First time Plasma buyer here...need info on calibration/initial setup concerns.

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
Hi folks. So I just ordered the Samsung 58" PN58B550 which I should get sometime next week. I wanted to do some further research on the setup and such before I get it. I have done a little reading and have a couple concerns being that this is my first plasma TV.

I've been reading that you have to "baby" it for the first 200-300 hours by lowering contrast levels and such. I'm not sure what the parameters for this are but I'd like to know to make sure I take care of it correctly right out of the box.

Secondly I'm reading that this TV has a lot of calibration options and that these need to be setup correctly. I'm a novice to most of this stuff especially calibration which I have never done. I read the calibration information from here (http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.c...libration.html) but I cant' imagine that one group of settings will just be best for everyone or am I wrong?

Need help with this stuff. Much appreciated!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Hi folks. So I just ordered the Samsung 58" PN58B550 which I should get sometime next week. I wanted to do some further research on the setup and such before I get it. I have done a little reading and have a couple concerns being that this is my first plasma TV.

I've been reading that you have to "baby" it for the first 200-300 hours by lowering contrast levels and such. I'm not sure what the parameters for this are but I'd like to know to make sure I take care of it correctly right out of the box.

Secondly I'm reading that this TV has a lot of calibration options and that these need to be setup correctly. I'm a novice to most of this stuff especially calibration which I have never done. I read the calibration information from here (http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.c...libration.html) but I cant' imagine that one group of settings will just be best for everyone or am I wrong?

Need help with this stuff. Much appreciated!
You dont want to run your display in any of the torch modes that have elevated contrast to allow the phosphors to break in evenly. You can run a break in disc like this for 100 hrs (you can leave it on as it will loop while your away)

As for calibrations, each display is different, as well as room conditions. I recommend calibration of two picture modes or two inputs for day and night viewing. Here and here are good places to start reading about calibration. There are DIY discs for calibration or you can pay an ISF certified calibrator to do it for you with the best equipment, costs usually start in the $300 range.

Last edited:
E

erock9174

Audioholic Intern
wow this is a timely thread. I too got a PN58B550 this week.
I read somewhere that the Planet Earth blue ray disk serves well as a good break-in disk because of the all the great colors it has.
Can anyone confirm this would be a good way to break in the tv ?

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
I read somewhere that the Planet Earth blue ray disk serves well as a good break-in disk because of the all the great colors it has.
Well super. How do you like it? Probably won't have mine until next week. I'd be interested in hearing what you do to break it in and anything you have noticed that I should be aware of.

Does it buzz? Read about this a bit.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Whay not download the disks I referenced as they are intended for break in;) solid color patterns looping. You can watch planet earth 90 times:rolleyes::D

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
You dont want to run your display in any of the torch modes that have elevated contrast to allow the phosphors to break in evenly. You can run a break in disc like this for 100 hrs (you can leave it on as it will loop while your away)

As for calibrations, each display is different, as well as room conditions. I recommend calibration of two picture modes or two inputs for day and night viewing. Here and here are good places to start reading about calibration. There are DIY discs for calibration or you can pay an ISF certified calibrator to do it for you with the best equipment, costs usually start in the $300 range.
Thanks for the extended response. I have download the disc you first linked to and will read up on the other stuff you linked to. Quick question. Is it okay to leave it on for 100 hours straight through? Thanks again.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I'd be interested in hearing what you do to break it in and anything you have noticed that I should be aware of.
Just search these forums and ask questions you will get plenty of good advice. As for the break in I already linked it for you szzzh.

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
This stuff is great but from the looks of it, seems I have to spend money on equipment. I was envisioning some patterns on the screen that I could change the settings to. Anyone have anything like that available somewhere? Thanks.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Thanks for the extended response. I have download the disc you first linked to and will read up on the other stuff you linked to. Quick question. Is it okay to leave it on for 100 hours straight through? Thanks again.
yes its ok, and you can watch programming in between if you want. Turn it on before you go to work, come and watch some TV turn it on when you sleep, repeat and have a beer:)

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
Just search these forums and ask questions you will get plenty of good advice. As for the break in I already linked it for you szzzh.
Right I got this. Is it okay to run it for 100 hours straight?

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
Bandphan,

Couple final follow ups...

You wrote "You dont want to run your display in any of the torch modes that have elevated contrast to allow the phosphors to break in evenly. You can run a break in disc like this for 100 hrs (you can leave it on as it will loop while your away)"

What is a torch mode? How low should I keep it during these 100 hours of break in?

Are there any other settings like Brightness I need to worry about during this break in period? Thanks.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Bandphan,

Couple final follow ups...

You wrote "You dont want to run your display in any of the torch modes that have elevated contrast to allow the phosphors to break in evenly. You can run a break in disc like this for 100 hrs (you can leave it on as it will loop while your away)"

What is a torch mode? How low should I keep it during these 100 hours of break in?

Are there any other settings like Brightness I need to worry about during this break in period? Thanks.
Torch mode is any setting that runs full or close to full brightness and contrast. It is ok to run the break in disc in torch mode and is really better to do so. The break in disc with loop solid color images that fill the screen. It is ok to run high contrast and brightness during this as their is 1 solid image on the screen. If you view TV in between, just switch the mode to "movie or cinema" while doing so.

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
Torch mode is any setting that runs full or close to full brightness and contrast. It is ok to run the break in disc in torch mode and is really better to do so. The break in disc with loop solid color images that fill the screen. It is ok to run high contrast and brightness during this as their is 1 solid image on the screen. If you view TV in between, just switch the mode to "movie or cinema" while doing so.
Gotcha. So I don't have to run it less than 50%? I think someone else (hopefully not you!) mentioned that.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have a coupple of plasmas.

I just turned them on and watched them (after turning off the torch).

Don't worry too much about it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis