Enter to Win: Rives Audio Test CD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iq513

Audiophyte
Ideas for the CD

I'd like to see material to educate the user on how to use the information. Too often I see the test results/specifications/product data and it doesn't have much meaning for me since I don't have a base of reference to determine what is good/bad/excellent.

Questions such as: Is there a preferred order to setting up a system? Are there numbers that demand my attention in fine tuning/tweaking and others that are less important? Too often the magazine articles aimed at the consumer discuss the basics. How would a pro go about setting up a system? What does he/she do first? What part of the process is most critical? How to fix problems. How to keep yourself (or get yourself) out of trouble. Are there any tricks to making the process easier?

An example of what I'd like to see would be Fine Homebuilding magazine. Most other consumer magazines are written for Joe Consumer. FH is written by industry professionals (and not journalists) for professionals. It's written to impart better methods, improving process and quality of the final product. I would think that anyone who is going to use the CD will have a skill set above entry level and could benefit from professional guidance.

The CD is a tool, I want to know how to best use the tool.

D

dlrepp

Enthusiast
I've seen the Rives ads and also some mention in reviews but I've never heardthe cd itself. Demo stuff would be nice. Dan

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Can't say for sure. I think the Rives Audio CD is fine as is.

G

ground_wire

Audiophyte
I think you nailed it on this version. Can't think of a single change.

K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
A feature that helps to determine the level of room treatment needed for a given room based on room measurements, wall materials, and user sound preferences. The CD would provide suggestions for diffiusion, reflection, and absorbtion panels.

R

Roninblues

Audiophyte
Any input for calibration and demo purposes to promote High-End Multi-Channel would be welcome.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Right/Left only tones

I'd like to see separate set of tones for both the right channel and the left channel so I can test each speaker individually without having to unplug one. I'd still like the current tones also so I can see how the speakers work together.

Thanks

Jack

Darth Mike

Darth Mike

Audioholic
Most definitely multichannel tests/demos and level calibration, maybe like an SACD or DVD-A version for "home theater users" and keep a lower cost 2ch version CD for stereo folks...

R

rozumek

Enthusiast
I would like to see an option to pick the size of the room (small, medium, large) Then the system setup 2.0, 5.1, 6.1. There should be demo multichannel sweeps encoded in DTS for 5.1 channel and DTS-EX for 6.1 channel. Last thing you should include in Rives Audio Test CD 2 is a learning guide for those of us who need it the most.

Best Regards,
Konrad

rntshy

Audiophyte
Needed information

I do not own a Rives Audio test CD. However, I need a CD that gives good intstructions on what to look for when adjusting contrast, brightness, sharpness as well as the advanced color settings. A reference chart should be provided so that I have a "true red, yellow and blue" to calibrate by. Just providing a color fade chart is worthless without proper instructions and a reference. A way to check the phase of the speakers would also be helpful.
Ron:confused:

F

Fierce Mice

Audioholic Intern
Tom Andry said:
What additional features would you like to see on future iterations of the Rives Test CD?
It's hard to make the tests themselves more inclusive, so demo material mastered specifically for 7.1 / 5.1 DTS / DD would be nice to allow for a) showing off to friends and b) decide which rear surround / side surround setup sounds best. Now it's a matter of flipping CDs in and out and still not being sure that the result is the best sound for me, or the best sound for me based on how the source material was mastered!

B

BKSinAZ

Enthusiast
Test dvd

I wish I had some sort of calibration dvd to judge this one against.
I would like the cd to have seperate calibrations for both TV and DVD settings.
My TV is a SONY SXRD which has tons of micro settings such as iris and lamp temperature.
Nice to have something to calibrate those micro settings. Audio setup would be nice also.

C

cleansparks

Enthusiast
I have no idea what is on the cd, but I would definitely like to see a variety of good surround sound processing tests.

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
I don't know enough about it to give an honest and educated answer. I would still like one to help me test out my equipment though.

J

jafo_91

Enthusiast
I would like to see a few demo music pieces done to try out the improvements you have made. Classical, pop, rock, ect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis