Erin's Audio Corner (my new review YouTube channel/website)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I had been quoted, upon asking an acquaintance in the biz, whom is known for using such drivers, that they are under $100 ea. (Raal 64-10)
Wow! maybe the volume of sales has skyrocketed!
I'm pretty sure it was Dave Fabricant who gets credit for putting a bug in RAAL's ear about a small one without the ability to disassemble/repair and it does make sense that an inexpensive RAAL would sell like hot-cakes!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! maybe the volume of sales has skyrocketed!
I'm pretty sure it was Dave Fabricant who gets credit for putting a bug in RAAL's ear about a small one without the ability to disassemble/repair and it does make sense that an inexpensive RAAL would sell like hot-cakes!
to be clear, the 64-10 is OEM and not available directly to the hobbyist. As best I can tell, the 64-10 at Meniscus is only available as part of the BMR kit, not individually.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
to be clear, the 64-10 is OEM and not available directly to the hobbyist. As best I can tell, the 64-10 at Meniscus is only available as part of the BMR kit, not individually.
I don't know what other manufacturers might use it, We have Ascend as probably the largest in the US, and BMR sales have probably been growing (but obviously not Chinese import levels)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Suffice it to say, as I understand, Dave F was extremely instrumental in the development of the 64-10. I know he has/had his own version of it compared to the general market OEM 64-10. As far as where I might have possibly got my hands on a pair...
*whistles aimlessly, walks away ;)

For most usage in a reasonable speaker, I would love to see the 64-10 made more widely available. It is truly a ladder, in the sense that Marijuana was supposed to lead to heroin! ;) Unlike that analogy... the 64-10 is definitely a gateway to $500 tweeters! Consider the 70-10 and 70-20, and any of the worthwhile Be Tweets (Satori and the old Transducer Lab products.) :D
Ya, I got it bad. I've got two TL Be Tweets and hope I can find another 1 or 3 of them! *fingers crossed

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, that's why I keep asking/pressing on this - my impression, via reading through the lines on some posts from DaveF and DennisM, is that the 64-10 tweeter is well under $200/each, and maybe closer to $100 each now.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Some of you guys may know my roots are in car audio. And I got started testing years back by testing car audio products. I don't know if any of you here are interested in this kind of stuff but I thought I'd share my two recent car audio woofer reviews.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
When I decided to start testing again early this year my intent was to provide data through my website and use my YouTube page to provide a wrap-up of the reviews and explain the data. I didn’t know how it was going to pan out but I was hopeful it would work. So far, people seem to be quite receptive of this method.

Since most comments I get are in relation to the video reviews, I’m working hard to get my YouTube channel off the ground and gain more visibility in that outlet. There’s been a pretty steep learning curve but I have really been happy with the progress thus far and I am continuing to learn what works and what needs improvement not only in the videos but the subject matter as well.

My hope is that the channel will be a resource for consumers so they understand what they are getting and understand the importance of objective data and how it correlates with subjective listening impressions. Aside from that, however, I want it to be a means of accountability in the community. There are many YouTube “reviewers” who prey on their viewership by providing disingenuous reviews to make a few bucks off Amazon affiliate links or getting free gear in return for a positive review. There are manufacturers who have the means to provide us with specifications so we can make an informed purchase decision but they don’t do that. I want to use my platform to educate the consumer that we can and should expect more from reviewers and manufacturers. Unfortunately, I’m just a little fish in a big pond right now and I can’t achieve these goals without your help.

So, if there is a video I've created that you think your friends might be interested in, please take the time to share it to your social media page, forums, etc. Or you can share the link to my channel below: https://www.youtube.com/c/erinsaudiocorner

And let me be clear… as far as monetization goes, I am 2400 hours away from generating ad-based revenue. And, for that matter, I believe YT only pays 2 cents per view. So, there are no hopes or crazy dreams of me making this thing a means of income. I mean, enough views might buy me lunch now and again but that’s about it. This isn’t about money. I have a good paying day job that I enjoy. This is about passion. My love for audio. My love for understanding how it works. And my passion for educating us all (myself included; always learning) so we can be better informed. That said, if Mcintosh ever offers to send me an amplifier to test out you guys will never hear from me again because I will pack up the amp, my family, dog and swim trunks and fly straight to a coastal country that does not extradite to the US. :D

Thanks again for your support.

- Erin

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I got a pair of the Revel F226Be speakers for review in today. I made a quick unboxing video. Which isn't typical of me. But, this was too cool not to share.

Not sure when the review will be done. But stay tuned.

Edit: I decided to take the unboxing video down and make new one. I couldn't edit the old one properly via YouTube and I didn't want to spread incorrect information with my comments about SB Acoustics "possibly" making the drive units for Revel. I'll re-post another hopefully this afternoon.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I got a pair of the Revel F226Be speakers for review in today. I made a quick unboxing video. Which isn't typical of me. But, this was too cool not to share.

Not sure when the review will be done. But stay tuned.

Nice! We are reviewing the same speaker model simultaneously. It will be interesting to compare our findings when our reviews are published.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
When I look at the Revel F226Be it's size and drivers remind me of another speaker:

F226Be vs Sierra Tower.png

Revel F226Be
1” Beryllium Dome Tweeter
5.25” Midrange
6.5” Woofer
Sensitivity 90
8 ohms
44Hz - 40kHz
41.30" High
9.80" Wide
13.7" Deep
58 pounds

Sierra Tower RAAL 70-20
1" RAAL 70-20xr Tweeter with AM Core Transformer
5.25" Midrange
5.25" Woofer
Sensitivity 89
4 ohms
41Hz - 28kHz
43" High
7.5" Wide
10.5" Deep
44 pounds

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
When I look at the Revel F226Be it's size and drivers remind me of another speaker:

View attachment 39936

Revel F226Be
1” Beryllium Dome Tweeter
5.25” Midrange
6.5” Woofer
Sensitivity 90
8 ohms
44Hz - 40kHz
41.30" High
9.80" Wide
13.7" Deep
58 pounds

Sierra Tower RAAL 70-20
1" RAAL 70-20xr Tweeter with AM Core Transformer
5.25" Midrange
5.25" Woofer
Sensitivity 89
4 ohms
41Hz - 28kHz
43" High
7.5" Wide
10.5" Deep
44 pounds
Those aren't really that much alike. There are a lot of tower speakers with a more similar spec set to the F226Be speakers than the Ascend towers.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Those aren't really that much alike. There are a lot of tower speakers with a more similar spec set to the F226Be speakers than the Ascend towers.
At less than 42" tall the F226Be seems on the short side for a $7,000 speaker. What speaker would you compare it to? Thanks!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
At less than 42" tall the F226Be seems on the short side for a $7,000 speaker. What speaker would you compare it to? Thanks!
How does height equate to cost, build quality, sound quality?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There are a lot of competitors here. Dynaudio, Focal, Elac, KEF, Dali, PSB, and many others have speakers in a similar class and pricing. Some others I would consider in this range are the Deftech Demand D17 and the Atlantic Technology 8600eLR or JBL HDI-3800. Also the Polk L800. So many good choices, hard to buy a bad speaker among these.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I took delivery of the incredible Dutch & Dutch 8C today to review. For those not familiar with these speakers, I encourage you to check out the website, because these are not your everyday bookshelf type speaker. Also, Napier Lopez reviewed these for The Next Web here.

Tyner Strub, President of D&D USA hand delivered these (he was kind of passing through my area) and helped me get them set up and walked me through some of the integration with REW for room correction purposes. I've got other fish to fry before I can start measuring these so I'll be doing a couple weeks' of listening. But I wanted to share because I'm excited.

Oh, and Happy Halloween, everyone!!!!

DSC06839.JPG
DSC06840.JPG
DSC06841.JPG
DSC06852.JPG
DSC06856.JPG
DSC06867.JPG
DSC06873.JPG

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I took delivery of the incredible Dutch & Dutch 8C today to review. For those not familiar with these speakers, I encourage you to check out the website, because these are not your everyday bookshelf type speaker. Also, Napier Lopez reviewed these for The Next Web here.
Wow... here's a quote:
"... and +/-0.5dB frequency response from 35Hz upwards, music can now be experienced exactly as it was intended."

This bookshelf speaker has a weight of 26KG which translates into 57.32 pounds each. Is that correct? That's the heaviest bookshelf I have seen. It will be interesting to see how they sound? Looks like they retail for about $5900 USD each for the 8C?
You can buy a lot of speaker for that price.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow... here's a quote:
"... and +/-0.5dB frequency response from 35Hz upwards, music can now be experienced exactly as it was intended."

This bookshelf speaker has a weight of 26KG which translates into 57.32 pounds each. Is that correct? That's the heaviest bookshelf I have seen. It will be interesting to see how they sound? Looks like they retail for about $5900 USD each for the 8C?
You can buy a lot of speaker for that price.

The 8C is one of the most accurate loudspeakers that you can buy at any price (Stereophile measurements, Soundstage measurements). Its directivity control is perhaps the best I have ever seen measured. One cool thing it is doing is using phase cancellation to control directivity down to extremely low frequencies, much more than any other speaker its size. Most speakers use cone size to control directivity at lower frequencies, but that necessarily makes them pretty large. The 8C uses ingenuity, and one thing that will help with is room modes since the bass isn't bouncing off of every surface.

One absurd claim from their literature is that it supposedly makes music sound "as it was intended." The problem with that is that most music was likely mixed on audio systems less accurate than the 8Cs. So it isn't likely sounding like whatever the sound engineers mixing for. In reality, most sound engineers mix for a wide range of systems, and there isn't a single 'intended' sound. That is just another audiophile myth.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis