R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Can anyone recommend some good/inexpensive flat speaker wire to run underneath carpet?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Try the River Cable Flexygy. They measure well, have great terminations, aren't too overpriced. Best of all you get a 10% audioholics discount by using the code: AH504FX

There are cheaper alternatives from Ram Electronics but I haven't tested them yet.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/flatwire.html

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
What type of connectors would you need for the flat cable?

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the great reply. Has anyone tried this flat speaker wire from radio shack?

F

FlatWire Fan

flat speaker wire from DeCorp

I would try, as suggested above, the FlatWire offered from DeCorp.

www.decorp.com/dewire.htm

I installed a 7.1 system this week using their FLT 12 and it sounds awesome, looks great. Make sure to buy the connectors. They come with templates and instructions that are easy to follow.

You can buy them from DeCorp's webstore and they ship using UPS.

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
rack04 said:
Can anyone recommend some good/inexpensive flat speaker wire to run underneath carpet?

If you're the DIY type and the run isn't too long, you could use 50 conductor ribbon cable and alternate each strand +/-.

-Bruce :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
FLZapped said:
If you're the DIY type and the run isn't too long, you could use 50 conductor ribbon cable and alternate each strand +/-.

-Bruce :)

Look who has arrived :D
Maybe you will get an official welcome as I did but then my reputation preceded my arrival, LOL :D :D :D

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Look who has arrived :D
Maybe you will get an official welcome as I did but then my reputation preceded my arrival, LOL :D :D :D

HHAHAHAHHAHA, I don't know whether that is good or bad ;)

Anyway, I was over at Digikey and noticed they carry an 80 conductor ribbon cable, ~$150 FOR 100 feet. It's 30 AWG, so 40 and 40 each in parallel will work out to 16 AWG equivalent. Oddly enough, the 50 conductor 28 AWG, when paralleled at 25 and 25 works out to somewhere in between 14 and 15 AWG.....

-Bruce :eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
FLZapped said:
HHAHAHAHHAHA, I don't know whether that is good or bad ;)

Anyway, I was over at Digikey and noticed they carry an 80 conductor ribbon cable, ~$150 FOR 100 feet. It's 30 AWG, so 40 and 40 each in parallel will work out to 16 AWG equivalent. Oddly enough, the 50 conductor 28 AWG, when paralleled at 25 and 25 works out to somewhere in between 14 and 15 AWG.....

-Bruce :eek:
And their capacitance will be? Very high? :rolleyes:

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
And their capacitance will be? Very high? :rolleyes:

Yep. More than a normal two conductor pair. Inductance will be lower though.

Lay down your money and take your choice.

Guess people with Naim amps should avoid such a design. :p

-Bruce

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis