Enter to Win: PB10-NSD from SVS!

What do you think the best two methods of achieving smooth in-room bass response are?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I chose sub placement and other. Placement within the room is very important. I think EQ is a good way to flatten out in room response, and an auto EQ can be a good choice, but the ability to manually tweak the EQ is required IMO. An EQ can be both a good and a bad thing in that you can lose a fair amount of output if your room presents mostly dips rather than peaks. Room treatments would also fit under other in my book. I don't employ them because I was fairly lucky and have a relatively flat response in room, but I've worked with people with room response all over the place.

P

paul dorion

Audiophyte
Placement and 2subs were my picks. Check Dr.Toole's white paper on the Harman website.

J

JohnM

Audiophyte
Placement and multiple subs I think are the two from that list.

E

EJRothman

Audiophyte
As is clear from the majority of the responses, it seems proper placement is one the most important considerations for optimal sub performance. Room designs vary greatly, as do acoustical treatments and proper sub placement can make a world of difference in getting the sound and feel of the sub correct.

Secondly, multiple subs can help fill the gaps in sub performance, most notably in a large room. While smaller rooms may not benefit from this, having two subs firing at the same time from different locations can fill spaces in a fuller way than one sub. Again, must of this depends on the layout of the room and sub placement.

-Eric

J

JonnyOzero3

Audioholic Intern
Placement, Calibration, Treatment, and Eq, then Multiples

Personally, I think the way to go is:

1) Proper Placement
2) Proper Calibration (a given really)
3a) Room Treatments
3b) EQ (auto or manual)
5) Mulitple subs

I have to say, judging by ear, my HK 435's auto eq does a great job of smoothing my bass response.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Placing the sub in a location that creates the most level response is probably the most important. Multiple subs aids this but would be unpracticle/uneconomical to most. Adjusting level controls and matching to speakers would be next...After that, minimal EQ might help with any remaining peaks or dips in the response.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Sub placement is number one since each room is different, but with auto eq a person can also smooth out the response curve for the best possible sound in their particular room after finding the best spot for the sub.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Sub positioning and a sub EQ option.
I find that these 2 things make the most amount of difference in a room.
To me at least.

Reorx

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
Room placement makes a big difference! I've had my sub in various places in my HT room and corners definitely work better. That and an EQ to level it out.

M

MrFong

Enthusiast
Placement is important to minimize room nodes, but a second sub can help by 'mixing up' the nodes from the first sub. It also provides more headroom, so each sub doesn't have to work as hard to get the same volume (thus reducing distortion). The tricky part is to get the WAF on two subs...

Scott

S

suds1280

Audiophyte
Re: Subwoofer response

I would have to say placement, as all the other options in the poll can be the exact same between different users/rooms, but the way a sub reacts with different rooms and placements will always be different.
HOWEVA (cue Stephan A. Smith voice) I would be willing to try out the whole 2 subs angle if I happen to win. Just saying.

R

rdfishe

Audiophyte
Subwoooofer !!!

I would say room placement and good amp equipment, but take into consideration the materials surrounding your "Boom Cell";....i.e.( walls, flooring, ceilings... Bottom line takes time and a good ear.

Fish

B

BobBart

Audioholic
I think placement is the first part. Find the smoothest freq that you can by moving it around. I also use a BFD to smooth my response.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
Obviously, putting the sub in the right place to start with will give you the best result. However, it's not always possible to put the sub in the optimal room location due to other furniture, or openings in the room, or requirements from the spouse. An auto EQ function would probably be my second choice to help even out the response, even though this isn't an ideal solution. Of course, your room nodes will come into play either way.

Thanks for the contest!

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Room placement is paramount but the optimal position is not always possible. That's where the auto EQ comes in.

I live my SVS PB12-ISD, did I win? ;)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
While most effective use of the sub can be achieved through proper placement and calibration for level and phase, in the big picture its a combination of

1) Proper sub placement (overall response)
2) Multiple subs (for bigger seating areas or increasing average SPL while maintaining sound quality)
3) Elecronics (flattening response through parameteric EQ and crossover settings for good integration)
4) Other (room treatments for response peaks not addressed by EQ)

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
Obviously, subwoofer placement with the second most important is proper room acoustics, proper room acoustics and then proper room acoustical treatments. After that, I would say equalization.

Bryguy

J

jimmy13

Enthusiast
Placement is always most important when it comes to the subwoofer. Although EQ is said by many to be a close second, I've noticed a more significant improvement when 2 subs are used. I think room acoustics/dimensions dictate which is a better bang-for-buck improvement between EQ and multi-sub options (if either option is available to you).

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
Obviously placement is key. Next is a toss up between the room itself, which some of which you may have fixed by proper placement, and EQ'ing.
roly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis