Enter to Win: Velodyne EQ-Max 10 Subwoofer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jasondhenry

Enthusiast
A/V Contest

1. How do you buy your high-end audio products today? Why?
online because I feel the best deals can be found online especially when purchasing from an internet direct dealer.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?
Emotiva xpa-5 amp, I feel it is an exceptional value and is on my short list of future electronic purchases.
Oppo bd93 - Is an awesome universal player with great audio/video quality.
Sony HDR-TD10 Full HD 3D Camcorder I would love to have this amazing camcorder, it really shows how far camcorder technology has come. A definite wishlist item!

3. What is your most treasured audio component?
My HSU vtf-15h sub an amazing piece of gear especially when you consider its relative low cost.

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?
I would love to see high fidelity audio be released directly to bluray, not only the live concerts.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
  • Specialty Retail Store
  • Custom Installer
Online due to the range (pretty much any current and former generation product can be found) and the price is very competitive (in most cases better than retail store price even after shipping is factored in).

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?
  1. LED Projectors - Don't have to ask oneself if the lamp is too dim for the calibrated Reference. Best cost to size ratio of video without the worry/cost of lamp replacement.[*]Slates with GSM radio - With Broadband Internet speeds achieved on mobile devices, we are one step closer to a cloud solution that will make locally saved digital and physical media obsolete.[*]Class D Amps - AV snobbery and lack of knowledge is severely impeding the growth of this technology.

I have yet to acquire any speakers or headphones or electronics that can be deemed 'a treasured component'. The first guitar I bought myself would be it.

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?

Integration of personal computer and home theater, aka. the HTPC. A well conceived (and well implemented) device will be a game console, media server, streaming media aggrigator and home computer rolled into one.

R

runswithaliens

Audiophyte
Hi, thanks for making this contest available. Although a periodic visitor to these forums, it is this contest that has inspired me to join.

Questions

Mostly online due to availability and pricing, although for larger electronic goods especially I prefer to purchase locally so as not to have to mess with return shipping if it needs to be returned. And I also will purchase locally at times even if it is a bit more expensive and involves paying the sales tax because it is nice supporting local independent stores (the few remaining). It is also nice having these Specialty Retail Stores locally due to the convenience of being able to see and/or hear the product before purchase.

1. Believe it or not, I am shopping for a Subwoofer and the new Velodyne EQ-Max 10" or 12" are at the top of my list. I think the price/feature ratio is just right on this series. The fact that they include a high-pass filter as well as the standard low-pass is a much-needed feature I am glad to see included. The remote and different EQ settings seem like they will be usefull - which is why I am looking at getting one of these rather than something more plain-jane such as a similar sized HSU sub. Also these new Velodynes are better looking than many of the subs out there.

2. AudioLab M-DAC. - looks to be one of the best DACS available today and also includes a powerful headphone amp and pre-amp capabilites.

3. Just purchased a 42" Vizio Passive 3D TV and am very impressed with the 3D quality thus far. So I am looking forward to that technology catching on and for more 3D movies as well as 3D PC and PS3 games to be released.

Currently it would have to be the Sennheiser HD650 headphones I recently purchased. The sound as well as comfort level are excellent and I think I can safely say that I have found Headphones I can be happy with for quite some time. Now I just need to upgrade the rest of my audio components.

I feel that the computer as all-in-one media center is going to become more and more popular and so I would like to see more half-width all-in-one units and components designed to fit on the desktop. They should have multiple connection options for digital and analog connections, come with useful features such as a remote and etc. The AudioLab M-DAC mentioned above is a perfect example of what we need more of.

For example, I use a 42" HDTV as my computer monitor. I use this computer for gaming, internet browsing, and movie watching such as Netflix and playing DVDs. Also all of my music is ripped from CDs in lossless format to the computer's drives and so the computer also acts as a fully programable jukebox. Then with a PS3 connected to the TV I am also able to watch Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D movies as well as play the occasional PS3 game.

Whats needed then is good quality, desktop sized audio gear that can work effectively in such a setup.

--------------------------------------------------

B

biglaw22

Audioholic Intern

Online, because I don't have any stores close to me. But more than anything else I don't have to talk to sales people. If I want to know something I get my information from many different sources and form my own opinion. The sales guy just wants your money.

1) The advancement of High Definition video recording. (I design pro devices that do this!) As devices start to record 1080p and higher signals, more and more devices will be coming out that can do 4k or 5k (overkill much for the broadcast industry as a whole) But this means processing power is increased and so is storage bring on the Solid State recording!

2. Thunderbolt display or any higher than 1080p display. PPI! I gotta have more pixels. Phone displays with 720P thats great. I long for the days when my computer screen will have a PPI of 300 or even 200. small screens with a PPI of 500 are in development now... Who needs to print pictures with this kind of resolution.

3) Tablets, Utrabooks and thunderbolt. AKA the shrinking of computing power. How great is it that you can have a small machine that can do it all not weigh you down and use a single connector to connect everything you need.

Yamaha RX-A1000 I love its connect-ability and iPhone app intigration.

Internet TV. Bring on the death of cable TV. Nobody wants to pay for it. I'll watch the commercials, just don't make me pay for all the crap I'm never going to watch.

I

irl5fan

Audiophyte
Online - The prices seem better and there are more names to choose from.

a - Android Phones, you can do so much with these phones now.
b - Google TV because it is where TV is going, there is a lot of potential.
c - TV's, they are becoming so advanced and have come a long way.

3. What is your most treasured audio component? Yamaha RX-V667

Video streaming technologies

C

Cozmo

Audioholic
Questions

Online - High quality products at lower prices.

PlayStation 3 - cause I still like to play video games
iPad2 - more convenient than my laptop
Marantz SR7005 - Cause I want one :)

My projector/screen

HDMI - it's a consumer's nightmare.....

D

DIGITALBATH

Enthusiast
1. How do you buy your high-end audio products today? Why? A combination of online and brick and mortar. I do research and then try to look at and demo the products, using sites such as this to gather information. I want to be as well informed as possible, but still get a good deal.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why? Projectors, PS3, Plasma. I like the massive size that a projector can give you, with 3D and 1080p being affordable more and more a projector is an awesome product. The PS3 is the single most well rounded entertainment device, period. Panasonic is getting close to Kuro blacks and it's only a matter of time they pass them.
3. What is your most treasured audio component? My Onkyo TX-SR605, it has been a solid performer and has given me HD audio right out of the gate.

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?OLED displays are the future. Incorporation of computers and home automation with IOS devices will continue to evolve.

B

Bull58

Audiophyte
Enter to Win

Questions

Online mostly because of high quality products at lower prices.

Speakers - I am currently looking at upgrading my current set-up
Smart phone - lots of choices
iPad2 - Cause I want one

My 2 channel amp (UPA-2) I just love the way it sounds..

Some type of standarized connectivity between all components (PC/TV/AV Processor/Internet)

C

Catnap

Enthusiast

Media streamers that do it all.
Tablet computers
Can't think of anything else - not really up on latest techie stuff
Sierra speakers
Wireless options for good speakers

M

mjgeorge

Audiophyte

Online - Very few stores in my area.

- iPad - Simple intuitive interface with wireless connectivity.
- Boxee - Seems to offer full featured streaming with a good interface.
- Philharmonic Audio 1, 2, and 3 loudspeakers - Designed by Dennis Murphy and prices much closer to something I might be able to afford.

Oppo BDP-83 - Great product with excellent support.

Streaming audio & video - Great potential, but have a long way to go to offer full content, seamless integration, and intuitive interfaces.

W

wyllisx1

Junior Audioholic
1) best deals & get lots of helpful information also.

2) blu-ray players-better picture quality
4g cell phones-spped of course
tablets-my mom loves them
3) Yamaha RX-V667
4) integrated tvs

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Specialty retail store. There are a couple of very good options in the Denver area of individually-owned HiFi retailers. The service, ability to really demo and the knowledge of a few of these guys are worth my money.

-Streaming players and networks that can quickly and easily send 16/44 FLAC audio files.
-Full-featured bass management pre-built into recievers.
-Home automation via iDevices and Android.

-Velvet Touch prototype integrated tube amplifier

Lifestyle pre-built solutions with note-worthy quality and output for the average consumer.

K

kikkoman

Audiophyte

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

I purchase my audio products via Online. The reason is because it can become difficult to test certain audio products at brick and mortars since they may not carry them, and online has alot of reviews and information to allow anybody to purchase easier. Lastly, online tends to have better pricing and availability as well.

1. First, would be 3D technology. I really enjoy 3D, the eye-popping effects and immersive experience.
2. Second, would be true high-def movie streaming services. This allows you to rent movies online without needing to have actual discs. A definite convenience factor.
3. Lastly, would be integration of smart applications in tv's. This allows for only 1 system to be powered on to allow for internet browsing, high-def movie streaming, etc. It would also be nice to stream high-def sound for movies as well.

This is really a hard question since it depends on all of my components from the receiver, to the fronts, center, rears, and sub. So it would be all of my equipment, together which make 1 treasured component :) Seeing how I am new to being an audioholic, well not a 'true' one yet since it takes a long time and deep pockets :)

I am not sure if this is untapped but being able to allow home owners the ability to setup a nice home theater without having to mount tv's, drill holes, etc. So maybe a white screen cloth that is easily put up and taken down with a mini projector, along with high-def wireless speakers and sub. Also being able to watch 3D without the need for the 3D glasses would be nice as well. I am sure these things are being looked at, but perhaps being able to provide the normal home owner the ability to acquire without breaking the bank so to say, would definitely be nice.

Thanks and I hope I win.

K

kibbyster

Enthusiast
velodyne subwoofer contest

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

Online - Best value.

thin and light laptops when prices come down
3d tvs when prices come down
new iphone all metal body and 4g

My anthony gallo speakers

Video

N

NICKNJ

Audiophyte
Online ( online)
Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

Marantz- Best a/v receiver
Monitor Audio - best speakers
Velodyne- Best Subs

speakers

speakers

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic

Online and at Speciality Retail Stores. Online stores are more convenient and usually offer better prices. Plus there is the online used market. But many brands are only available through speciality stores.

a) I'm looking forward to better 3D projectors, for when I next upgrade my projector in the next couple of years.
b) Advances in 3D display technology including glasses-less (unfortunately only possible with front-panel displays AFAIK).
c) More choices, and more affordable, 3D glasses that fit my head and go over vision-correcting glasses.

Neko Audio D100 Mk2

More sophisticated audio room correction.

T

tim2xu

Audiophyte
contest

Through friends in the AV business and online.
Better speakers
Separate amplification per channel
large screen television (72" or larger)
Denon 4308 receiver
htpc integration and whole house sound and video

T

thegreenline

Enthusiast
Velodyne EQ-Max 10 Subwoofer Contest

Contest

1. I buy online at audiogon or Vanns, from a dealer. Try to only buy used gear online. Have bought a TV from Vanns.

2. Music Servers, HD music downloads, Video streaming

3. Escient Fireball E2-400

4. Affordable music streamers in the $500 range. With a tv based user interface

D

dseng

Enthusiast

Online. I live in a small town in Alaska - we have very limited choices when it comes to brick & mortar options.

Tablet computers & cloud storage - the ubiquity of data and application access
Android phones - offer unprecedented power AND freedom
LED lighting - the technology just keeps getting better and better - performance is doubling every three years

My Klipsch speakers

I think that enhancing ease of setup and configuration and making systems integrate seamlessly together - networks/ audio & video / computers offers a huge potential to broaden the market audience.

S

superspeed

Enthusiast
Questions

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer
Answer: Both Online & Specialty Store.
Why? : I research products online first, verify features & functions @ specialty store then lately purchase via internet.

Answer: 1. Affordable Amplifiers 2. Subwoofers. 3. Wireless "anything".
Why: The "bang for your dollar" is simply with-in most peoples reach if this is truly a hobby that you enjoy as much as I do.

Answer: My Velodyne Book-shelf speakers! (Yup, Velo made book-shelfs)...I bought these in 2001 as a 5.1 speaker system based on reputation and as I have upgraded my speaker system over the years, the Velo book-shelfs remain as my rear-surrounds as they are simply bullitt-proof!

Answer: Wireless....Need to not only make subs, speakers, internet wireless, but also the entire communication process from TV to Amp to Speakers/Subs without ANY loss in sound or signal drop-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis