Florida Audioholics Get Together

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Im totally blown away right now after going through those pictures, OMG:):)!!!. You guys were truly in audio/video heaven. Can we get names to match those faces:D. BTW, props to MajorLoser and all in attendance!!!
The names were changed to protect the innocent. There should be some nice opinons on the new Emotiva full range floorstanders:D as well as the other gear there.

M

mojomike

Enthusiast
A big thanks goes out to Dave and Yvette for making all feel welcome in their home. Also, a big thanks to the Audioholics and Emotiva folks for their hard work and to all who brought gear. The equipment was terrific and the folks were even better.

All should keep an eye open to the yet-to-be released Emotiva line of amps and speakers. The amps in particular look and sound great and will offer incredible bang-for-the buck. It's amazing how much value can be had if you look for it. For example, the pair of X-ls Encores from AV123 asserted themselves extremely well against speakers costing 5 to 10 times more than them. I think they surprised almost everyone. For me it was a treat to finally hear the Strata Minis. They are as good as most have said and are about the easiest to listen to pair of speakers I've heard.

All in all, I believe a great time was had by all. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
majorloser

majorloser

so, how many % do we discount their listening results due to the green fairy? :D

I am happy to say that the Green Fairy never left her cage once yesterday. :)
We were very well behaved (for once). There was actually a concerted effort to do serious listening and comparisons.

Today starts the arduous task of repacking everything, cleaning up and moving the furniture back into the rooms. I promised the wife that we would return to normal after this. There was only one casualty of the event, one of my wifes ceramic figurines on a shelf fell to her death off of a high shelf. Suicide was ruled out. :eek:

I'm going to be a little busy today and next week, but I promise to write something up about this weekend and post what few pics I have. Unfortunately I was a little busy so I didn't take many picture. But I see that others have already posted pictures which are ten times better than will ever come from me.

Before I go, the wife and I want to take this opportunity to thank everybody who came yesterday. We truly felt honored that you guys traveled to make this event in the bad weather.

Gene DellaSala and his family made a special trip to help out. His vast experience with critical listening and equipment review paid off tremendously. A lot of what happened yesterday was thanks to Gene's participation and guidance.

But I really want to thank the individuals that took the time to pack up their personal gear and bring it for all of our enjoyment. The event would not have been a success without your help. You guys really made my weekend. This is probably the only time some gear of that level will ever make it into my home. I am truly in awe that you would even consider travelling with some of that high end gear.

Of course we would have never had an event without the generous support and contributions from Emotiva. These guys loaded up their van last Thursday and drove all the way down from Tennesee to setup on Friday night. Today (Sunday) they are packing up for the long drive back. The equipment list of what they brought is quite extensive but the pictures you've seen so far tell a far better tale than I can write. Most of the gear we auditioned was prototype or pre-sales models. This was stuff that won't be on the market till later this year. I would request that all that showed up please feel free to send Emotiva a brief "Thank You" e-mail or note on their forum:
http://emotivalounge.proboards54.com/index.cgi
From the wife and I, THANK YOU DANN, NICK AND LONNIE!!!!

Lastly, I want to thank Jvgillow for all of his hard work and for extensive collection of equipment and speakers he brought. He also was tasked throughout the event with setup and calibration.
In other words...he worked his tail off for the past three days. Thank you, you're a life saver! :)

And most important of all.............

I thank my lovely wife for allowing a stupid guy like me to attempt something like this in her home :)

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rll

Audiophyte
Fla GTG

This being my first GTG I thank Dave and Yvette for opening their home
and being such gracious hosts. The food, drink and music was great.
It took a lot of planning and hard work for this event to happen.

Being new to quality A/V I appreciated Emotiva's, Audioholics's
and other member's who brought their gear. Also the discussions
gave me a education on what to look for in quality speakers and amps.

Three great sounding amps from Emotiva, as well as numerous speakers.

I'm sure everyone had a great time. :)

ricocetj

ricocetj

Junior Audioholic
First, I'd like to extend a very heartfelt THANK YOU to Dave and Yvette for hosting a great get together yesterday, they did a phenomenal job! People like Dave and Yvette are a huge reason why this is such a great hobby.

Thanks too to Emotiva and jvgillow for bringing so much gear. It was really a treat to see/hear some new products not yet available for sale.

Some highlights:

There were quite a few people listening to the 7.1 and 2.0 Emotiva setups in the living room/dining room areas when I got there, so I headed for the dedicated HT. Dave has done a great job with this room and definitely has quite the collection of toys! I was very excited to hear the two MFW-15's and so I pretty much hung out in there until the MFW's were set up. In the meantime, we listened to some various concerts Dave had saved on his DVR over HD-Net. Dave's Canton setup with dual VTF-3HO's sounded great. I could hang out there all day!

The MFW's were then hooked up and we ran though numerous demo scenes including the U-571 depth charge scene, various scenes from Transformers, and the Darla tapping scene from Finding Nemo. During the Transformers demo scenes I was really impressed with the speed and accuracy of the MFW's, they integrated well with the other speakers and I ended up just enjoying the movie more than thinking about the subwoofers. During the Darla tapping scene, you could really feel the power and depth these guys are capable of. They easily filled the room with that deep pounding bass we all know and love from that scene. It was cool to see the size comparison between the MFW's and the VTF-3HO's as well. They were pretty similar in size, definitely both very LARGE subwoofers.

When I emerged from the dedicated HT, the guys were setting up the x-sls classics and x-ls encores with the new Emotiva gear for an A/B comparison. I sat down to listen to this for a while and it was amazing the difference between the classic and encore x-series speakers. Switching to the encores from the classics really opened up the sound stage. The highs had a new level of detail and airiness. We switched onto the upcoming UPA-2 amp from Emotiva and the pairing was fantastic. The x-ls encores really sounded smooth and well balanced. Needless to say, I was extremely impressed the sound we were getting for the price you can pick up this gear for!

Next, we set up an A/B comparison in the front living room and began with the Status Acoustic Decimos and SVS MBS-01's. We got out the SPL meter and level matched the two sets of speakers and sat down to listen. Right from the beginning, something seemed a bit off. Gene sat down and immediately recognized that the level matching was inaccurate and said the SVS's were about 2 db hot. So, we finally got the house quieted down and restarted the level matching process. How far off were we? 2 db hot on the SVS's. :eek: Gene should be known as the human SPL meter from now on. I suggested we save time in level matching the speakers from that point forward by simply letting Gene do it by ear, but he passed on that idea. Oh well.

Let me preface the comments below to point out that these are my opinions only, and that we were listening in an environment that while enlightening and fun, was not ideal for truly evaluating two sets of speakers in comparison to each other. So then, for the listening impressions after getting the speakers level matched:

Decimos and MBS-01's - Right off the bat, I was really impressed with the detail and balance of the Decimos. These are quite pricey for a set of bookshelf speakers, and I was expecting a lot for the price. They didn't disappoint. These things were throwing a nice big sound stage and really able to resolve the finest details in the music. The midrange was strong and smooth, and the bass was tight and detailed. Very nice set of speakers. The MBS-01's were definitely able to reach lower in the frequency range, and were presenting some nicely detailed highs. In the midrange, I felt like the Decimos really shined in this comparison. When switching from the Decimos, the SVS's sounded a bit constricted and veiled in the midrange by comparison. This was most evident during a trumpet solo on the song we were listening to, and when listening to the female singer's voice. After listening, someone mentioned that SVS is actually sending new crossovers to everyone who bought these speakers, and we were unsure whether the samples we were listening to had the new crossover or not. Our guess was that the set we were listening to had not been updated with the new crossover. In the end I preferred the Decimos, but keep in mind this was hardly a fair comparison between a set of speakers that sells for around $1000 and a set that sells for $2800.

Decimos and AV123 x-ls encores - After being so impressed by the x-ls encore's when hearing them paired with the new Emotiva gear, I was really looking forward to this comparison. It was immediately apparent that these are two speakers with different design goals. The Decimos were more forward, while the encores were more laid back. Gene mentioned that the x-ls classics that he did an earlier review on bottomed out frequently at volume during bass intensive passages, but the encores we had on hand did not exhibit any of this behavior. I found them to be nicely balanced from top to bottom and they were delivering a very nice and detailed bottom end, especially during a drum solo passage. Between the two speakers, the Decimos were presenting a larger sound stage and had more high end detail, but the encores held up very well in the comparison. In fact, I prefer a more laid back sound, and actually found myself wanting to turn the volume down on the decimos toward the end of the song, but I didn't feel that way with the encores. In a different room, I would likely feel differently, but in comparison to the encores, the Decimos had a little too much energy on the top end for me after listening for a while. The x-ls's were not fatiguing at all, and the word that came to mind during the comparison was that the encores were very smooth and easy to listen to. When you consider that Decimos cost nearly 10x as much as the encores, it is truly impressive how well the x-ls encores performed.

Decimos and Emotiva ERM-1's - The ERM-1's are designed with yet another goal in mind. They are sealed and contain two 5.25" woofers, and are designed to integrate with a sub woofer. The ERM-1's roll off quickly after 80hz, so we had to focus on comparing the sound above that frequency while listening to these two sets of speakers together. I was very impressed with how well the ERM's performed here, and they really excelled in the area of midbass punch with their dual woofers. I thought they had a little more energy in the highs than the Decimos, but were able to present details very well, which will be beneficial in the arena where I think these speakers would really shine, which is in a home theater setting. I also felt like the Decimos had a wider sound stage with better separation of the instruments, but if you pair the MBS's with a sub woofer (or preferably two) you would have a very nice package. To me, the most impressive thing about the ERM-1's was that they were designed with maximum flexibility in placement in mind, which should allow them to be integrated into just about any environment.

That was it for the bookshelf comparison, but I did stick around long enough to hear the av123 Strata Minis and Martin Logan Mosaics side by side. We weren't able to level match the two sets of speakers, and the higher sensitivity of the Martin Logans made a true comparison impossible. However, my impression was that the ML's were more energetic in the highs, while the Minis were just a smoother sounding speaker. Both of these speakers were really putting out some beautiful sound and it would be great to do a true comparison of the two.

And that, folks, is it for what I was able to hear yesterday. There was a ton of great stuff and lots of great people to hang out and talk audio with.

Thanks again Dave and Yvette!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
After listening, someone mentioned that SVS is actually sending new crossovers to everyone who bought these speakers, and we were unsure whether the samples we were listening to had the new crossover or not. Our guess was that the set we were listening to had not been updated with the new crossover. In the end I preferred the Decimos, but keep in mind this was hardly a fair comparison between a set of speakers that sells for around $1000 and a set that sells for $2800.
The SVS MBS-01's at the GTG do not have the new crossover.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I also want to send out a special thanks to Yvette and Dave for opening up their home and providing us with more food and drinks than even I could handle, and believe me, I like to eat!

It was great learning about the different backgrounds each person had that came to this event. It makes me proud to realize just how well attuned some of our forum readers are.

I have to say I think I was more impressed with Dave's movie memorabilia than any of the audio equipment. My daughter certainly wouldn't stop talking about those light sabers. Though I was tempted to walk out with his Captain Kirk communicator device :D

This whole experience actually inspired me to write a couple of articles that I will start collecting my thoughts on shortly after I re-energize from the 400+ mile road trip I just took this weekend!

Next, we set up an A/B comparison in the front living room and began with the Status Acoustic Decimos and SVS MBS-01's. We got out the SPL meter and level matched the two sets of speakers and sat down to listen. Right from the beginning, something seemed a bit off. Gene sat down and immediately recognized that the level matching was inaccurate and said the SVS's were about 2 db hot. So, we finally got the house quieted down and restarted the level matching process. How far off were we? 2 db hot on the SVS's. Gene should be known as the human SPL meter from now on. I suggested we save time in level matching the speakers from that point forward by simply letting Gene do it by ear, but he passed on that idea. Oh well.

Let me preface the comments below to point out that these are my opinions only, and that we were listening in an environment that while enlightening and fun, was not ideal for truly evaluating two sets of speakers in comparison to each other. So then, for the listening impressions after getting the speakers level matched:

Decimos and MBS-01's - Right off the bat, I was really impressed with the detail and balance of the Decimos. These are quite pricey for a set of bookshelf speakers, and I was expecting a lot for the price. They didn't disappoint. These things were throwing a nice big sound stage and really able to resolve the finest details in the music. The midrange was strong and smooth, and the bass was tight and detailed. Very nice set of speakers. The MBS-01's were definitely able to reach lower in the frequency range, and were presenting some nicely detailed highs. In the midrange, I felt like the Decimos really shined in this comparison. When switching from the Decimos, the SVS's sounded a bit constricted and veiled in the midrange by comparison. This was most evident during a trumpet solo on the song we were listening to, and when listening to the female singer's voice. After listening, someone mentioned that SVS is actually sending new crossovers to everyone who bought these speakers, and we were unsure whether the samples we were listening to had the new crossover or not. Our guess was that the set we were listening to had not been updated with the new crossover. In the end I preferred the Decimos, but keep in mind this was hardly a fair comparison between a set of speakers that sells for around $1000 and a set that sells for $2800.

Decimos and AV123 x-ls encores - After being so impressed by the x-ls encore's when hearing them paired with the new Emotiva gear, I was really looking forward to this comparison. It was immediately apparent that these are two speakers with different design goals. The Decimos were more forward, while the encores were more laid back. Gene mentioned that the x-ls classics that he did an earlier review on bottomed out frequently at volume during bass intensive passages, but the encores we had on hand did not exhibit any of this behavior. I found them to be nicely balanced from top to bottom and they were delivering a very nice and detailed bottom end, especially during a drum solo passage. Between the two speakers, the Decimos were presenting a larger sound stage and had more high end detail, but the encores held up very well in the comparison. In fact, I prefer a more laid back sound, and actually found myself wanting to turn the volume down on the decimos toward the end of the song, but I didn't feel that way with the encores. In a different room, I would likely feel differently, but in comparison to the encores, the Decimos had a little too much energy on the top end for me after listening for a while. The x-ls's were not fatiguing at all, and the word that came to mind during the comparison was that the encores were very smooth and easy to listen to. When you consider that Decimos cost nearly 10x as much as the encores, it is truly impressive how well the x-ls encores performed.

Decimos and Emotiva ERM-1's - The ERM-1's are designed with yet another goal in mind. They are sealed and contain two 5.25" woofers, and are designed to integrate with a sub woofer. The ERM-1's roll off quickly after 80hz, so we had to focus on comparing the sound above that frequency while listening to these two sets of speakers together. I was very impressed with how well the ERM's performed here, and they really excelled in the area of midbass punch with their dual woofers. I thought they had a little more energy in the highs than the Decimos, but were able to present details very well, which will be beneficial in the arena where I think these speakers would really shine, which is in a home theater setting. I also felt like the Decimos had a wider sound stage with better separation of the instruments, but if you pair the MBS's with a sub woofer (or preferably two) you would have a very nice package. To me, the most impressive thing about the ERM-1's was that they were designed with maximum flexibility in placement in mind, which should allow them to be integrated into just about any environment.

That was it for the bookshelf comparison, but I did stick around long enough to hear the av123 Strata Minis and Martin Logan Mosaics side by side. We weren't able to level match the two sets of speakers, and the higher sensitivity of the Martin Logans made a true comparison impossible. However, my impression was that the ML's were more energetic in the highs, while the Minis were just a smoother sounding speaker. Both of these speakers were really putting out some beautiful sound and it would be great to do a true comparison of the two.

And that, folks, is it for what I was able to hear yesterday. There was a ton of great stuff and lots of great people to hang out and talk audio with.
Excellent write up, though only 1 point of correction. The Emo speakers we were listening two had dual 6 1/2" woofers and are a new model soon to be released.

Also as for the woofer bottoming test, we didn't really play any bass intenstive music like we did in our face off comparison. Also my test room is acoustically controlled and larger so we likely were driving the speakers a lot harder. That being said, the AV123s at Dave's house definately sounded better and had more control over the samples that I had during our comparison. I may need to get AV123 to send me an upgraded pair like these for further testing :)

It was enlightening that this portion of the face off was done with music I am very familiar with and using one of my own reference speakers as comparision - the Decimos. What was obvious to me in this comparison was that the room that the tests were being conducted in was quite lively (open space, high ceilings, tile floors, etc) and as a result it tended to mask the subtle differences one would typically hear when carefully comparing two sets of speakers. What it didn't mask however was the tonality of each speaker which is the first thing one listens for when evaluating loudspeakers.

At the end of the day we learned that if you're dealing with a non ideal listening space - which most people tend to be, unless they build their own dedicated theater, than the law of diminishing returns happens much quicker than it does in a controlled listening space.

Perhaps a good exercise would be to conduct a speaker face off in a bad room and good room and see how peoples experiences change in discerning just how much better the best speaker is than the rest in the comparison. Hmm this sounds like another project to undertake. :rolleyes:

dann g.

dann g.

Enthusiast
Thanks

Thanks to everyone who came out to Majorloser's GTG. It was great fun, and I enjoyed talking to everyone.

Much thanks to our most gracious hosts...you guys are the best. A good time with good friends.

Just got in...we decided to go all the way in one shot...whoooooooooo. I am wiped out and wide awake...ha.

Sandwiches all week, huh?

Look forward to seeing you soon.
:cool:

ricocetj

ricocetj

Junior Audioholic
Excellent write up, though only 1 point of correction. The Emo speakers we were listening two had dual 6 1/2" woofers and are a new model soon to be released.
Thanks Gene. Come to think of it, I do seem to remember you saying something about liking the bookshelves better than the floorstanders due to the larger 6.5" woofers. :eek:

At the end of the day we learned that if you're dealing with a non ideal listening space - which most people tend to be, unless they build their own dedicated theater, than the law of diminishing returns happens much quicker than it does in a controlled listening space.

Perhaps a good exercise would be to conduct a speaker face off in a bad room and good room and see how peoples experiences change in discerning just how much better the best speaker is than the rest in the comparison. Hmm this sounds like another project to undertake. :rolleyes:
This is an excellent point, and it really shows how important it is to consider the room when making a decision on speakers. A comparison using the same speakers in a treated vs. non treated room would be a fun excercise, and could definitely shed some light on the amount of benefit you get from investing in room treatments.

dann g.

dann g.

Enthusiast
Thanks Gene. Come to think of it, I do seem to remember you saying something about liking the bookshelves better than the floorstanders due to the larger 6.5" woofers. :eek:

The floorstanders have two 8" woofers in a sealed chamber, and above that, two 5.25" woofers.
http://emotivalounge.proboards54.com/index.cgi?board=speakers&action=display&thread=1856

The ERM-1's (smaller bookshelf) have two 5.25" woofers, and the ERM 6.2's (larger bookshelf) have two 6.5" woofers.

The large center channel has two 6.5" woofers, and two 4"'s. This speaker works great as a left or right as well.
http://emotivalounge.proboards54.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=speakers&thread=1857&page=1

:cool:

Last edited:
B

bmf795

Audioholic Intern
My thanks go out to everyone at the GTG.

To Dave and Yvette, you were very gracious and made me feel very comfortable during my stay. I had never met you but that didn't matter to you. A beautiful home and couple.

To Gene, thanks for making the trip. You are a classy individual with alot of skill. Thanks for the registration to the SOTH meeting. I just hope I can attend.

To Dann, thanks for making the trip from TN. You really made the gtg go with all the equipment that brought and showed off. Your amps are very handsome and you gave great insight into what goes on behind the scenes of an a/v company. I promise to never put my ears up to my speakers and then complain about hiss. :)

To Jeremy, You were crazy for bringing so much equipment but thanks. Being a Rocket owner(850,200,300) I was anxious to hear the x-series and mini's. I feel the x-ls stole the show in regards to bang for the buck. Too bad I missed hearing the mini's with the Krell amps.

Everyone attending were very courteous and were free to share their thoughts. I learned alot and had fun.

To everyone that couldn't attend, try to go next time, you won't be disappointed.

majorloser

majorloser

Thanks.

We made really good time, too. Now...if I could just get to sleep...
Dann,

The wife and I were glad to get your text message that you made it to ATL with no problems and were going the distance. I can't say how much of an honor and privlege it was to have both Nick and yourself drive all the way down for my little meet.

As usual, the equipment that Emotiva has developed is par excellence. They are an outstanding value that can fit well with almost any listening room design goal. I truly believe the new speaker designs are some of the finest engineering work I've seen. I won't repeat on this forum what I said when I first saw the pictures of the internal crossover, but Lonnie took it for the complement I was trying to convey in my usual uncouth manner :eek:
But it is a true work of art. I would guess that the Emotiva design goal for the speaker appearance was to be understated yet refined. Once the lights dim in your theater the matte black finish and black anodized aluminum baffles allow the speakers to total disappear from view.

On Sunday I did take the Decimos and the ERM-1's back into my theater to play around some more. I regret not coping Gene's reference disks since he left them at my house overnight, but such is life. I heard that one track he played for the comparisons so many times on so many speakers it was burned into my memory.

But today is Monday and back to the ugly reality that is my REAL job. Not only did I get called Saturday during the GTG with problems, but I got called into work this morning at 1:00 am with a major disaster that I am still dealing with. So I've had about 4 hours of sleep in the past four days. :mad:

So here I sit at my work computer a little punch drunk trying to catch my breath by catching up with you guys. I'm really relieved that everybody had a good time and if for but a few hours got a chance to get away from the problems in your lives to spend some time with what I would like to consider "friends".

Your truly,

Dave

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Nice review ricocetj. Well thought out. I really enjoyed meeting all that attended.

engtaz

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis