Enter to Win: Velodyne EQ-Max 10 Subwoofer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
Question 1: Online, due to getting the best deals

Question 2: Phones because they are always getting better and faster
Home Audio Receivers because they are getting more capability
Subwoofers since their designs are always being tweaked to get the best sound

Question 3: My Blu-Ray player because it is my connection to streaming content

Question 4: Televisions, It would benice to allow others to watch different content on the same screen when wearing the glasses

J

jairus

Audiophyte
1. How do you buy your high-end audio products today? Why?

Online audioadvisor.com

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?
Blu-ray player, small HD LED projectors (Vivitek Qumi), boxee type streaming devices
3. What is your most treasured audio component?
Tivoli Three radio plus stereo speaker (want to add a sub) - wife had me sell all my audio stuff when we moved across country last year.

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?
Getting people started with smaller audio systems and educating on advantages of going hi-end.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Online: Mainly because I already have a pretty good idea of what I like and while I take the opportunity to demo, most online retailers will let you send products back if you don't like them. Really after I read the reviews, I have a pretty good idea and the only real place to test it is in my room....thus, online makes sense.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?

Apple (all): Despite some gripes, the products are innovative and I'm always excited to see what they'll release next. I can't tell you what the mixture of Spotify and my iPhone 4s has done for me. Tired of my playlist, I can grab a new one in the airport lounge! Of course I have my gripes, like 720 resolution on the AppleTV makes it not practical for my display, and iTunes is annoying and doesn't support lossless.

Oppo: Great price, great blu-ray. I haven't tried the new one, but the 8x series was great and Audioholics review was very positive for the 9x. PS3 is great if you play games, but, otherwise I say the Oppo. Pretty exciting product for the money.

Monoprice: Taking cables, making some money, but not actually ripping my head off.

Technics 1200 turntables. :)

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?

Tough one. With front projection getting so much better and affordable, screen sizes can get pretty big. We're starting to get into the area where higher resolutions than 1080 make sense, and a lot of movies are being shot on 4k camera like Red or Canon's EOS. I'd like to see a 4k format come out.

As far as mass market, it's really hard. I'd like to see Apple compete with Crestron and AMX, and they really already are indirectly with Sevant, but, internally will be an interesting task.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Questions

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

For my most recent purchase, most was from a specialty A/V store.

New A/V recievers with internet connections and Airplay/DLNA.

Whole home audio control from tablets.

Audyssey and the like room correction software....easy to use and a big improvement in the sound.

My SVS PB10-NSD. Transformed movie watching.

Good wireless speakers. We bluetooth everything, stream music from our tablets to our A/V receivers, but still have to run cable all over to the 5 or 7 or 9 speakers throughout our listening rooms.

G

Ghost1981

Audiophyte
  • Specialty retail store if they have what I'm looking for and I'm able to play with it before buying it. Otherwise online but only if I've already properly tested it out.

A. Kindle Fire - Not really all that into tablets as I've yet to see the point, but for $200 it would be a fun gadget to play with and see what I might be able to do with it outside of the norm.
    B. Any Oppo blu-ray player. I just really need one for my home.
    C. THX-Z receiver/speaker set up. I'm still running just a standard 5.1 receiver setup, the receiver is probably going on 8-10 years old at this time. So it's definitely time to upgrade.

A. My Grado headphones, pristine sound from a very nice set of cans.

A. Audio in general is untapped at least from the normal consumer perspective, it's more a perception vice an actually untapped resource. People are more willing to spend a lot on a TV vice a nice Audio setup.

Ghost1981

A

atlayank

Audiophyte

Best prices and easy to find reviews

a)Integra Pre Amps b) Emotiva Amps c) any alternatives to Apple

INTEGRA DHC40.1

A/V Media, Control and Home automation integration with Android devices

S

shoman95

Audiophyte

Online - Research, price and convenience

iPad - use as a remote, watch tv on
Roku - an alternative to conventinal tv
wireless - wireless sub signal, wireless hdmi

Onkyo TX-NR609

Home automation, a/v control for every room - easier to put together and more affordable

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic

Typically online, I have gone into stores to audition speakers, but end up buying online for better deals.

1. Smart phones - There's so much you can do on them, it's addicting to have one. I never thought I'd be one of those people as I sit here with my HTC Evo.
2. An amplifier - Been looking for something to power my fronts and especially at Emotiva. We'll see how my tax refund looks this year, I still have school to pay for though...:rolleyes:
3. A media streamer, I haven't done enough research to pick one out. But I'm looking for something relatively simple to stream videos/music from my network through my TV. I seem to be able to only stream music through my receiver :confused:.

Was my Onkyo 809, but I just picked up some RBH T-2's and am in love. It's one of them ménage à trois situations ;).

I think 3D products need a revamp. It hasn't quite taken off yet and, in my eyes, is almost dying due to not catching on fast enough. Something needs to be done to either make it cheaper, or better for the masses.

D

davidthi

Audiophyte
Velodyne subwoofer contest

Questions

Online: It's just easier to do the research online, then find the best prices from reputable dealers that will deliver the products right to your door.

a) iPads - It's just a cool product that is small enough to carry around easily, but powerful enough to do things with (with a big enough display to not make the experience excruciatingly annoying, like with an iPod Touch or smartphone).
b) Home Theater systems - Big systems have always been around; but, small satellite speakers are sounding better & better, have wireless surrounds, wireless subwoofers, and more convenient a/v receivers are available that include really practical features, such as Airplay.

My old Dual 1229 turntable.

Nearly completely wireless hookups for a/v systems that are simple. As long as they sound as good as wired, with no interference (hums, crackles, & pops when turning on & off, etc).

S

shavens

Audiophyte
Velodyne EQ-Max Entry

Online for best prices available

1-Velodyne subs because of the Microphone for EQing
2-iPad-2 - Because it's an iPad 2! and you can use and Airplay
3-PS3 for Music and Media streaming. Games are secondary

Mcintosh MX-132 A/V preamp/proc

Using the iPhone as a audiophile component. If there were more option for tapping into the media on the iPhone digitally.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CharlesFlute

Audiophyte
Velodyne EQ-Max Entry

Online, I look for best prices available

1-Electronic room correction A/V receivers/prepros. No matter how good the equiment, the room has the most effect on the sound experience.
2-Smart phones/devices. Everyone has or wants one and there is so much you can do with them via apps.
3-Media streamers. That is the future of consuming/buying audio/video.

Integra 80.2 A/V preamp/processor

Video - Good black levels for projectors/TVs and streaming/sharing 1080p or higher to and around a home.

Last edited:
G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
My home theater was put together with puchases from :
- Online (processor, amps, and HDTV)
- Specialty Retail Store (Velodyne HGS-15)
- Custom Installer (speakers)
After viewing and listening in literally dozens of set-ups, the products which I wanted were then basically purchased based on price.

- 3D (just bought an LED-LCD 3D)
- Blu-Ray 3D (have not bought a player yet)
- streaming (only pay for what you want to watch and not a 100 channels that you don't watch)

- Probably my speaker system (it would take forever to re-audition all of the speakers that I have listened to and then find a system that truly grabbed me)

- 5.1 or 7.1 or surround-sound audio-only CDs ... put me in the middle of the band!

B

BillyBob427

Audiophyte
Online - I generally buy online because you can find better deals that way. I use ebay, amazon, and craigslist quite often to find good deals on new and used equipment.

- New subwoofer technology because they companies are making better products in smaller packages.
- Wireless speaker technology. I don't currently use this technology, but I believe it will make adding speakers to your home audio set-up much easier and less of a hassel to hide speaker wires and that whole bit.
- New car audio components. I enjoy new audio technology in mobile audio as well because it seems like speakers and components get better and yet seem to be getting lower in price, which is a plus for everyone.

- My NAD T-763 receiver. It is my first "mid - level" receiver and I got a very good deal on it. My dad always had/has NAD receivers and I enjoy the way the put out sound and actually produce the numbers they claim to. Great products for the price.

- I believe that there will be better advancements in audio and video alike in the upcoming years as technology progresses and more people attempt to create new products.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
  • Specialty Retail Store
  • Custom Installer
I'm more of a mid-fi guy but I prefer to buy from a local specialty store. Many of my more recent purchases come from our local 6th Avenue Electronics (now gone). I prefer to support the local merchant, particularly when their prices are competitive. and besides, I like keepig my neighbors employed.

First, wireless Internet radios seem to me to be the way to go. Since OTA radio went down the tubes, that's the only real recourse for exposure to new music short of buying music blindly.

Secondly, Blu-Ray is making good inroads. It's a good step-up from DVD's but not that much that people can't transition into it gradually. As older TV's and DVD players die out, it'll be the next logical step and still within the grasp of almost everyone.

Finally, I think sound bars will become more popular as people demand more in sound fromwhat theyr new flat screen TV's can deliver. These can provide a great improvement in sound without the muss and fuss of a full-blown HT system.

I'd have to say my ancient, yet fully functional, Marantz 2270 rceiver. It's been part of my life ever since I bought it NIB when I got out of the Air Force.

I see more and more inter weaving of control of our "stuff" and home environment via smart phones and even voice command.

L

lincolnhayes

Audioholic Intern
A/V Contest

1. I go to specialty stores to test. I buy most of my AV products on line. I test the products after reading reviews, then I buy on line for a better price.

2. 4G cell phones. Pure speed & downloads during flights. Gaming industry. Graphics keep getting better & better. Smart TV with the ability to download any movie at any time and not have to worry about returns.

3. My turntable. I still have over 2,000 LP's, much of which I can't replace. I also severely miss thr liner notes and buying LP's just because the cover is cool. Many people miss alot of music by just buying one song at a time. You've got to listen to an LP at least 3 times to see if you like it or not. GIVE THE LP A TRUE CHANCE!

4. The biggest advancement in AV systems is increasing the ability to plug and play. Litterally every friend I have I have to go to their house to set up their AV system. They plug optical 1 into video 1 etc. There has to be auto recognition on the way. Some people won't buy anything new becuase they don't want to sound stupid to the sales person & don't want to pay for custom hook up. PLEASE pass this up the line. I'm not getting paid for the hook ups.

D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
Questions

Online - due to price

blu ray, hd tv, hi tech phones. Makes life nice, watching movies at home now is better than the theater, and can even watch on the phone.

Lexicon RT-20

More wireless options. People who buy the home theater in the box are the type who would benefit from not having to run wires. More should be looked at with this market.

D

debasgho

Audiophyte
A/V COntest

Online. Stores are overpriced.

1. Samsung Tablet pc
2. Sony Bravia LED TV
3. TSi CS10 Center Speaker

My AVR, it does everything I want and need.

Low cost home integration. I think everyone could benefit from a "SMART" home but it costs too darn much.

B

bluelightning

Enthusiast

Online. Plenty of reviews and user information available. Stores don't have as many choices. Hard to find knowledgeable and honest sales people.

1) Yamaha Rx-a3010 : Almost groundbreaking improvements for a receiver
2) Oppo Bdp-95: Measurements close to theoretical limits !
3)The new SVS PB12 NSD subwoofer: I know this a Velodyne survey, but have to tell the truth :) .Besides solid energy to 18 Hz at $769 what's not to like ?

My DCM KX-10 series 2 speakers from my University days.

Integrated Home media servers for streaming audio/ video recording for the entire house.

I

iTweezy

Audiophyte

- Specialty Retail Store: Knowledgeable reps that have first hand experience, I can demo products in-store, can often get better prices than marked

- Panasonic VT30: fantastic TV, more-than-reasonable price range, unmatched picture quality (in terms of TV's out on the market presently)
- Denon AVR 4311: beefy power, EQ multiple subs, nice features, excellent SQ
- Denon AH-D2000 Headphones: one of the best entry-level audiophile-status headphones, phenomenal SQ, extremely comfortable

- M&K V-1B Subwoofer: oldie but goodie subwoofer I got from my dad that shakes the house but meticulously controls lower excursion

- Quality acoustic panels that do not intrude into people's homes that can be easily integrated into any setup

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
1) Online.. Simply put there is a much wider selection. I havent bought any audio related high end stuff new in quite a while. Mostly used because the prices are so much better. The last stuff I bought i got off craigslist. And anyway, unless its a pair of speakers listening to an amp or something at a dealer showroom with a random pair of speakers isint going to tell me jack about how it actually performs.

2) Most excited about? Well I would love to have a TV that i can stream video to from my computer. Wireless is pretty cool technology. I have a wireless printer and still think its neat to scan or print stuff from across my apartment. Some new technology is pretty slick. But alot of it is just crap. Solid state drives also seem promising. Having something like an Ipad i could control a media server with would also be neat. I could have the stereo all setup and just sit in the chair and select what I want to listen to right there on the screen.

3) My Odyssey Khartago monoblocks

4) I wouldnt call it untapped, but more reasonably priced multi zone A/V with tablet control

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis