Enter to Win: Velodyne EQ-Max 10 Subwoofer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moslick

Audiophyte
Questions

1. How do you buy your high-end audio products today? Why?
Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

ONLINE, easiest!

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?
1.Oppo Blueray -- Need to upgrade from my Oppo DVD player
2. Networked products -- The more we integrate into our home networks the better. Better control, better options!
Sonos -- integrated Ipod, music.... throughout the house

3. What is your most treasured audio component?

My Denon 1909 Receiver

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?

In ceiling/wall speakers. I think the "clean" look will begin to take off.

J

jawhn

Audiophyte

This is the way I USUALLY go. I like to do my own research and "BANG FOR THE BUCK" is important in this economy.

Specialty Retail Store
The closest thing I have near me is a BEST BUY, where there is little knowledge and most electronics are set up poorly.

Custom Installer
For some things like Calibration and Room Treatments I would like to use a Custom Installer, but most are WAY out of my price range and the results I've seen very widely.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?

1. Wireless technology
It has the POTENTIAL to make every electronic product better (less clutter, flexible placement and a VERY HIGH Wife Acceptance Factor). Most Wireless products today are not there yet, but the possibilities are endless.

2. Auto Calibration
Most A/V forum members at least ATTEMPT to set up their systems with test disks, but there is only so far you can go without REAL test equipment. Taking the HUMAN factor out of the equation SHOULD produce better results. Also, the AVERAGE consumer never even attempts to set their electronics correctly.

3. Projectors
Great projectors are becoming affordable and NOTHING says THEATER like a BIG screen (although GREAT sound is equally important).

My Yamaha A/V Receiver
Audio and Video switching along with Network capability make getting to my content much easier.

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?

1. Remote Controls
I've tried every thing from the CHEAP universal remotes to my cousins VERY EXPENSIVE custom Crestron. And although the more expensive ones definitely work better the fact that you can't program them yourself, and the high price, make them unsuitable for the average person. Remotes like the Harmony line still have limited customization.

2. Cloud distribution
Again, the POTENTIAL is there, but CURRENT bandwidth limitations in this country are the biggest problem. For me, only Audio and Video quality EQUAL to Bluray would be acceptable. I'm not interested in going BACKWARD in quality for added convenience.

G

grateful4music

Audiophyte
Velodyne EQ-Max 10 Subwoofer

Online: I tend to do a lot of research before I buy, so I appreciate the increased selection and, often, lower prices that online shopping offers.

1) USB DACs for computer audio playback because they offer an easy connection to high quality sound from one of the most versatile digital music playback systems--the PC

2) Blu-Ray for its Hi-Res audio capabilities. I'm a fan of SACD and DVD-Audio, but they never made much headway as formats. Blu-Ray is already established, and its "standard" audio capabilities already exceed that of DVD-Audio

3) iPhone 4S because it's my first step into the world of Smartphones

Currently, my HRT Music Streamer II USB DAC

I guess, Hi-Res music downloads coupled with music servers for streaming high quality music throughout your house.

marriedgeek

marriedgeek

Audiophyte
Specialty Retail Store. I need to be able to HEAR what I'm buying.

Roku-style products - streaming HD and 5.1 audio content, making me think about dropping cable!
Blu-ray - I have no reason to go to a crowded theater again.
NAS devices - Being able to network all your content across multiple machines for viewing

My trusty, low-end Yahama rx-v367, as it's part of my first component home theater system.

Higher-quality streaming audio. I need something more than 192kbps.

B

BobBart

Audioholic
1. Buy online.
2.Nas device,3d products, oled technology.
3.pioneer vsx23thx
4.Hires surround sound audio.

CoolBob

Audiophyte
It's all about the sound for me.

Questions

Online - Only in-store options within 250-miles of me are Walmart or BestBuy.

Speakers - Still the weakest link in the audio chain and the product with the most personality, electronics all sound very similar in my experience.

Headphones - for the same reasons as speakers.

Subwoofers - same reasons.

My pair of Omni-Sound two-way tower speakers. They employ modified Vifa tweets and hand-built Toby woofers and sound better to my ears than any speakers I have heard for less than $3k.

Speakers and subwoofers have come a long way in the past 20-years, but they still have the most potential for development in my opinion.

D

duworm

Audiophyte
Lets win a Subwoofer

Questions

Some but little at speciality store, there are not many left.

70 inch tv
The advances in AV Receivers
electronic equilizers

OPPO-93

Thin speakers

DUWORM

J

Joel47

Enthusiast
Questions

Online. Better prices, and it's easier to get refurbished/used stuff.

Android/iPad remote controls.
Room correction hardware (subwoofer or wideband).
HTPCs.

SVS PB12+/2

Room correction. Outside of dedicated rooms, it's hard to get good-looking room treatments. While room correction isn't perfect, the better it is, the better things sound.

J

jconde

Enthusiast
cotest entry

I buy my stuff online because it is more convenient and cheaper

HTPC, HD streamers and oled TV. I am always looking for the most convenience and the best picture and sound

My Aperion speakers

Truly high quality streaming is the new frontier. The minute they get that right it will be the end of media as we know it.

K

krandy

Audiophyte
Subwoofer Contest

Questions

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

I mostly purchase online. It is easier to research products online and the price is usually good.

Kindle Fire because of the reasonable price and interesting functionality.
GPS because of its almost unlimited potential.
WiFi because it has become the internet connection of choice.

My desktop computer because I listen to online classical music throughout the day. Maybe I should add the Cambridge Soundworks speakers that I listen through. They are great.

I think video has the most untapped potential.

NOTE this contest ends on December 31st, 2011. The winner will be drawn shortly thereafter.

D

dapig

Audiophyte
Survey

Usually on line, not a lot of good shops in my area.

Audio apps, streaming services, anything that sounds good

Denon Amp

IP integration and streaming

W

Wheatenterrier

Junior Audioholic
1. Online, folks at shops are not always nice to talk to.
2. Projectors, subs, screens. Because those are the things I plan on buying.
3. My svs speakers
4. Universal remotes or apps for iPhone/android turning them into universal remotes.

T

tom1276

Audiophyte
1. How do you buy your high-end audio products today? Online Why?
Online gets me the biggest bang for my buck.

HDMI connections because it is high quality audio/visual and easy (and cheap).

Blue Ray because of the high end audio/visual reproduction with very low distortion.

Surround sound technology because it has the potential of making listening and watching concerts and movies as good at home as you can get live or in the theatre.

Tough choice but I will go with my Velodyne FSX-12 sub.

Lossless audio in 5.1 and up surround sound. I really look forward to listening to music in ways that will take full advantage of today's theatrical sound stage technology.

Wireless. I would love to see wireless technology developed to the point that speaker wires are no longer needed. Not even close yet but hopefully someday...

Quality control needs higher priority. Many exciting products often have quality issues that appear within the first year of ownership. As a consumer I expect the bugs to be worked out well before the product is on my shelf. Onkyo appears to be one of the worst offenders but they are not alone in needing to up their build standards.

G

gulmer

Enthusiast
If I where to be in the situation to buy high end audio gear, I would probably buy from online store, like an Oppo Blu-Ray player from Oppo.com.

A new Panasonic plasma HDTV, love the look of a plasma tv over an LCD.
An Oppo blu-ray player, best player for the money.
An IPAD2, that's a consumer electronic, isn't it? because it's so cool and portable.

I would have to say my Oppo DVD player, to play my SACD's and DVD Audio discs on and of course, DVDs.

You got me there. Just can't think of anything unless you would consider quality wireless audio/video in that.

A

alpnut

Audiophyte

Specialty Retail Store- Support the local guy & usually have a good chance of finding a deal in the process

1. Blu-ray- lossless, lossless, lossless 2. Home automation/integration- 3. iPhone/iPad- seems like the potential is just barely being tapped or home control

The Denon AV amp on my wishlist

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology? Mobile/portable device integration into home control.

Last edited:
S

Someday

Enthusiast
My Velodyne

Both online for most components and retail stores for speakers.
Oppo Blu-ray but I think I can wait till the rest of the market catches up for lower price.

Logitech squeezebox touch

DACs, bluray performance, and higher res media streaming

T

TheAudio

Audiophyte

Online. I like to take it slow and do a lot of research when buying anything. Plus i like the fact that I don't have people watching me or over me while shopping.

Ipod. Love the idea of having all the music I could possibly listen to while on the go and not having to carry multiple CDs.

The New Blackberry Bold. Love the sleek look and sturdy feel. Plus the new technology.

The new LED 3D televisions. Wow. How far have we came from the old 13 inch black and white TVs with the antenna.

My Onkyo Receiver.

Since purchasing a DVD player with Wifi, I think that will be the next big thing. Unbeliever picture from streaming Netflix. The ease of renting/watching movies. Wifi/ethernet capability on DVD players and TVs will be big.

M

MacProCT

Audiophyte
My answers and entry...

Increasingly, I am buying gear that is a few years old on ebay, and trying it out in my own home. If I like it, I keep it. If I don't, it goes back on ebay.
Years ago, Tweeter was my retailer of choice. I started buying there at the age of 13. But Best Buy competition and some bad management drove them under and I can't really afford new gear nowadays anyways.

I feel that Emotiva and Oppo are two companies that are making exceptional offerings. So I would have to say my first choice would be Emotiva's amps, second choice would be Oppo's bluray player. My third choice would be any component that has Audyssey room compensation built-in. It makes a big difference and certainly makes a system more accurate (when used in "flat" mode).

My Pioneer CD player from the late 90's. Because it's still humming along, still looks great, still sounds great, and has the cool stable playback platform (onto which you place the disc upside down) that reduces jitter by stopping the disc from vibrating in the first place.

I think the potential for "smart home" integration with A/V gear is very strong. That hasn't gone anywhere in the last 20 years -- outside of what customer installers can do for tons of money -- despite nothing stopping it from happening. I think this has to eventually come to consumers at an affordable price. If only CE manufacturers would collaborate and come up with a common controlling interface/protocol.

F

fokakis1

Audioholic Intern

Online. I like to research products online rather than deal with a salesman.

I like products that have DLNA. This technology is changing the way we handle media.

Tablets. It's about time we replaced the laptop.

Class D amplifiers. Smaller, lighter, and less heat.

A pair of DIY subs I spent weeks building.

This may sound crazy, but WOMEN. Women make almost 2/3's of the household buying decisions. However, most A/V products are still unappealing to them. Smart TV and soundbars seem to be getting some attention from the females, but GOOD audio is usually overlooked and is unappealing to them

Last edited by a moderator:
nezff

nezff

Junior Audioholic

Online. 99% of the time you get the best prices through online dealers. Not much overhead leads to better pricing for the customers

iPhone 5. Another awesome product from apple.

bigger more affordable LCD and plasma tvs. They always looke better than PJs to me.

Audyssey room correction. who cant live without awesome room correction

Dual 18 subs

wireless av
home automation
wireless projectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis