Fosi Audio V3 HiFi Stereo Power Amplifier with TPA3255 Chip opinions?

• Thread starter CharlesJones166
  • Start date
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I do purchase their BT20A pro before, just wondered what the difference between my bt20 pro is? Bass/treble control is missing? Curious what you all think about this
Now I've heard the lot! Changing chips as tone control. Will this nonsense ever end.

There is a mug born every minute, so I've been told.

I know what I think about it. Creating a simple amp for office use is one thing. Claiming to change the sound signature by changing chips is quite another.

Since you are new here, I should explain that we are not an audiophool site. They hate us, which is to us a badge of honor.

On this site we value facts and not opinions. Data and measurement rule. Nonsense is vigorously debunked.

If that is how you wish to participate you are most welcome, but we deal in hard facts.

We also do our very best to help those seeking advice for myriads of technical problems.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
There are at least 400 of these 100 dollar Chinese amps out there....just pick one.
Changing chips (besides being useless) make these things start to resemble Raspberry Pi's.
Ironic that I saw this earlier today....

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have a few of these type amps/boards. Not all in audio need be so serious. These amp boards now, certainly sound better than their portable counterparts of 30-40 years ago. I grew up in part, with a mono AM transistor radio with a white ear plug speaker that sounded awful but I could hear/visualize ball games with it, provided the 9v battery wasn't dead.

Budget audio, just a few decades ago, was comparatively disastrous to what is available now. This type of class D is actually closer to what the technology should cost by now, once you take out all the parasitic costs and hype that drives the prices up significantly otherwise.

These amps are novelties that can work quite well. They are affordable enough to tinker with or mod as one sees fit, and they cost less than a dinner for two.

This type of product doesn't have to be framed as a long term investment. I have multiple systems that are decent, and one really good one and I dig them all for some reason or another. There are no rules that stated I could only have one type of quality. I lump these into portables and Bluetooth amps category, with a sound quality that is if nothing else, amusing, or surprising enough to be worth what they cost.

I've been using the Fosi BT30D Pro for a few weeks now pretty much non-stop, on the side. It's a fun little amp with some 'just adequate' tone controls. The fact that I can plug a modest passive or active sub into it as well, and have what amounts to a potent little desktop setup, is just a blast.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have a few of these type amps/boards. Not all in audio need be so serious. These amp boards now, certainly sound better than their portable counterparts of 30-40 years ago. I grew up in part, with a mono AM transistor radio with a white ear plug speaker that sounded awful but I could hear/visualize ball games with it, provided the 9v battery wasn't dead.

Budget audio, just a few decades ago, was comparatively disastrous to what is available now. This type of class D is actually closer to what the technology should cost by now, once you take out all the parasitic costs and hype that drives the prices up significantly otherwise.

These amps are novelties that can work quite well. They are affordable enough to tinker with or mod as one sees fit, and they cost less than a dinner for two.

This type of product doesn't have to be framed as a long term investment. I have multiple systems that are decent, and one really good one and I dig them all for some reason or another. There are no rules that stated I could only have one type of quality. I lump these into portables and Bluetooth amps category, with a sound quality that is if nothing else, amusing, or surprising enough to be worth what they cost.

I've been using the Fosi BT30D Pro for a few weeks now pretty much non-stop, on the side. It's a fun little amp with some 'just adequate' tone controls. The fact that I can plug a modest passive or active sub into it as well, and have what amounts to a potent little desktop setup, is just a blast.
Its the changing chips that is the nonsense. It may be a good budget amp, but I vow changing chips will make no difference, except to blow one up, if a user does while not grounded and having a static charge on them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure what your use case for what is basically a power amp with gain adjustment is, but if it works for your purposes at the final price, could be useful.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Its the changing chips that is the nonsense. It may be a good budget amp, but I vow changing chips will make no difference, except to blow one up, if a user does while not grounded and having a static charge on them.
A lot of gearheads are modding these little circuits now. It's just another part to DIY audio these days. It's really no sillier than how many people are otherwise spending thousands of dollars on inaudible upgrades for no other reason than imagining themselves as the gifted few who can hear it.

Only reason I could imagine changing op amps on something like these boards is if they were inferior clones of genuine parts that were prone to failure, perhaps. Other than seeing it on some reviews of these parts, I never really paid it any mind.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Upon further (youtube "op amp upgrade" search) investigation, it appears that "rolling op amps" is a thing now. I had no idea. Mostly it seems to be changing from general purpose chip to audio specific discreet types. I could see where it would amuse some folks to tinker with these less expensive amps in such a way. Me personally, I would have a difficult time knowing what the sonic differences were, without an immediate switching comparison.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Upon further (youtube "op amp upgrade" search) investigation, it appears that "rolling op amps" is a thing now. I had no idea. Mostly it seems to be changing from general purpose chip to audio specific discreet types. I could see where it would amuse some folks to tinker with these less expensive amps in such a way. Me personally, I would have a difficult time knowing what the sonic differences were, without an immediate switching comparison.
That's what the online discussions of rolling op amps are for. You don't have to actually 'hear it' yourself, you can read what other self-appointed experts have to say.

If changing speaker cables work as tone controls for audiophiles (who religiously avoid receivers or pre-amps with tone controls), it surely must also work for op amp chips.

I'm going to wait until op amp chips containing oxygen-free copper are availble.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I took the TDA 3255 amp chip (among others) as the star of these amps and is why I gave it a shot. That and the lack of noise. As with everything else, it still ends up being about the speakers. I currently have the BT30D Pro hooked up to my Jeff Bagby designed "Continuum" speakers and a passive Peerless sub and it's a wonderful thing.

It never would occur to me to improve over what they already have by rolling anything unless the supplied parts were actually defective. The one I have has tone and subwoofer level controls so I doubt a different op amp would do much of anything.

P

Pound4PoundAudio

Audiophyte
Now I've heard the lot! Changing chips as tone control. Will this nonsense ever end.

There is a mug born every minute, so I've been told.

I know what I think about it. Creating a simple amp for office use is one thing. Claiming to change the sound signature by changing chips is quite another.

Since you are new here, I should explain that we are not an audiophool site. They hate us, which is to us a badge of honor.

On this site we value facts and not opinions. Data and measurement rule. Nonsense is vigorously debunked.

If that is how you wish to participate you are most welcome, but we deal in hard facts.

We also do our very best to help those seeking advice for myriads of technical problems.
Seems like you have a strong opinion that changing opamps doesn't impact sound.

I just joined here, but what makes you believe changing op amps has no impact on the the sound?

I have changed a few op amps and can clearly hear the difference. I don't think this is scientifically ridiculous and I don't think I'm a fool (could be be wrong about this one though :)

An op amp is a complex component or part. Different op amps have different designs. They have different manfactures. Different quality control. Different specs. They measure different. They have different tolerances, produce different amounts of noise, some may more accurately or less accurately amplify a signal.

I don't consider the copper used in a something simple as a cable to be comparable to a more complex electrical component.

If it's true that parts don't matter, then low budget, speakers with crappy components would sound that same as higher budget speakers with better quality components.

This is clearly not the case..So what am I missing? Can you help me understand?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I just joined here, but what makes you believe changing op amps has no impact on the the sound?

I have changed a few op amps and can clearly hear the difference. I don't think this is scientifically ridiculous and I don't think I'm a fool (could be be wrong about this one though :)

An op amp is a complex component or part. Different op amps have different designs. They have different manfactures. Different quality control. Different specs. They measure different. They have different tolerances, produce different amounts of noise, some may more accurately or less accurately amplify a signal.

I don't consider the copper used in a something simple as a cable to be comparable to a more complex electrical component.

If it's true that parts don't matter, then low budget, speakers with crappy components would sound that same as higher budget speakers with better quality components.

The point is that is a very clumsy and awkward way to change sound. An IC op amp should be totally neutral, and most are actually, even very inexpensive ones. Using chip changes as a haphazard equalizer, is about the daftest thing I have heard for a long time.

P

Pound4PoundAudio

Audiophyte
The point is that is a very clumsy and awkward way to change sound. An IC op amp should be totally neutral, and most are actually, even very inexpensive ones. Using chip changes as a haphazard equalizer, is about the daftest thing I have heard for a long time.
Yes, there's many ways to change sound, perhaps changing op amps is not the most elegant way.

Just because op amps should be neutral, doesn't mean they are. By this line of thinking all DACs, amps and speakers should be neutral...but they're not. This is why inter-component synergy matters and we have such a wide variety of choices. Each with their own architecture, design and trade-offs.

Also, there are many audio characteristics that you can not reproduce, even with an equalizer. I've yet to see an equalizer fix instrument separation, layering, expand or contract a soundstage in any direction or noise floor.

Different op amps possess different levels of these traits. Much easier and cost effective to replace a reasonably priced op amp to tune to your taste, than to buy a new amp, DAC or speaker. So I don't feel it's daft at all. We could do much worse.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The op amp thing is just giving people a way to mod things on their own. Just about every popular product these days has a modification faction that gets ahold of it eventually.

I could hear a difference with some youtube op amp video I watched but I am not so sure if the sound was noticeably better than it was just different.

It's about as nutty as what people go thru with phono cartridges, tonearms, platter materials/weights, vibration dampers and whatnot, and this, just to get music out of the grooves of a relatively crude plastic disc.

I get used to every mod I make to my system and the subtle change gets lost on me pretty much immediately, if the part was at least capable to start with.

The V3 is my last go at these so-called budget oriented products until they start getting a respectable 100wrms/channel/8Ohms. Otherwise, I'm going to be looking at the Purifi stuff and just saving up for it as needed. Buckeye Amps have some nice options, at a glance. Something in that performance class will likely be my next look.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes, there's many ways to change sound, perhaps changing op amps is not the most elegant way.

Just because op amps should be neutral, doesn't mean they are. By this line of thinking all DACs, amps and speakers should be neutral...but they're not. This is why inter-component synergy matters and we have such a wide variety of choices. Each with their own architecture, design and trade-offs.

Also, there are many audio characteristics that you can not reproduce, even with an equalizer. I've yet to see an equalizer fix instrument separation, layering, expand or contract a soundstage in any direction or noise floor.

Different op amps possess different levels of these traits. Much easier and cost effective to replace a reasonably priced op amp to tune to your taste, than to buy a new amp, DAC or speaker. So I don't feel it's daft at all. We could do much worse.
I haven't seen a chip do it either. This is all nonsense. There are good reasons why equalizers have limited usefulness. Synergy between components is absolute BS. There is so much audiophool BS around damn near causing an ink shortage and would have if it were not for electronic communication. It is on you to show me objective measurements of component synergy and not some self important guru waxing eloquent about layering. They come here asking daft questions about what would be a good match for x, would it be y or z. Nonsense the lot of it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

The opamp itself, in theory, is pretty much "ideal", but depending on how they are implemented (such as connected externally) in different applications, they could have slightly different characteristics among different ones. However, if the specs for the ones being compared approach the ideal characteristics, then they will have no impact on the "sound".. That's electrical science based, on objective lab measurements, not anyone's ears/brains, including yours (your subjective measurements only apply to you.., not necessarily to others).

True, but we are talking about humans, who simply don't have the ability to tell the difference in perceived "sound quality" due to the very small measurable differences between different high quality opamp ICs. Just compare the very popular TI opamp IC (used in the Fosi Audio V3 amp in the thread title) to the so call high end/even exotic ones specs and you won't find the reason for them making audible difference if used in audio preamp, dacs etc. Not a good example but I'll use it anyway, that is, think about the complexity of devices used in space exploration, yet different countries using different devices managed to land on intended target locations on Mars, that clearly requires extremely high accuracy of many devices used.

NE5532x, SA5532x Dual Low-Noise Operational Amplifiers datasheet (Rev. J)

No one said such a thing though. I have never seen anyone, let alone TLSGuy who knows a lot about speakers, claim that speakers with crappy components would sound the same as high budget speakers..... We are talking about operational amplifiers of quality that approaches that of the "ideal opamp", such as those used in the Fosi Audio V3 amp being discussed in this thread, the NE5532

I agree with everything you said, factually speaking. The only thing that I would say you might have missed, is that unless you compared opamps, dacs or even high quality amplifiers in tightly controlled double blind listening tests, what difference you heard wouldn't mean much, certainly not suitable for supporting an argument, or to establish that the devices compared actually made the "audible" difference. I have owned many preamp, power amp, dacs, swapped opamp chips (luckily only once on that...) before, and it took me a lot time to realize how silly I was in chasing such electronic devices for the sake of "better sound quality". If I had known better and sooner, I would have saved a lot of money and focussed a lot more on chasing contents that are of high recording/mastering quality.

Last edited:
P

Pound4PoundAudio

Audiophyte
I haven't seen a chip do it either. This is all nonsense. There are good reasons why equalizers have limited usefulness. Synergy between components is absolute BS. There is so much audiophool BS around damn near causing an ink shortage and would have if it were not for electronic communication. It is on you to show me objective measurements of component synergy and not some self important guru waxing eloquent about layering. They come here asking daft questions about what would be a good match for x, would it be y or z. Nonsense the lot of it.
I'm just trying to have a discussion and understand people's thoughts and opinions. If synergy between components is BS, please provide me some proof.

So all class D amps sound the same? Tube amps vs solid state is BS? It's just my imagination. I should have just stuck to listening to music through a clock radio because sounds the same as my $6000 amp?

So far no proof has been provided, just highly emotionally charged insults for those who don't share the same opinion. Maybe I made a mistake - this is all emotionally, charged toxic talk and not fruitful discussion.

P

Pound4PoundAudio

Audiophyte
The opamp itself, in theory, is pretty much "ideal", but depending on how they are implemented (such as connected externally) in different applications, they could have slightly different characteristics among different ones. However, if the specs for the ones being compared approach the ideal characteristics, then they will have no impact on the "sound".. That's electrical science based, on objective lab measurements, not anyone's ears/brains, including yours (your subjective measurements only apply to you.., not necessarily to others).

True, but we are talking about humans, who simply don't have the ability to tell the difference in perceived "sound quality" due to the very small measurable differences between different high quality opamp ICs. Just compare the very popular TI opamp IC (used in the Fosi Audio V3 amp in the thread title) to the so call high end/even exotic ones specs and you won't find the reason for them making audible difference if used in audio preamp, dacs etc. Not a good example but I'll use it anyway, that is, think about the complexity of devices used in space exploration, yet different countries using different devices managed to land on intended target locations on Mars, that clearly requires extremely high accuracy of many devices used.

NE5532x, SA5532x Dual Low-Noise Operational Amplifiers datasheet (Rev. J)

No one said such a thing though. I have never seen anyone, let alone TLSGuy who knows a lot about speakers, claim that speakers with crappy components would sound the same as high budget speakers..... We are talking about operational amplifiers of quality that approaches that of the "ideal opamp", such as those used in the Fosi Audio V3 amp being discussed in this thread, the NE5532

I agree with everything you said, factually speaking. The only thing that I would say you might have missed, is that unless you compared opamps, dacs or even high quality amplifiers in tightly controlled double blind listening tests, what difference you heard wouldn't mean much, certainly not suitable for supporting an argument, or to establish that the devices compared actually made the "audible" difference. I have owned many preamp, power amp, dacs, swapped opamp chips (luckily only once on that...) before, and it took me a lot time to realize how silly I was in chasing such electronic devices for the sake of "better sound quality". If I had known better and sooner, I would have saved a lot of money and focussed a lot more on chasing contents that are of high recording/mastering quality.
Peng, that's for sharing your thoughts.

Sounds like what you are saying is what differences that there may be would be negligible to the human ears when it comes to op amps.

I still disagree. The differences are not negligible from my own experience. It's not a double blind AB test, but I have a switch which switches between to two of the same device with two different op amps. I can tell a difference between them consistently. I guess I'm just a audio fool.

I'm all for science and measurements, but just but when it comes to audio, I'm not confident the existing testing methods are sufficient to fully describe/test for all the elements of what we are hearing. Just because we may not know yet how to accurately, objectively test for something like soundstage (maybe I just don't know), does not mean I do not hear it and it does not exist. That's just gaslighting.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds like what you are saying is what differences that there may be would be negligible to the human ears when it comes to op amps.

I still disagree. The differences are not negligible from my own experience. It's not a double blind AB test, but I have a switch which switches between to two of the same device with two different op amps. I can tell a difference between them consistently. I guess I'm just a audio fool.

I'm all for science and measurements, but just but when it comes to audio, I'm not confident the existing testing methods are sufficient to fully describe/test for all the elements of what we are hearing. Just because we may not know yet how to accurately, objectively test for something like soundstage (maybe I just don't know), does not mean I do not hear it and it does not exist. That's just gaslighting.
You can disagree all you like. However, unless you do a listening test under blind conditions, you will convince no one. Toole & Olive, as well as many others, have repeatedly shown that the results of audio gear listening tests are heavily skewed if the listener is aware of the identity of what items are being tested.

You must also include negative control tests of blind A-B comparisons, where the listener is presented with A-A or B-B comparisons, under blind conditions. How often do listeners believe they hear differences when in fact there were none?

Each listener must be tested when two identical items are compared. In theory, they should all answer “NO, they’re not different”. But you cannot assume people can always tell when test items are identical. You can think of a Negative Control as a measure how many “false positive” answers there are. You must measure the amount of these false positive answers that a listener reports. The false positive percentage for a listener must be subtracted from the percentage of YES or NO answers that a listener provides when there really were two different items being tested. If listeners have a low average false positive rate, you would be in good position to make useful conclusions about the comparison results. If that average false positive rate is high, 50% for example, you could only conclude that the reports of what listeners believed they heard were not reliable. No useful conclusions about the A-B listening comparisons could be made.

This isn't about dishonesty. It's that no one is infallible. You can think of the Negative Control as a measure of the background noise in the test. It won’t be zero. Measure it and find out what it is.

None of this should be a surprise, as the necessity of blind comparison tests has long been recognized in comparison tests involving taste, smell, or other types of human sensory perception.

The first principle of scientific inquiry is that you must not fool yourself – and that you are the easiest person to fool. – Richard Feynman, Nobel Prize winner in physics

Last edited:
P

Pound4PoundAudio

Audiophyte
You can disagree all you like. However, unless you do a listening test under blind conditions, you will convince no one. Toole & Olive, as well as many others, have repeatedly shown that the results of audio gear listening tests are heavily skewed if the listener is aware of the identity of what items are being tested.

You must also include negative control tests of A-B comparisons, where the listener is presented with A-A or B-B comparisons. How often do listeners believe they hear differences when in fact there were none?

Each listener must be tested when two identical items are compared. In theory, they should all answer “NO, they’re not different”. But you cannot assume people can always tell when test items are identical. You can think of a Negative Control as a measure how many “false positive” answers there are. You must measure the amount of these false positive answers that each listener reports. The false positive percentage for each listener must be subtracted from the percentage of YES or NO answers that listener provides when there really were two different items being tested. If all listeners have a low average false positive rate, you would be in good position to make useful conclusions about the cable comparison results. If that average false positive rate is high, 50% for example, you could only conclude that listeners could not reliably report what they heard. No useful conclusions about the listening comparisons could be made.

This isn't about dishonesty. It's that no one is infallible. You can think of the Negative Control as a measure of the background noise in the test. It won’t be zero. Measure it and find out what it is.

None of this should be a surprise, as the necessity of blind comparison tests has long been known in comparison tests involving taste, smell, or other types of human sensory perception.

The first principle of scientific inquiry is that you must not fool yourself – and that you are the easiest person to fool. – Richard Feynman, Nobel Prize winner in physics
Sword, appreciate the answer. Yes, I do disagree and you're welcome to disagree with me too. I have no motivation to try to convince anyone of any conclusion other than gather more information for myself. Prior to me playing with op amp swapping, I'd already read the opinions of those who say it makes no difference and those who said otherwise.

It's because of that, I bought several amps and many different op-amps to test it out for myself. I can distinctly tell differences in sound stage between op amps, I can distinctly tell differences clarity and other characteristics.

For low budget IC amps, yes, for the most part they are neutral, and hard to distinguish between one another. For that reason I would not bother. When you get into discrete op amps or different higher priced ones, you can distinguish between clarity in leading edges, sound stage characteristics as well as others. Some of those sound characteristics can be explained by FR charts, but not everything.

Whether you agree or not, if an end user perceives a difference, and that difference is worth the expense, then that's their prerogative. No one said that you have to agree or do the same. If you don't hear it, then it's not worth it. My mother could care less if she listened to a song on a crappy phone speaker, than through a high end system. Not worth it for her.

Regardless of what type of listening test you do, we're talking about perceivable differences from the human ear. In this way, it's never going to be perfect - so trying to "science it" is not very productive in my opinion.

We all have different hearing ability. It also matters how "trained" your ears are. I'm not saying you need golden ears, but someone who is not trained to look for certain attributes may not notice them.

Even if you show the same painting of a house to 2 different people who have 20-20 vision and ask them to describe what they see, you may get different responses. They both may say a house. The person who has trained to analyze artwork may tell you much more - like the the name of the artist, based on the color palette used, or the style of brush strokes, etc. A noob would not make any of those inferences even though they are looking at the same image unless they were taught to do so.

Again, I don't care to convince anyone here, this if for my own peace of mind. Thus far I have not heard any convincing, logical, scientific arguments for what I am hearing - other than I am audio fool and this opamp swapping is BS. Very dismissive.

It's a complete logical fallacy to say if YOU can't measure it, then it's just subjective and it does not exist. It could mean (but not necessarily) that you just haven't discovered the right testing method to measure that characteristic. It could mean that existing testing methods are incomplete.

Think 3 blind men and an elephant.

I've yet to see a spec sheet of an op-amp show a "measurement" of a sound stage, but from my personal experience and it seems many others, they can discern a difference between the soundstages of op amps, clearly and consistently.

Are we all just fools? Or is it just easier to name call when we can't explain what does not fit into our own cognitive bias limit of knowledge.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis