THX 365
2) Canton Chrono SL 596.2 and 556.2
3) NHT C3/CLCR
4) Paradigm 700F and 500C (a bit over budget)
5) Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower + Horizon (very over budget, but possible if I continue to use my old AVR and don’t budget for a new one).

I looked at Salk but I think for the dynamic range I want they get too expensive for my budget. Wonderful looking speakers, just out of my price range for the larger dual woofer fronts and three-way surrounds. I am still considering SVS.

Anything else I should considerfor passives in this price range?

Last edited:
S

Space2013

Audioholic

If I did continue to use my old AVR I could go up to $3,000 for the front three channels, but I’m not sure what I’d get over what I was looking at in the $2,000 range. It seems like a good set of $2,000 speakers plus a new AVR to drive them is a better combo but I could be wrong.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Those Cantons are $3000 speakers. How long do you think this Sale/Promotion is good for? Won't last forever

$1,699.99 - $999.99 41% off msrp

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
Aside from the Paradigm 800f/ 500c speakers (in a demo situation) which also sounded good to my ears, I have not personally heard the others on your list. I currently have the Canton 596.2 and 556.2 setup thanks to the recommendation of @mazersteven and sit roughly 10ft from them as well. I am extremely pleased by their performance and range in both HT and music. I think considering the sale they are some quality sounding speakers for $2k.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
These will put you over budget just by a Little

Polk Audio LSiM 707

Polks LSIM 707 @ $999.00 or Cantons SL596.2 @ $999.00 each which is the best bang for the buck. The Polk LSIM 705 @ $749.00 each seems to be the best bang for the buck. Can't say how Polks CS is now since Sound unlimited has taken over but CS after the sale should be Considered. I myself are Considering picking up a pair of the Polk LSiM 705's,

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis