Enter to Win: Subwoofer from Axiom Audio

What is your number one consideration when shopping for loudspeakers?

• Great sound

Votes: 149 93.1%
  • Latest technology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color goes with the furniture

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Able to audition them in my home

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Right size for the room

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Other (please describe below)

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
crewst

crewst

Enthusiast
Speaker selection priority

I chose sound as #1, as that is the purpose of the speaker. It is to be heard first and foremost.

It's not required to stare at the speakers while listening to them, however looks and size would be deciding factors among a chosen pool of speakers with acceptable sound and price.

For those wanting speakers that look like they "fit" with the rest of the room, there are generally enough options (style/shape/finish) among various speaker makers to make that the easier part of choosing the speakers.

J

jc1carter829@ho

Audioholic Intern
Voted for Audition in my home, where I know it would sound the best. Not some treated room!!!!!!!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I voted for sound, because that is the main purpose of a speaker. I'd rather have a good sounding speaker that wasn't a perfect asthetic match, than have one that looked great but didn't sound as good as I want.

S

sahihai

Junior Audioholic
I chose "Able to audition them at my home" because great sound is definitely the primary factor for buying a speaker or sub, but the key is to have a "great sounding" speaker at home - where your acoustic treatment may be totally opposite/different than that of the store. Buying speakers is a sequential process. I would go shopping in stores in order to listen to them first or look for someone who can audition them for me. If my heart is set on the piece at that time, I wil find out what it will take me to get the speakers home and test them. Now this is not always possible or practical. But if I am to make an investment of 100's or 1000's of dollars and then live with the speaker for years to come, then I want to make sure it works in my setting. For this, I would look if the seller has a return policy and for how long. Other things that will matter is whether there is a re-stocking fee or shipping fee etc. After getting over this hurdle, I would bring the speaker/sub home and then test is with various inputs and placements. That is what will help me make up my mind.

-dAre2dreAm

N

NeonBeyond

Audiophyte
Puts in the action

While I am going to go for a 7-point surround sound system when I finish building the room, I would have to say sound is key. I’m a little hard of hearing so most of the subtitle sounds are lost on me, but I still like to feel the action and have the vibrations roll through me. There is no better way to feel you’re in the movie.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Great Sound.
Without great sounding speakers, your speakers will be your weakest point.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Like most everyone else, I picked great sound. If a speaker looks pretty, that's terrific, but if it sounds yucky, it's the biggest letdown. I really like my Athena speakers -- I think that they not only sound great, but they look really good. I like that the grille doesn't cover the entire front of the speaker. The silver colour of the front extends downward and it's got a sleek, contoured, very modern look to it. But all that's just gravy. The speaker SOUNDS GREAT. And that really is the most important thing. I can't think of anything that even approaches the importance of the sound quality.

cheers,
supervij

B

Bambus

Enthusiast
Sound is #1 in my HT. I have 2 bookshelf speakers hanging from my ceiling as back surround. My wife says they are too big and ugly, I say they sound great. I WIN.

P

Pat D

Audioholic
Great sound quality is what I look for, of course. What I can pay limits the choices but it doesn't take so much money to get first class speakers for home listening purposes. Cost is not given as one of the options. Reliability is a consideration, too, but one should be able to get great sound with a reliable speaker that is hard to damage and should last a very long time. I will comment on the options given,.

Great sound Yes, that is the goal.

Latest technology
The results are what counts, not the means. I'm trying to figure out just what "latest technology" would mean with speakers.

Color goes with the furniture Speakers come in different colors.

Able to audition them in my home An important consideration. I would not buy a speaker without auditioning it and not being able to audition it in my home before making a final decision. But most of the time one can get a trial period or a return within 30 days, which amounts to the same thing.

Right size for the room This goes with the sound quality. A speaker unsuitable for the room would not provide the great sound required, no matter how good it may be in a more suitable location.

P

Phillip Tran

Enthusiast
great sound quality is subjective and depends on budget!

The first practical thing I would considered is my budget range (though it should not be fixed at this time). Then second thing I would do is researching through friends and internet websites (user forums and reviews). Then I would narrow down my choices to a few so that I can audit the speakers. If audition was not available and the speakers I like are relatively "cheap" I will take a risk purchasing them through reputable online direct store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis