Fosi Audio V3 HiFi Stereo Power Amplifier with TPA3255 Chip opinions?

• Thread starter CharlesJones166
  • Start date
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For real listening, rather than controlled testing, I am driving 2 Fosi V3's and 1 Aiyima A07, with a Denon AVR X3700H running in 5.1 channel preamplifier mode.
That's not an issue at all, and in that case I would expect you to leave the V3's volume know at maximum because you are using it as a power amp, the best scenario for most applications. My question is for @MrBoat as he seems a little concerned about turning the Fosi's volume to maximum.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
From TI's curves, it looks like the power output spec at 4 ohms, 1% THD and in stereo mode is 225 RMS watts per channel. This requires an 11 amp, 48 v power supply. Try the Fosi V3 or Aiyima A07 with a very high dissipation dummy load and you will see that kind of output. You will also need an oscilloscope, an audio signal generator and true RMS voltmeter.
It is not just about the chip used, but how it is implemented. Are you sure the V3 is implemented in differential input and BTL output configuration to achieve the 225 W you are alluding to, based on the curve?

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
What are you driving it with currently?
I have used a few things. One is the Aiyma Tube A3 Pro preamp, cell phone, Tascam CD player and an echo dot. I got it for a travel system to use with different bookshelf speakers I own. Actually, I bought the Fosi BT30D Pro for that purpose for the bluetooth but thought perhaps because they don't designate a 48V supply option, I was curious to see if the V3 would be noticeably more powerful with 48V.

I haven't had time (or the patience yet) to research source output voltages and whatnot.

About the 60W pioneer: It was only really viable for me using significantly more sensitive speakers so it was just enough. Still, I have known for 40 years or so now that 100wpc was my minimum which is why I rarely use the Pioneer anymore and that was my first amp back around 1976-ish. That's pretty much what the Fosi V3 reminds me of, power wise, being. . . 'almost' enough.

Thank you for chiming in. I had not really been able to research all my options yet so this reminds me to look into it further.

Last edited:
P

prerich

Audioholic Intern
He did tell you about how to do listening tests to check that you actually can hear a difference.
True...however, the supreme variable is different for every individual - the status of your own hearing health. How many of us have yearly audiograms? Has our hearing changed over the years? Do you have tinnitus or another hearing disorder. Measurements are good for telling us a product is not essentially broken. However, the hearing of each individual and their own particular hearing paradigm will be the indicators of sonic pleasure - even in lue of Toole and Olive's extensive double blind testing (in short saying that a majority of people tested like a particular sound of speakers, you still had a minority that preferred something that's not ideal). It's still in the hands of the listener.
I thought I'd never move away from my Infinity Preludes....well Whispers sit where the Preludes once stood. The Preludes measure better on paper, however - with EQ, I was able to get a flat response in my home (and the Whispers beat the Preludes in dynamics and measured distortion levels). I used to be an op-amp roller but now I've settled down. I still say to each his own. I have two dacs in system, a SMSL SU-9 and a Denafrips Ares II with the 12th firmware upgrade....which one gets the most play...the Denafrips in NOS mode. Why...when the SMSL measures miles ahead...personal preference (and yes I have hearing disorders - documented).

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
True...however, the supreme variable is different for every individual - the status of your own hearing health. How many of us have yearly audiograms? Has our hearing changed over the years? Do you have tinnitus or another hearing disorder. Measurements are good for telling us a product is not essentially broken. However, the hearing of each individual and their own particular hearing paradigm will be the indicators of sonic pleasure - even in lue of Toole and Olive's extensive double blind testing (in short saying that a majority of people tested like a particular sound of speakers, you still had a minority that preferred something that's not ideal). It's still in the hands of the listener.
I thought I'd never move away from my Infinity Preludes....well Whispers sit where the Preludes once stood. The Preludes measure better on paper, however - with EQ, I was able to get a flat response in my home (and the Whispers beat the Preludes in dynamics and measured distortion levels). I used to be an op-amp roller but now I've settled down. I still say to each his own. I have two dacs in system, a SMSL SU-9 and a Denafrips Ares II with the 12th firmware upgrade....which one gets the most play...the Denafrips in NOS mode. Why...when the SMSL measures miles ahead...personal preference (and yes I have hearing disorders - documented).
So, can he hear a difference when swapping OP amps, in a controlled listening test? No? Just the same old tired excuses as to why not test solid state electronics when the difference is like day and night.

P

prerich

Audioholic Intern
So, can he hear a difference when swapping OP amps, in a controlled listening test? No? Just the same old tired excuses as to why not test solid state electronics when the difference is like day and night.
It would be cool if we could have a controlled listening test with him. However, the decision would still be his. I love reading the results of test...but my personal paradigms will always come into play.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis