EQ Settings on Denon 4400 and narrowing down subs

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Good morning. I'm going to print a cheat sheet or something, still don't understand a lot of the terminology.

Can anyone explain what EQ settings are exactly and how they should be set? It has a long row of numbers that can be set positive or negative, and I honestly don't have a clue what any of them mean.

Also, regarding the subs, I've decided on ported for my HT (got one of those abbreviations down at least, ha) and gaming needs plus you can just plug the ports for music if you should so choose. No brainer. If just based on price, I'd go dual HSU 15s and be done. I'm all about saving money and getting the most bang for my buck, too, as I have A LOT to add onto the system and found out, as of a few days, my wife is expecting, so this is my window to make it happen. So here's my thoughts and strictly from a layperson here:

-Back to that single SVS PB-Ultra 16. I have a great spot for it, and it'd kick major ass, no doubt. However, the one I was going to buy at 1,999 sold, so I'd be looking again for a deal.

-Dual HSU 15s, one on either side of my entertainment stand and flanked by the Ultra Towers.

-Start with one SVS PB-4000, add the other in time.

-Start with one Monolith 15 (maybe even two, who knows).

-Spring for a pair of SVS PB-3000s.

These are all my scenarios. Granted I'd be coming back to you guys to help me fine-tune all of this this. Man, I wish one of y'all lived in my town!! I still want to/have to add a center channel, two surround speakers, at least one separate amp (probably a three channel but maybe a bad ass two channel) for the towers and possibly the center, a cooling fan for the Denon receiver. That would complete my base system and may just complete it, period. I'm starting to think Atmos is a pipe dream for my room. LOL.

P.S. If I decide to put the subs behind my couch, outside of running wire all the way around the perimeter of my room to hide it behind furniture, how do you fish it under the carpet exactly? Also, what's a good stand I could use for my center channel speaker if I can't fit it property in my entertainment stand?

***This might sound crazy, but I cannot stop thinking about getting a sub for my system!! I swear I'm dreaming about that bass now!!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
There is rarely any reason to touch the manual EQ controls. Most are better off using Audyssey instead with the default reference or flat curves, or you could make your own in the audyssey phone/pad app. Its also worth trying with audyssey turned off to see what you prefer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
There is rarely any reason to touch the manual EQ controls. Most are better off using Audyssey instead with the default reference or flat curves, or you could make your own in the audyssey phone/pad app. Its also worth trying with audyssey turned off to see what you prefer.

Can you explain those settings and how they work?

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic

Like I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my Denon 4400 and Ultra Towers in the meantime. I need to go get a BluRay Disc and see what they can really do. I wonder if my X-Box One X can showcase their abilities a little better. I've only been playing my Nintendo Switch so far with my little guy. Need more hours in a day...but then I'd just have more time to obsess over these damn subs!! Ha!!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Audyssey flat is the Audyssey room EQ software trying to make the frequency response as flat as it can. Many find it a bit «dull» but some like it, its generally considered more accurate. Audyssey reference is a bit different, room EQ is still applied but in addition it boosts the bass more and more the lower volume you play at because we dont «hear» bass as well when its not as loud so it compensates by adding bass and also a little extra on the highest frequencies but not as much as with the bass. The compensation is because very few listen at reference volume(like in a theater) at home. We experience sound differently in small spaces like at home compared to a large theater so for a lot of people reference volume is painful at home. (I think its way too loud at a movie theater also so havent been to one for many years)

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Audyssey flat is the Audyssey room EQ software trying to make the frequency response as flat as it can. Many find it a bit «dull» but some like it, its generally considered more accurate. Audyssey reference is a bit different, room EQ is still applied but in addition it boosts the bass more and more the lower volume you play at because we dont «hear» bass as well when its not as loud so it compensates by adding bass and also a little extra on the highest frequencies but not as much as with the bass. The compensation is because very few listen at reference volume(like in a theater) at home. We experience sound differently in small spaces like at home compared to a large theater so for a lot of people reference volume is painful at home. (I think its way too loud at a movie theater also so havent been to one for many years)

Makes a lot of sense. So flat if just like it sounds, just an even or "flat" sound I assume?

Also, why is it common to put a sub in a corner for some? What exactly is the thinking behind that? Is that more for perfectly shaped cubed rooms?

And what exactly do those manual settings mean? You can adjust manually about 8 different numbers in ascending order.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Think of it like this. The left side is bass, middle is midrange and right side is treble.
Each number is an actual frequency(or note if you will) and when you move the slider up/down it gives more or less depending on wether you go up or down. In the middle is “0” and doesn’t add or subtract any output at that frequency. In the old days EQ’s were a fun way to shape your sound but as a more serious tool, it’s a manual way to do(partly) what Audyssey does, and that’s basically to give a “flat” response. So if you find that certain frequencies are obnoxious you can move the slider down. Or if you want more bass/mid/treble you can slide that range up.

In this image look at the bottom and you’ll see numbers. Those are basically the numbers on an eq. In simple terms, if I wanted to adjust any of these areas I would move the sliders(or in your denon select a frequency and move it to plus or minus) up or down to make it “flat” with no single area standing out and taking over the sound.
Hope that’s somewhat helpful.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh yeah, flat would be a way to reference the shape of the graph I posted. It’s mostly “flat” without any huge peaks or valleys.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic

Think of it like this. The left side is bass, middle is midrange and right side is treble.
Each number is an actual frequency(or note if you will) and when you move the slider up/down it gives more or less depending on wether you go up or down. In the middle is “0” and doesn’t add or subtract any output at that frequency. In the old days EQ’s were a fun way to shape your sound but as a more serious tool, it’s a manual way to do(partly) what Audyssey does, and that’s basically to give a “flat” response. So if you find that certain frequencies are obnoxious you can move the slider down. Or if you want more bass/mid/treble you can slide that range up.

In this image look at the bottom and you’ll see numbers. Those are basically the numbers on an eq. In simple terms, if I wanted to adjust any of these areas I would move the sliders(or in your denon select a frequency and move it to plus or minus) up or down to make it “flat” with no single area standing out and taking over the sound.
VERY helpful!!

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic

So simply keeping all the settings at zero won't keep the sound flat then? It's dependent on many other variables within the room and speaker placement?

Also, where's a GREAT to get some of this jargon down? I feel like I'm in a medical deposition where the doctors are speaking in shorthand and the rest of the room doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. LOL. I'm all for abbreviations if I know what they all mean. Is there a list on here somewhere?

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
So simply keeping all the settings at zero won't keep the sound flat then? It's dependent on many other variables within the room and speaker placement?

Also, where's a GREAT to get some of this jargon down? I feel like I'm in a medical deposition where the doctors are speaking in shorthand and the rest of the room doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. LOL. I'm all for abbreviations if I know what they all mean. Is there a list on here somewhere?
And to take it a step further, I have my BASIC setting set on Plus 6 for Treble, Plus 3 for Bass. I assume that does squat, right?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
And to take it a step further, I have my BASIC setting set on Plus 6 for Treble, Plus 3 for Bass. I assume that does squat, right?
Thats how the audyssey auto setup set it?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well it depends. I would say that give you +6db treble and +3db bass. So not necessarily squat. It’s like take the bass and treble knobs in the car and rotating them slightly to the right. If you have audyssey on, it won’t do anything. Audyssey needs to be off for this adjustments to do anything.
I feel like in your case, let audyssey do it’s thing and spend time reeeeaaalllllyy listening closely to content you know very well. Then when you do make adjustments(usually one thing at a time so you know what did what) it’s more clear what’s happening.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

http://www.audioholics.com/combo-pack-ebooks/learn/news/glossary-home-theater-terms-terminology/245
http://www.hometheaternetwork.com/HTN_Acronyms.htm
Not sure they’re great but might help!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Oh. Keeping them at zero would theoretically keep the sound flat, if the speakers played flat-ish to begin with. (None do in room). Zero means not adding or taking away. Just exactly how the signal comes in, it goes out.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Thats how the audyssey auto setup set it?

No, I did. I'm not even sure if I did the audyseey correct. I only have two front towers, no sub, no center channel, no surround speakers at the moment.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No, I did. I'm not even sure if I did the audyseey correct. I only have two front towers, no sub, no center channel, no surround speakers at the moment.
If it’s like my Marantz, the setup wizard is very straight forward and very good. If the terms are kinda sketchy, there is a description at the bottom of the screen indicating what your doing.

Btw, congratulations on another baby!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Audyssey Flat (or sometimes labeled music) is just that....aims at a flat frequency response. Audyssey (or reference or movie) is same except for a little roll off of the highest frequencies. The bass boost (and a bit of higher frequency boost) comes with DynamicEQ at less than reference volume (and can be adjusted via Reference Level Offset for music recordings, stock setting of 0 is for movies).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good morning. I'm going to print a cheat sheet or something, still don't understand a lot of the terminology.

Can anyone explain what EQ settings are exactly and how they should be set? It has a long row of numbers that can be set positive or negative, and I honestly don't have a clue what any of them mean.

Also, regarding the subs, I've decided on ported for my HT (got one of those abbreviations down at least, ha) and gaming needs plus you can just plug the ports for music if you should so choose. No brainer. If just based on price, I'd go dual HSU 15s and be done. I'm all about saving money and getting the most bang for my buck, too, as I have A LOT to add onto the system and found out, as of a few days, my wife is expecting, so this is my window to make it happen. So here's my thoughts and strictly from a layperson here:

-Back to that single SVS PB-Ultra 16. I have a great spot for it, and it'd kick major ass, no doubt. However, the one I was going to buy at 1,999 sold, so I'd be looking again for a deal.

-Dual HSU 15s, one on either side of my entertainment stand and flanked by the Ultra Towers.

-Start with one SVS PB-4000, add the other in time.

-Start with one Monolith 15 (maybe even two, who knows).

-Spring for a pair of SVS PB-3000s.

These are all my scenarios. Granted I'd be coming back to you guys to help me fine-tune all of this this. Man, I wish one of y'all lived in my town!! I still want to/have to add a center channel, two surround speakers, at least one separate amp (probably a three channel but maybe a bad ass two channel) for the towers and possibly the center, a cooling fan for the Denon receiver. That would complete my base system and may just complete it, period. I'm starting to think Atmos is a pipe dream for my room. LOL.

P.S. If I decide to put the subs behind my couch, outside of running wire all the way around the perimeter of my room to hide it behind furniture, how do you fish it under the carpet exactly? Also, what's a good stand I could use for my center channel speaker if I can't fit it property in my entertainment stand?

***This might sound crazy, but I cannot stop thinking about getting a sub for my system!! I swear I'm dreaming about that bass now!!
Which Hsu 15s? VTF-3 mk5? 15H mk2?

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
If it’s like my Marantz, the setup wizard is very straight forward and very good. If the terms are kinda sketchy, there is a description at the bottom of the screen indicating what your doing.

Btw, congratulations on another baby!
Thanks, man. I guess it's probably not good to build a screaming stereo when you have a little one coming, huh? :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis