Firearms discussion - hardware only, no politics

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Hey guys, how bout a friendly gun discussion ... that means no politics please. Just keep it about the hardware, or questions on what to buy, reloading advice, etc.

I've been a pretty hardcore shooter for 20 years, but really got into it both as a hobby and some small time competition about 3 years ago. I noticed every gun and all ammo just kept going up in value, and investments were pretty much a crap shoot, so I said why not invest in guns and ammo! Worked well so far. I also put together a great reloading setup, and bought enough gunsmithing tools to keep my stuff running smooth.

I enjoy Bullseye competitions and Hi-power Rifle competition. I've got pretty good with my Fusion 10mm longslide in Bullseye, and the PTR-91 .308 in hi-power. But I haven't done a competitive shoot in probably 6 months, just a lot of silhouette shooting at the 650+ yard range and handgunning out to 50 yards.

To get the ball rolling how about shots of a recent impulse buy, this gorgeous pair of Sig's. Left is P220 Platinum Elite 45ACP, right is P229 Platinum Elite in 9mm. All ammo is my reloads. 2nd picture is my competition PTR-91 in a custom Duracoat camo job I did ... Swamp Thing is it's nickname.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, Ryan. Very nice pics. While you wait for more responses here, you might like to check out this thread from last year. I remember enjoying it.

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Hey, Ryan. Very nice pics. While you wait for more responses here, you might like to check out this thread from last year. I remember enjoying it.
Thanks man, I could post plenty more pics ... but don't like broadcasting too much on the net just what all I have. I'll trickle in a few pics here and there ;)

I actually just got done reading that thread before posting this one. I searched and found it, wanted to make sure it was ok to talk guns here before starting a discussion.

The one gaping hole in my collection is a .308 bolt gun. So just today I ordered a FN Patrol XP from CDNN for $599. That's a smokin deal, all reports say they're great shooters and well built. Pic of the Patrol XP

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I acquired a .308 bolt action rifle a few years ago. I've never shot it.

itschris

itschris

I used to be pretty involved in ISPC shooting. Now I just have some handguns no competitive purposes. I have a couple of carry guns, and SA XD .40 and my favorite - a custom built Colt 1911 that Bob Cogan built for me. I have big hands, so he build me a 1911 with a full sized frame, but used in Officers slide. We compensated it and it's overall legnth is still shorter than the standard 1911. Just about every part on it is custom. It's a great gun.

I have been thinking about getting an assualt rifle before Obama gets entrenched in his role. I do think he will push to have a lot of gun rights taken away. I"m not getting political, but just stating more of my motivation. I've been looking at both Bushmaster and DPMS AR's. I want to find a good base gun that I can add all the aftermarket stuff to. Since i'm planning on quite a few aftermarket add-ons like sights and weapon lights, I'm looking for a good value in the rifle itself. Any thoughts on DPMS? I know there's a lot of snobbery out there, so I'm looking for honest opinions.

Matt34

Matt34

Chris, I have a Bushmaster AR-15 can't go wrong with them. No first hand experience with a DMPS.

Ryan,

I've actually just started looking for a PTR-91 atm. All the usually "assualt" rifle prices have gone up in price but I from my quick browsing so far I should be able to pick up a PTR at a reasonable price. I've been on the lookout for a Mini-14 but they have gone up in price locally. There is one with a composite stock for $900 here.:rolleyes:

I've got a Mossberg 500 tactical with breacher barrel and my carry piece is a Kimber Ultra Carry II.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Guns are bad... you should dispose of them, they kill people.

:p j/k

Don't have any pics to post at the moment, since I'm at work... but I do have some nice stuff, and I prefer my glocks for daily carry.

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
DPMS is good stuff ... in fact, I can't think of anybody putting out bad AR stuff these days. It's such a proven and tested platform, pretty much everything out there works well for private use. Of course if you're going to be dragging it through the mud and putting thousands of rounds a month through it, you'd want to narrow your choices.

You'd love a PTR Matt, I also have a DSA FAL and would say they're every bit as good and worth considering also. I think right now the PTR is the better buy because you can get mags so cheap. CDNN has PTR's on sale right now btw, $965 with the tactical forearm.

If you're thinking about getting an AR before they're banned, but don't necessarily want to spend the cash for one right now, just buy a stripped lower. That's the only serialed part, and with just it you'd be able to build a complete gun even during a ban period. They're around $100 btw, I have about 15 stripped lowers in the basement :)

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Don't have any pics to post at the moment, since I'm at work... but I do have some nice stuff, and I prefer my glocks for daily carry.
My winter carry gun is a Glock 29. There's just something really comforting about having a 10mm on your hip, gives you a pretty high level of confidence that you'll have enough gun for any situation.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I used to have a Glock 30, but it was stolen along with a 12 ga. Mossberg, and my AR15. I replaced the glock 30 with a Beretta 92 Brigadier INOX, and replaced the stolen AR with a Rock River Arms Entry Tactical and added a EoTech on a LaRue Tactical quick detach mount, with an A.R.M.S #40 flip up rear sight.

But my main carry gun is a Glock 26, and sometimes a glock 19 or my glock 17, or one of my other pistols.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
If you want a preview of what new Federal legislation may look like, go to the California DOJ web site. Evil black rifles need not apply. Handhelds are limited to what passes safety tests.

Speaking of increasing prices, I got involed in CAS (cowboy action shooting) a few years ago and most of the replica type firearms were of Italian manufacture. The Euro at the time was about one to one to the dollar. My wife lost interest in the sport so I traded in her ensemble when the Euro was about $1.60. In trade (to a B&M dealer) I got more credit than my original purchase price on several pieces......and though well cared for, they still had several thousand rounds down the pipes. I probably could have gotten a higher price through a private sale, but here in the PRK that's a real pain as you still have to go through a dealer....waiting periods....DOJ paperwork, etc.

I assemble and reload all my own supplies (38 thru 308) on a Dillon 550B that's served me well going on twenty years. Also a member of a private club/range that's about ten minutes from my doorstep. Makes it easy to test product before going into mass production;)

Mort

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Can't you have the black rifle in CA, but that it can't have a pistol grip and max 10rd mag? The gun club that I'm a member of does Cowboy shooting meets too. Those guys are a trip, the wives even dress up in their big puffy 1800's Western dresses, haha. It's usually quite the spectacle.

I have a pair of Dillon 550's also. Excellent machines that have been rock solid for me as well!

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
We just got supressors passed here in MO, so of course I want to show my support for the new legislation :D This is what I'm looking at, not a picture of my gun, just what I'm looking at getting. Sig P226 Combat with threaded barrel. Because honestly what scares me most about having to use a gun for self-defense would be firing at night with no hearing protection, in an enclosed space. One shot and you'd be deaf and blind, this would fix that.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Can't you have the black rifle in CA, but that it can't have a pistol grip and max 10rd mag?
I can't recall all the nuances, but no pistol grip, bayonet lug (like anybody has been stabbed with one recently), flash surpressor and a ten round magazine is maximum for any firearm (except lever rifles...go figure). Basically, a mini-14 or M1A is the choice. If you own higher capacity magazines, they were grandfathered in....howsomeever....you cannot loan, buy, sell or transfer one in the state (some dealer stuff the exception) They keep trying to ban lead bullets but haven't quite got there....yet.

CAS is a hoot.....expensive, but good laughs and fast action. I made the mistake of adding up my wifes and my gear one time and came up with a little over $13K (clothes, hardware and accessories) I can compete in my local ranges combat style matches for a whooooooole lot less. The only drawback is that the combat shooters tend to take themselves a little too seriously in comparison.....it's still fun.

Mort

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I've been shooting since I was six. All the guns are with my dad right now since I didn't feel like dragging them to my apartment.

Nothing special though I have a rebuilt Chinese air rifle (who knows what it is) that my dads friend gave me when I was 10. Huge POS when he gave it to me so I took a couple months and cleaned it up. Shoots pretty well now. Along side that I have an IZH-Baikal air pistol with a scope that I used to shoot in silhouette tournaments with. It was always weird there were no tournaments for kids where we lived so I shot with everyone. I was 13 the next youngest guy was 30 I managed to piss some people off ;). Never bothered buying a powder gun because the range for those was 2 hours away, but I could shoot Olympic grade pellet guns (my dads) in the garage or backyard without issue. When we did go to the range we went with my dad's friend who had a few Beretta shotguns and a nice assault rifle, a tricked out A1.

Now I happen to live across the street from a range...Makes me want to get a nice handgun. I am just too busy spending money elsewhere :(.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

DPMS is good stuff ... in fact, I can't think of anybody putting out bad AR stuff these days. It's such a proven and tested platform, pretty much everything out there works well for private use. Of course if you're going to be dragging it through the mud and putting thousands of rounds a month through it, you'd want to narrow your choices.

You'd love a PTR Matt, I also have a DSA FAL and would say they're every bit as good and worth considering also. I think right now the PTR is the better buy because you can get mags so cheap. CDNN has PTR's on sale right now btw, $965 with the tactical forearm.

If you're thinking about getting an AR before they're banned, but don't necessarily want to spend the cash for one right now, just buy a stripped lower. That's the only serialed part, and with just it you'd be able to build a complete gun even during a ban period. They're around $100 btw, I have about 15 stripped lowers in the basement :)
FAL is on my short list of guns I will own one day. When I do I'm going all out on one. One of the best rifles every as far as I'm concerned.

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
CAS is a hoot.....expensive, but good laughs and fast action. I made the mistake of adding up my wifes and my gear one time and came up with a little over $13K (clothes, hardware and accessories) I can compete in my local ranges combat style matches for a whooooooole lot less. The only drawback is that the combat shooters tend to take themselves a little too seriously in comparison.....it's still fun.
The Cowboy shoots I've been to are a HUGE deal. It's the combination of social event for the women, and shooting for the men ... so they really get into it. They even have Bluegrass bands and do square dancing after! I just like to watch for some laughs, but some of those guys that compete are really skilled! It is a pretty good show, seems fun but I don't think I could bring myself to dress up like that, haha!

You should post pics of yourself in your getup :)

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
You should post pics of yourself in your getup :)
Which one? :D Old Mort was a man of many disguises. It depended on the arms being used. S&W Scofields, Colt SAA, 44 Russians, Colt Open Tops, Colt 1860 Army's and Ruger Vaqueros each has/had their own getup (and leather with appropriate type of rifle and scattergun).

Best picture was one taken by a guy at one ot the meets with an old Mathew Brady type camera that did a tin type of my wife and me that you would swear is 150 years old......just can't figure out how to post it;)

Every once in a while I like to take my 1880 original Springfield Trapdoor rifle up to the range with some home rolled 45-70 black powder rounds. Gets the attention (and lungs) of the AR guys on the line. By the time the smoke clears I can see the target again.:)

Mort

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
Desert Eagle with .50AE and .44 Magnum barrels. - Click thumbnail for larger version

Vanity shots - Click thumbnails for larger version

Muzzle Flash

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
I used to be pretty involved in ISPC shooting. Now I just have some handguns no competitive purposes. I have a couple of carry guns, and SA XD .40 and my favorite - a custom built Colt 1911 that Bob Cogan built for me. I have big hands, so he build me a 1911 with a full sized frame, but used in Officers slide. We compensated it and it's overall legnth is still shorter than the standard 1911. Just about every part on it is custom. It's a great gun.

I have been thinking about getting an assualt rifle before Obama gets entrenched in his role. I do think he will push to have a lot of gun rights taken away. I"m not getting political, but just stating more of my motivation. I've been looking at both Bushmaster and DPMS AR's. I want to find a good base gun that I can add all the aftermarket stuff to. Since i'm planning on quite a few aftermarket add-ons like sights and weapon lights, I'm looking for a good value in the rifle itself. Any thoughts on DPMS? I know there's a lot of snobbery out there, so I'm looking for honest opinions.
Chris, I have a Bushmaster AR-15 can't go wrong with them. No first hand experience with a DMPS.

Ryan,

I've actually just started looking for a PTR-91 atm. All the usually "assualt" rifle prices have gone up in price but I from my quick browsing so far I should be able to pick up a PTR at a reasonable price. I've been on the lookout for a Mini-14 but they have gone up in price locally. There is one with a composite stock for $900 here.:rolleyes:

I've got a Mossberg 500 tactical with breacher barrel and my carry piece is a Kimber Ultra Carry II.
+2 on the Bushmaster. I love mine. I want to get the gas piston conversion kit for it. You cant go wrong with Bushmaster.

If you want to get a reliable gun with cheap ammo, the AK-47 would be a good choice. There are alot of aftermarket parts available to sporterize the AK-47. The AK-47 is regarded as the best weapon made. Im going to get 1 or 2 when i have the funds. You can get 2 for the price of a moderately equiped AR-15.

Peace,
Tommy

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis