Enter to Win: Super High Resolution DVI or HDMI cables and T-Shirts from DVIGear

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lenster

Audiophyte
1) When designing or installing a Home Theater system, are DVI and/or HDMI cable runs always included in your plans? Yes

2) For DVI and/or HDMI cable runs, what is the:
a) Typical cable length you use 3 feet
b) Maximum cable length you have used successfully 6 feet
c) Maximum cable length you really need 6 feet​

3) Do you need to pull DVI / HDMI cable through conduit? No. If Yes, is this a frequent requirement? N/A

4) In your opinion, what percentage of the total system price should be set aside for all audio and video cabling? 15% +/- 5%

Last edited by a moderator:
Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
1. Yes

2. a) 6 ft
b) 6 ft
c) 5 ft

3. Yes - N/A

4. 10% or less

O

off2europe

Audiophyte
1) When designing or installing a Home Theater system, are DVI and/or HDMI cable runs always included in your plans?

They are a must. I use them with my tv and receiver.

a) Typical cable length you use

3 meters

b) Maximum cable length you have used successfully
3 meters
c) Maximum cable length you really need
5 meters
3) Do you need to pull DVI / HDMI cable through conduit? If Yes, is this a frequent requirement?
NO, not yet, but when I upgrade to better asthetics. I will.

4) In your opinion, what percentage of the total system price should be set aside for all audio and video cabling?

$200

Q

qnetjoe

Audiophyte
1) When designing or installing a Home Theater system, are DVI and/or HDMI cable runs always included in your plans?

No, they are considered though

between componets - 2m
between reciever and tv - what ever works

150ft using cat6 to hdmi converter boxes
50ft using prefab cable

6m but depends on what your customer wants

3) Do you need to pull DVI / HDMI cable through conduit? If Yes, is this a
frequent requirement?

yes, this is a frequent requirement in commerical stuff because most hdmi cables are not ul/cl rated and fail inspection

4) In your opinion, what percentage of the total system price should be set aside for all audio and video cabling?

10-15%

A

Aedea

Audiophyte

Usually

6ft/2m

33ft/15m

10ft/3m

3) Do you need to pull DVI / HDMI cable through conduit? If Yes, is this a frequent requirement?

No

It really depends on the use. However for digital cables, I don't believe the more expensive cables really give you much more in return and the less expensive cables have great price to quality ratio. I would say a maximum of 10% of the total cost would be plenty to work with.

D

deecue

Enthusiast
1) Yes. I'm getting a new set as soon as the new year hits. I assume HDMI will be used because that's what most of the tv's are having these days. Although i will be getting a dvi to hdmi converter/cable because i'm going to be building a htpc as well and will be using the dvi port on the video card.

2)
a) 2m for things around entertainment center. 6m for others (PC, antenna)
b) 10m but never tried/needed anything longer.
c) 6m for pc connection that sits away from entertainment center.

3) Nope..

4) I think 8-12% of your total system's budget is a good range to stick to. So i guess 10% would be my answer as it's in the middle of that range.

K

koyaan

Audiophyte
I'll be getting a dvi-to-hdmi cabel eventually
the run will need to be about 10 ft.
I would expect to tupically use shorter runs of cabel 3-6 ft,
I've never attempted a dvi or hdmi cabel run
I wouldn't expect to use conduit
I lke to keep cable costs about 10% of system cost

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
1) Well this would be a most certainly YES answer. I will always try to stay with the trend, and buy what is good quality (that actually works, and is a step up)
2)a) This depends. For the projector (it will be 25') For the monitor (it will be 6')
b) I have never used a HDMI/DVI cable over 25' (shortest is 3')
c) I try to get by with the minimal that I can (possibly 1' extra on long runs)
custom length cables would be nicer for me, but are also more expensive.
3) Yes I would have a need to pull through a conduit. Will/is/would it be regular, certainly not.
4) My honest opinion I would say a max of 15% but one could certainly get by with 7%

O

ozdvduser

Audioholic Intern
1) When designing or installing a Home Theater system, are DVI and/or HDMI cable runs always included in your plans? Yes

a) Typical cable length you use between components, 3 feet
b) Maximum cable length you have used successfully Composite, S-Video, Component & DVI 30 feet (DVD to PJ)
c) Maximum cable length you really need 30 feet

3) Do you need to pull DVI / HDMI cable through conduit? No. If Yes, is this a frequent requirement? N/A

4) In your opinion, what percentage of the total system price should be set aside for all audio and video cabling? 10%

M

MrMezz

Enthusiast
1) When designing or installing a Home Theater system, are DVI and/or HDMI cable runs always included in your plans?Absolutely

a) Typical cable length you use (I've only designed my own and it was 30 meters.b) Maximum cable length you have used successfully
c) Maximum cable length you really need30 meters
3) Do you need to pull DVI / HDMI cable through conduit? No, not requiredIf Yes, is this a frequent requirement?

4) In your opinion, what percentage of the total system price should be set aside for all audio and video cabling?5-10% was my experience

N

naftaturbo

Audiophyte
Currently at architect stage with our home remodel:
1) Yes. Runs are being planned now through walls and ceiling.
2a) 1-meter local; 6-8 meter for projector
2b) 3-meters
2c) 88-eters
3) No
4) 10%

M

Mario1

Audiophyte
Entry to win cables and T shirt

Question 1) designing and installing a Home Theater. Are DVI and HDMI cable runs always included.
In the past they have not been, but your fine forums have taught me to take into consideration the enviromental factors when considering Home theater to maximise Quality of picture. So in the future the length of runs and where they are placed will be carefully consifered to give myequipment its full potential for picture quality. Thank you.
2a)Typical cable length- has been whatever the salesman included with the purchase, a 5', 7',or 10' cable. I would use this with one or more loops of extra cable.
Now I would give my self a comfortable length from the receiver or player to the TV and buy new cable if the TV was moved with no additional loops of wasted lengths for no reason. The right cable for the right task
2b)Maximum cable length used successfully was 15ft not a momemtious task however I lived in small one or two room apartments.
2c) Maximum cable length really needed. One 7' and one ten' for the TV I use as my computer moniter/TV so I can have picture in picture to work and be entertained at th same time. And also if I need to show the results in a larger screen like when the game is on I go to the floor model.
3) Do you need to pull DVI or HDMI through conduit? I do not in the present set of circumstances Im living in now. Its a small run where I am both from the equipment to the TV and from my computer to the moniter/TV
4) My opinion what percentage of the total system price should be set aside for all audio and video cabling. When considering the cable length and price is not the finished product and end result the combination of all componients involved. Athird of a system is the cabling a third is the major componients and a third is the TV. So when considering my length and price I would give equal consideration to the cables as I would in selecting the equipment. Give the expensive technically advanced equipment the chance to show its full potential with the right type cables that will give you full signal and color depth.
Richard James RichJ_57@hotmail.com

C

ca_newbee

Audioholic Intern
When designing or installing a Home Theater system, are DVI and/or HDMI cable runs always included in your plans?

Just hdmi. Longer term a dvi - hdmi to connect in a gaming PC

a) Typical cable length you use - 0.5's and a 5m for connection to a plasma (all from DVI!)

5 Meters

3 Meters

Yes (painful task!)

5%

Senior Audioholic

Yes

a)6 foot
b)30 foot
c)10 foot

Yes, frequently

$200 Maximum

M

Mr Castulucci

Audiophyte
1) HDMI cable definitely is
2a) Depends on the installation. But, on average, I'd say 5 feet
2b) 30 feet or so
2c) 30 feet
3) Yes, I feel like I should pull the HDMI cable through conduit. It is a typical requirement
4) 8%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis