Entertainment stands/racks

kidintraffic

kidintraffic

Audioholic Intern
This probably doesn't get discussed too much, but what is everyone doing for their entertainment stand/rack? Post some pics and where you bought your stand/rack.

Recommend any places to purchase this type of item?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Looking for ideas? Personally, I like EIA racks, with the rails that have standardized spacing for the mounting screws and shelves. The backside of the shelves usually has slots, which make cable management incredibly easy and clean. Also, if you don't want a black metal cabinet, you can either paint it whatever color you want, or get one of the open-sided ones and make/buy sides in whatever material you want. If you have a small area in a cabinet or closet and wouldn't have access to the back, some slide out and rotate. Middle Atlantic, Atlas and Fat Cat are three of the brands. If you want to make your own, you can buy the vertical rails, shelves and other hardware separately.

kidintraffic

kidintraffic

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I'm looking for ideas. I'm not sure how how I want to arrange my setup. I like the idea of having the tv above all the components though

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I use the studio tech modular racks. Future proofed, $199 shipped. I bought two, split em up, made one small one and one large one. I opted not to use the wire mgmt backs, so to speak, and also do not use the posts on the very bottom, and screwed the "feet" directly into the bottom shelf.

I recently saw my friend's studio tech rack-mountable type rack (what's the correct name?), and if I shopped all over again, I might splurge a bit more for that. Not sure, actually. Good luck.

Oh, parting shot, if you do an upright rack, add long HDMI cord for say $50, URC remote system $80, then you can pretty much hide your components anywhere. Even the closet.

Assuming wall mounted display:

The biggest side benefit, IMO, is that by not having the components up front, you could have three identical speakers on the same plane, vertically arrayed, no lights to distract from immersion, along with the ideal front stage. Hardly costs anymore, and sometime less depending on the cabinet that someone might buy.

It would be a great first step in a setup. In fact, maybe the best first step one could make in setting up an HT or mch music system.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I like seeing a great looking rack full of equipment, just not in front of me. when I'm watching TV. RF remotes are much better than IR but I prefer the computer programmed models. It's a lot faster when doing fine tuning and lots of button mapping and I'm a freak when it comes to that.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I like seeing a great looking rack full of equipment, just not in front of me. when I'm watching TV. RF remotes are much better than IR but I prefer the computer programmed models. It's a lot faster when doing fine tuning and lots of button mapping and I'm a freak when it comes to that.
One day, maybe I'll add Lutron. :rolleyes: :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I've got a 40 space Middle Atlantic rack in my basement along with a Middle Atlantic 12 or 14 space rack under the stairs...
http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/knock/slim5.htm
http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/knock/laminate.htm

All equipment is controlled through a Crestron control system via RF/wi-fi.

I also have a Wood Technology 28" rack which I have installed standard rack rail into which lives in my family room to hold local equipment including the PS3, Wii, HD DVD player, DVD player, some storage, and a power conditioner. This one is very full and I need to ditch the DVD player and HD DVD player for a stand alone Blu-ray player at some point.

http://www.racksandstands.com/Wood-Technology-AR-28-O-WT0293.html

Pretty standard fare for the second rack, but the glass door keeps my kids hands off the equipment until they are 3-4 and know better...

F

Funkmonkey

Junior Audioholic
I built mine:

The angled shelf holds my center channel, and aims it to ear level from our seated viewing/listening position. I did all the wood work and machining of the aluminum support tubes. The flat screen mount was store bought, though I drilled the big holes in it for more convenient cable access. The veneer is american Walnut, which I oiled with 3 coats of Danish oil rubbed in with steel-wool. I've since re arranged the electronics a bit, and added panels with 1" stand-offs to the back to cover the holes, and stop light from coming into the back but still allowing for good airflow.

I looked around for what was commercially available but the stuff I liked was way too expensive, and fairly cheaply constructed. This cost me a couple of hundred in materials and it's built like a tank. The most well thought out and constructed stuff I found to purchase was made by:
BDI
Salamander
Those two are by far the nicest that I found, and not cheap in any sense of the word.

You might try standsandmounts.com, or tvstands.com, or racksandstands.com for more ideas. All three offer competitive prices, and have a decent selection.

Cheers,
Funk

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
BDI stuff is beautiful and very well built.

Salamander I wasn't so impressed with.

Bello makes overpriced junk IMHO. The build quality for my PR-10E, which has a retail price of $1300, is worth half that to me. And I paid about half that luckily, or I'd be really peeved. Everything else I've seen from them is the same situation, overpriced for what you get.

HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Audioholic Intern
I ordered a Solid Tech Rack of Silence Ref 3 and a Ref 4 (sitting in garage). They'll be reconfigured so that the shorter posts of the Ref 3 will be "outside" the Ref 4, making the Ref 4 my center channel stand and the two outside racks for amps, pre/pro, cd, bd, pvr, and UPS. Hopefully, this works. :(

I saw DoingOK's pix and it reconfirmed that I like that techie style of rack.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
I'm using an old nightstand with the drawer removed and the back taken off. It's a very sturdy piece and has space just a tad over 19" wide so everything fits fine side to side and there is plenty of air circulation. It also serves as a very solid stand for my 42" plasma TV.

Deadeye

Deadeye

Audioholic Intern
I built mine:

[
The angled shelf holds my center channel, and aims it to ear level from our seated viewing/listening position. I did all the wood work and machining of the aluminum support tubes. The flat screen mount was store bought, though I drilled the big holes in it for more convenient cable access. The veneer is american Walnut, which I oiled with 3 coats of Danish oil rubbed in with steel-wool. I've since re arranged the electronics a bit, and added panels with 1" stand-offs to the back to cover the holes, and stop light from coming into the back but still allowing for good airflow.

I looked around for what was commercially available but the stuff I liked was way too expensive, and fairly cheaply constructed. This cost me a couple of hundred in materials and it's built like a tank. The most well thought out and constructed stuff I found to purchase was made by:
[

Cheers,
Funk

That's some really nice work you did.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I recently saw my friend's studio tech rack-mountable type rack (what's the correct name?), and if I shopped all over again, I might splurge a bit more for that.
At least in my opinion...

Racks are racks.

The other stuff that doesn't take ears are equipment shelves.

I always get confused on here because people will make a post about a "rack" and they'll really be talking about an equipment shelf.

Here is my half completed rack (per the op's original request).

bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
Davemcc +1 on the Init stand:D It is nice and sleek looking, holds ALL my gear, and does NOT break the bank.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Sweet setup, Red. Not to mention that your photography skills are much greater than mine. (My room is not yellow, as the pics would suggest.) I wish I could use the bottom shelf more, like you have, but we have cats that just won't die of natural causes. I try to keep as much gear as possible on the upper shelves to reduce the equipment's exposure to loose hair and dander.

It is a nice stand, strong and heavy as heck. It sure holds a lot of gear, too.

K

KODG

Junior Audioholic
stand

I built mine:

BDI
Salamander
Those two are by far the nicest that I found, and not cheap in any sense of the word.

You might try standsandmounts.com, or tvstands.com, or racksandstands.com for more ideas. All three offer competitive prices, and have a decent selection.

Cheers,
Funk
your rack that you builti s just what i need i think were running the same sony 52" xbr2! but what i love is the center section! i need something like that for my huge B&W htm2d center. great job. if you found the design on a manufactured rack company please let me know.

thanks, & great craftsmanship!
KODG

Thirsty93

Thirsty93

Audioholic

This is mine it is made by av Architecture,Peerless.I bought this back in 97 but I don't think they make these anymore....but I'm looking.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis