Fiber internet versus Cable broadband.

Cable broadband better than Fiber?

• Fiber internet smokes Cable broadband?

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Fiber internet is the future?

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Cable broadband will die a slow death like Hardline phones did

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mom worked at IBM, so our computers were always IBM.

I use an Arris modem and Asus wifi router. I have owned my modem and router for about 10 years now. The cost of "renting" one goes towards upgrading it every couple of years.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Mom worked at IBM, so our computers were always IBM.

I use an Arris modem and Asus wifi router.
Umm okay, just rub it in will ya..
IBM wrote the book on computers right? Then them two dude's got sued by IBM for stealing. Who's that Microsoft dude? Bill Gates? Gonna give all his money away before he dies. I read somewheres. I'm on one of his list of people to give to, haven't heard yet been 10 years now still waiting to hear back.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IBM wrote the book on computers right? Then them two dude's got sued by IBM for stealing. Who's that Microsoft dude? Bill Gates? Gonna give all his money away before he dies. I read somewheres. I'm on one of his list of people to give to, haven't heard yet been 10 years now still waiting to hear back.
I am not sure that back in the days of the 286 and 386 that made a massive difference. It maybe seemed like it then, but looking back, those things were ridiculously slow. My tablet has more processing power and RAM lol. Yes, they were reliable, but they ran the same software as everyone else.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I can’t speak for your reality but here with bell the router comes with wireless wifi 6. On the wired side it comes with 5 x1gbps & 1x10gbps. I use the latter one to feed my switch but most people are happy with that kind of speed on wifi. Off course you have to have the device to benefit from it but its available.
For the nut job like me with HTPC and SAS drive with a fiber switch, everything is wired and I’m just glad that the technology is available! What you are saying is true, not everybody would benefit, you do have the proper devices or its completely useless.
Using the ISP's router or other hardware isn't mandatory and a lot of people bought into the whole "Apple is the BESTEST in the WERLD!" BS hook, line & sinker. Others think that a $30 router will do exactly what they need, but don't know the details.

highfigh

highfigh

IIRC, it was 1959 when the head of IBM asked "Why in the world would anyone want a computer in their home?".

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would like fiber but it’s not available in my area yet. I did have the comcast cable re-run to the telephone pole recently to achieve the somewhat faster speeds. My other option, Lumen DSL would be insanely slower. LOL. :)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Using the ISP's router or other hardware isn't mandatory and a lot of people bought into the whole "Apple is the BESTEST in the WERLD!" BS hook, line & sinker. Others think that a $30 router will do exactly what they need, but don't know the details.
Yeah, I was going to buy my own cable router/modem till I did some research on what I would need to replace what I rent from Cox. It would take me about 2 years of use to catch up the rental of the Cox cable router/modem. Plus may not last very long they can burn out. Anything happens to the Cox router/modem they'll mail me one or I just drop into the local Cox store exchange immediately. 8.99 a month for the rental of one. Price is factored into the 75 I pay total.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
What a coincidence my first computer was a Tandy also. It wasn't hookup to DSL or cable. I had just built my 1st home back in 89. We had a Hardline but AT&T didn't offer DSL they kept telling me it was coming but it never happened. Cable got to us first by 96. By that time Tandy desktop was long gone.
Still have my Commodore 64 and My Compaq 8088 Suitcase PC with a 286 CPU card and 10MB yes MB hard card drive.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

AT&T is laying down Fiber cable throughout the city of where I live! Yes!! So how many of you AH guys have fiber internet service? How many have Cable broadband? I have Cox cable broadband, the tier I have with Cox is 250 download which I never have gotten that at most 90 to 100 max! Plus only 1.280 gb use total. If I go over Cox would bill me 10 bucks more pre 50 gb over the 1.280 I'm allotted. I pay $74.38 monthly. My oldest Son lives in another City and Parish, his has AT&T fiber internet. When I go visit him, sometimes I'll bug off of his internet service my cellphone internet usage is phenomenally fast! What's you AH guys thoughts on the advantages between the two?
Does Cox have fiber at all in your city and on some main streets? Comcast placed fiber on the main street and some main off streets but not to homes. I get 800 down and do clock that frequently. Then by chance discovered that with VPN on, speed drops drastically.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

This day and age with the family, kids and us both on video conferencing with stupid 4K hdr cameras…You need the upload capabilities…You might not see it but others will see it immediately…The question I get the most on Teams: Why do I see you so clearly compare to others on the call? Well that’s Fibe magic!
I would think it is that camera as well, no?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Does Cox have fiber at all in your city and on some main streets? Comcast placed fiber on the main street and some main off streets but not to homes. I get 800 down and do clock that frequently. Then by chance discovered that with VPN on, speed drops drastically.
Umm I believe not, Cox has had a monopoly here for over 40 + years. I use to use a VPN for my cellphone not anymore since it was reported that most VPN was a scam. Believe that was reported on national news unless it was just about one particular VPN.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

And I remember the days of dial up when you couldn't use the phone at the same time!
Is that all you remember? ;) :D

I remember no internet, very heavy CRT TVs of useless sizes. And maybe further back?:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Umm I believe not, Cox has had a monopoly here for over 40 + years. I use to use a VPN for my cellphone not anymore since it was reported that most VPN was a scam. Believe that was reported on national news unless it was just about one particular VPN.
It certainly slows down my Internet speed a bunch.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Anyone has a Tivo DVR? I understand it doesn't work with AT&T fiber.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis