Enter to Win: Super High Resolution DVI or HDMI cables and T-Shirts from DVIGear

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rz9z58

Audiophyte
My answers

1) I plan to use DVI and/or HDMI cable runs.
2) For DVI and/or HDMI cable runs, what is the:
a) Typical cable length is 4 feet
b) Maximum cable length is 25 feet
c) Maximum cable length I really need is 12 feet
3) No I did not pull DVI / HDMI cable through conduit?
4) I would say 15% of the total system price should be set aside for all audio and video cabling.

tmg4p

tmg4p

Audiophyte
Pick me!! I need a HDMI cable!! And I'm a newbie on the boards.

1. plan on purchasing a new HDTV in the very, very near future.
2a. plan on using a 2m HDMI cable.
2b. 2m is all I'll need for this new set up.
3. no, I won't be running it through anything for this set up.
4. I'd say about 8% will be spent on cables.

This is just for a basic family room set up. In the future when I can turn the kids play room into my HT, then my needs and answers will probably change.

Glad to be a newbie on the forums!

L

lincolnhayes

Audioholic Intern
Hdmi/dvi

1. I'll be using HDMI in late Dec. w/ a new DLP.
2. A. Usually 2 meters.
B. The longest I 'ved used so far isa 1 meter DVI.
C. I will need a 4 meter HDMI when I move my equipment to a closet.
3. Not thru conduit, probobly thru a face plate to get to closet.
4. I always plan on 20%. Why have the equipment if you can't maximize the signal? This figure also includes a power conditioner.

G

GaryZ06

Junior Audioholic
1. Yes DVI/HDMI cables are always considered when building a HT.
2a-12 feet
2b-15 feet
2c-15 feet
3. No
4. 10%

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
1) When designing or installing a Home Theater system, are DVI and/or HDMI cable runs always included in your plans?
YES
a) Typical cable length you use
15ft
b) Maximum cable length you have used successfully
25ft
c) Maximum cable length you really need
20ft
3) Do you need to pull DVI / HDMI cable through conduit? If Yes, is this a frequent requirement?
NO

4) In your opinion, what percentage of the total system price should be set aside for all audio and video cabling?
10%

M

Michael J

Audiophyte
Opinions? Those I have...

1) When designing or installing a Home Theater system, are DVI and/or HDMI cable runs always included in your plans?

I am always looking at trying to fture proof my cabling installations. I run Cat6 ethernet, RG59 cable and HDMI.

a) Typical cable length you use--- I try and stay at less than 3 m. Longer runs are more difficult to manage and signal degradation becomes an issue.

b) Maximum cable length you have used successfully--- 10 m works for me.

c) Maximum cable length you really need--- With planning most runs need be only 2-3 metres.

3) Do you need to pull DVI / HDMI cable through conduit? If Yes, is this a frequent requirement?

My preference is to use conduit for a couple of reasons. Easier to use later, easier to insulate around, vermin resistant and it lends itself to mapping exact locations of all components.

4) In your opinion, what percentage of the total system price should be set aside for all audio and video cabling?

You should plan on at least 10% with 15% being the norm and 20% the max. There is a diminishing return at the higher levels that only true geeks will even try and notice.

Last edited:
R

rhfjr

Audiophyte
Super High Resolution DVI or HDMI cables and T-Shirts from DVIGear

They are now. I am leaning toward a LCD 36” + HDTV with HDMI.

a) Typical cable length you use: 6’
b) Maximum cable length you have used successfully: 6’
c) Maximum cable length you really need: 6’
3) Do you need to pull DVI / HDMI cable through conduit? If Yes, is this a frequent requirement? Pulling was not required.

4) In your opinion, what percentage of the total system price should be set aside for all audio and video cabling? 5% since I do not have surround sound.

M

Monkey Boy

Audiophyte
1) Yes, now that I got an HDTV to hook up to my Home Theater Computer

a) Typical cable length you use: 15 ft.
b) Maximum cable length you have used successfully: 15 ft.
c) Maximum cable length you really need: 6 ft.

3) Do you need to pull DVI / HDMI cable through conduit? If Yes, is this a frequent requirement? No.

4) In your opinion, what percentage of the total system price should be set aside for all audio and video cabling? 10-15%

C

colorgrafx

Audiophyte
Cable selection

1) Yes - esp. w/a scan converter
a) 2m Typical cable length you use
b) 4m
c) 3m
3) Yes, only once.
4) 10-15%

S

Shaftoe

Enthusiast
1) When designing or installing a Home Theater system, are DVI and/or HDMI cable runs always included in your plans? Had you asked me 9 months ago, I would have said no. But with my new plans for a TV in the middle of next year, it is now a definite yes.

a) Typical cable length you use Haven't yet, but will probably try 7-10 meters
b) Maximum cable length you have used successfully See a)
c) Maximum cable length you really need Will probably be 7-10 meters.

3) Do you need to pull DVI / HDMI cable through conduit? If Yes, is this a frequent requirement? I will most likely not need to pull it through conduit and for my applications would certainly be a rare situation.

4) In your opinion, what percentage of the total system price should be set aside for all audio and video cabling? For me 10% seems to be the magic number. 5% I don't get the quality I would like. 15%+ is just overkill unless a particular situation warrants it.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mbaylor

Junior Audioholic
Absolutely. It's planned into my current project.

a) Currently, a short length of about 6 feet, although my current theater plans will employ a 30' cable to reach from an equipment cabinet in the back of the room to the front of the room

b) 6 feet (that's the longest I have ever used)

c) I will need a 30 foot length of cable for my new planned home theater. I am currently looking around for a good quality cable to use.

I don't think that I will run the cable through conduit, although I have heard it's a good idea to run conduit just in case.

The rule of thumb seems to be 7 - 10%. Mine was around the 7% mark.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
1) previously NO. Currently, YES. Nearly all installs I've worked with recently have a TV with a DVI/HDMI connection at the very least for the cable box. I feel this will easily become the most common connection type.

2)
a)6-10ft
b)6-10ft
c)6-10ft

3) Not so far, but I generally don't deal with FP systems.

4) It depends on the level of the gear and the customer's personal tastes, but I usually figure about 15-20%

F

flashover313

Audiophyte
Hdmi Cables

1. Dvi & Hdmi are in my plans right now since I just picked up a Yamaha RX-V receiver which does not upconvert to hdmi, so I will hook up everything hdmi & dvi. Also my new tv (toshiba 51 H85C) has hdmi imput.

2. a) 3-6 ft
b) won't know until I use them
C) max I would really need is 12'

3. If I were to run the cables in the walls I would put them in conduit.

4. I have good money into my components so I would pay good $ for good cables. I believe in not have any weak links in a system. You wouldn't put no name tires on a 100,000 vehicle.

D

dlrepp

Enthusiast
I would need about 3 meters of DVI as my Hitachi only takes that and not HDMI.
It wouldn't need any pulling through a conduit or wall.
I wish my receiver had DVI upconversion but oh well.
5% seems about right for me as I usually try to buy things at a discount. I can't afford to be an early adopter.

B

big deal

Enthusiast

Yes.

6-10 feet depending on the room.

10 feet

Current setup only requires about a 6 foot length.

No, have never used conduit for cable.

I think 15% of the total budget would do for most setups.

R

rdar

Audiophyte
1. I have not yet availed myself of either type of cable. Not sure that my components have either of these input/outputs.

2. (a) In my present meager audio-video room, I would expect the run would be about three feet.
(b) Can't say until I've done a setup.
(c) Don't mean to keep hedging, but I won't know until I've designed a new system.

3. Probably not unless I were reliably advised there was a good reason to.

4. I do think cabling is important, and could see spending up to 10 percent of the overall system budget if I were creating a whole system from go.

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
1) Not yet. My receiver does not have DVI/HDMI switching. My main TV has 1 DVI input but I have no DVI sources.

2a) not applicable
2b) not applicable
2c) 6 feet

3) no

4) 10%

S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
1) hdmi/dvi cables are considered but only for future upgrades...dont have any components that use them...yet.
2)i would need the shortest possible one(maybe a foot) for connecting a dvd player and a hd cable box to a receiver and then a 20-25 foot for connecting the receiver to the display
3)no... it would be through drywall...im not smart enough to have thought of using conduit!!!
4)i would say somewhere between 5 to 8%

R

Rutlanda

Junior Audioholic
1) High quality cable runs MUST be considered in the design phase...measurement, placement, etc.

a) 15-20 feet
b) 20 feet
c) 12 feet
3) No

4) 10 - 12%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com