Favorite Cover Songs and Why?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Tickets are available for their show here but it is Gen Admission $360 for 2 and it is about 1hr away. I am seriously thinking about it. I've seen them twice and both were epic shows.
NIN knows how to put on a great live show, that's for sure. Their concert blu ray Beside You in Time is well worth it if you don't have it.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I think I know what you're talking about.

NIN is unique enough that covering some songs like Hurt (I like it, not as much, but I'm a Cash fan) work when you do it almost exactly the same way. Covering songs and doing them the way the original was done to where it sounds the same is cool, but boring. That's all we'd really get from NIN covers. At least I think.
There's an album "Absence of Faith" which is a tribute album to NIN consisting of covers from various groups. FWIW: I have it. Never listen to it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I had that cover of Dead Souls as my ringtone for years: "They keep calling me.... keep on CALLING ME!"
That's awesome! Ha ha!

I used to have the beginning of Jambi as mine but stopped using it. It was ruining the song for me!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
On the radio while I was out today lol. Video quality terrible, but audio is good. RIP Eddy.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Dwight Yokum - Wichita Lineman
Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
Richie Havens - Here Comes The Sun
You guys are beating me to them. Hendrix All Along the Watchtower would be at the top of my list.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't say this is a favorite, but this version of When The Levee Breaks by John Paul Jones is interesting. Also, I didn't realize that the Led Zeppelin version was a cover of the song by Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy, which was about a historical event, the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927. There are links to the Memphis Minnie/Kansas Joe McCoy and Led Zeppelin versions at the rollingstone.com link below.

One cover I've always liked is Five Finger Death Punch -Bad Company:

And Welcome to the Machine by Shadows Fall:

And Born to be Wild by Hinder:

Off topic, but I find myself wondering sometimes if I'm the only guy on the planet who still likes rock and roll, attractive women, and fast cars (yeah, the Hinder video triggered that thought).

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Forgot this one. Love Bowie but for me Kurt does a better job...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Forgot this one. Love Bowie but for me Kurt does a better job...

There's quite a few covers from that session, but that is the best one IMO. I also liked Lake of Fire, Plateau and Oh Me.

Can't forget this one

And of course

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Loving this thread!

Ben Folds (with Rufus Wainright) performing Careless Whisper:

The The (Matt Johnson) performing There's A Tear In My Beer:

Cowboy Junkies performing Walking After Midnight:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you think Beautiful People's If 60's Were 90's qualifies? Are those covers or more on the remix side?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Love this one

And this one on her Companion SACD is one of my speaker test tracks. Incredible recording.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Thought I would slip back into the 70's with some vintage Clapton. Love Bob Marley's version too as both sing about misapplication of "Justice"...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thought I would slip back into the 70's with some vintage Clapton. Love Bob Marley's version too as both sing about misapplication of "Justice"...

Clapton did some good ones… willie and the hand jive comes to mind, too.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
A great song is a powerful tool and can be interpreted many different and entertaining ways. Cover songs can be equally powerful, meaningful, and a creative tool for a performer. While you might not own the songwriting, what if you are running low in the creative department and need an avenue to explore your musical prowess. We discuss the implications of the cover song and Why investors love owning the rights to various recording artists?

View attachment 54803

Read: Wall Street Loves Music Publishing & the Cover Song

What are your favorite cover songs and did the artist make it their own?
Keeping this thread moving

Gin and Juice - The Gourds
30 Days In The Hole - Government Mule

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

Is probably one of my all time favorite covers, ever. I really like most of Disturbed's covers (Land of Confusion, Shout, etc.) and Type O Negative has had some great covers (Cinnamon Girl, Summer Breeze, Day Tripper)) over the years as well .
The Sound of Silence cover by Disturbed is also one of my favorites. The first time I heard it on air in my car it sounded so much different I wondered if something was wrong with my car stereo, so played it again right after that from itunes on my phone and it sounded much better. As far as I can tell, the broadcast version had a ridiculous amount of dynamic compression, which really ruined this song.

My car stereo does indeed s*ck, but the dynamic compression still managed to make it 10x worse even on that system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis