First Time post - Seeking help to match speakers with my Marantz 4230

G

Good Sounds

Audiophyte
Hello, I purchased my 4230 in 1974 from Lafayette Radio in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I think I spent more than a months wages on this baby.
Anyway, I'm reviving my vintage system. I had ithe 4230 restored and now setting it up in the house. I would rather purchase new speakers that can best utilized by this receiver. Here are the specs:
  • Power output: 30W/ch (stereo), 12W/ch into 4Ω (quadraphonic)
  • Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
  • Total harmonic distortion: 0.9%
  • Damping factor: 20
  • Input sensitivity: 2.2mV (MM), 150mV (line)
  • Dimensions: 17 21/64 x 5 25/64 x 14 3/8 inches (440 x 137 x 365 mm)
  • Weight: 31.3 lbs (14.2 kg)
My old Quad tapes are long gone so I'll be happy to play 2-channel and two speakers will be plenty for now.
In addition to radio, I do enjoy my LPs such as Beatles, Stones, Grateful Dead, CSN, and several classical selections too.

I found a few speakers such as Klipsch, Polk etc. but I'm not sure what models would be a good match.
Any help would be appreciated.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hello, I purchased my 4230 in 1974 from Lafayette Radio in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I think I spent more than a months wages on this baby.
Anyway, I'm reviving my vintage system. I had ithe 4230 restored and now setting it up in the house. I would rather purchase new speakers that can best utilized by this receiver. Here are the specs:
  • Power output: 30W/ch (stereo), 12W/ch into 4Ω (quadraphonic)
  • Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
  • Total harmonic distortion: 0.9%
  • Damping factor: 20
  • Input sensitivity: 2.2mV (MM), 150mV (line)
  • Dimensions: 17 21/64 x 5 25/64 x 14 3/8 inches (440 x 137 x 365 mm)
  • Weight: 31.3 lbs (14.2 kg)
My old Quad tapes are long gone so I'll be happy to play 2-channel and two speakers will be plenty for now.
In addition to radio, I do enjoy my LPs such as Beatles, Stones, Grateful Dead, CSN, and several classical selections too.

I found a few speakers such as Klipsch, Polk etc. but I'm not sure what models would be a good match.
Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to AH.

You have to look for rather sensitive speakers because of the limited power amps. A sensitivity of 95 dB or more would be ideal. That limits you in the available choice for new speakers with a reasonable budget.

What is your planned budget for those speakers? At what distance will you be sitting from the speakers? Size of your listening room?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I guess you already are familiar with hifiengine.com :)

I'd look for fairly sensitive speakers since that receiver doesn't have a lot of amp power, something in the high 80s/low 90s should work well enough. Klipsch speakers are fairly sensitive, but they spec they use is a bit different from the norm so I'd knock it down by 4-5dB from what they state to bring it in line with most others' practices. JBL might be a thought, too....something like the Studio 590 or 698 perhaps.

If you're on FB you might like to check out this quad group https://www.facebook.com/groups/405946026422420

G

Good Sounds

Audiophyte
Welcome to AH.

You have to look for rather sensitive speakers because of the limited power amps. A sensitivity of 95 dB or more would be ideal. That limits you in the available choice for new speakers with a reasonable budget.

What is your planned budget for those speakers? At what distance will you be sitting from the speakers? Size of your listening room?
The room is approx 15' X 14'. Depending on which wall I place the system and if I place speakers in the corners, I'll be about 16' feet away from each speaker.
I'm trying to keep my expenditure under $400.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
How about these Klipsch passive speakers?

Klipsch published a sensitivity of 92 dB for those speakers. Traditionally, they have over rated their sensitivity values. I strongly think they rather have a sensitivity of 87-88 dB. That is far from being sensitive enough taking account of your planned listening distance from them. IMO, you definitely need speakers with a real sensitivity of at least 95 dB.

G

Good Sounds

Audiophyte
Well, do you know of more than one model that has that kind of sensitivity?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If you can fix your seating so that you will not sit 16 ft back ... And if you do not plan to be listening at head banging levels ... Then test out the Klipsch speakers, buy from a place that has an easy return policy

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis