Enter to Win: PB10-NSD from SVS!

What do you think the best two methods of achieving smooth in-room bass response are?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rushwj

Audioholic
Definitely think that room placement is number 1. As for number two, it's sort of a toss up for me for room EQ vs. stereo subs. it depends a lot upon room setup.

jasoneuc

jasoneuc

Audioholic Intern
Proper placement: Let's put it this way - improper placement can make almost any sub sound terrible. Proper placement is critical.

Multiple Subs: along the same line as proper placement. With multiple subs you can really provide even bass response anywhere in the room.

T

thundergust

Audioholic Intern
I think that Auto EQ will smoothen the frequency response to a certain extent. A well-placed subwoofer should also help to achieve a flatter response.

Matt34

Matt34

Proper placement of 2 or more subs with room treatments...oh wait...is that three?;)

P

Pez

Audiophyte
I feel sub placement is most important and secondly proper calibration.

A

ahdeeoh

Enthusiast
Proper subwoofer placement gets you in the ballpark for flat frequency response. (OTHER) Parametric eq allows you to take multiple readings from different seating positions and apply a "best" frequency response (not necessarilyy flat) for those positions. I beleive an auto eq allows for only one spot to be effectively eq'd flat.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
placement and eq. moving it around the room until you find the place that sounds best, because different rooms will affect the sound in different ways. Then, EQ to smooth out any peaks.

G

GaryZ06

Junior Audioholic
Placement...placement....placement .....plus some EQ'ing.....:D

S

Stylisch

Audiophyte
I learned that it was always a combo of placement (find article "crawling for bass") and treatments (bass traps).

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
From most of my reading and personal experience I believe usign proper placement (trial and error) while using a tuning program or disc with an SPL meter. Next step would be to fine tunit it with a paremetric EQ.

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
Proper Placement and "Other"

With the "Other" being doing a manual set-up as many reviews (most) actually show that a receivers "Auto" set-up is still not as good as a good old manual set-up with a good SPL meter.

Just my two cents.:rolleyes:

C

cyngreen

Enthusiast
Subwoofer placement is very important since the low frequencies do bounce off everything. I like to play around with placement until I find the optimal position.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
For a two years I put the sub under the components, between the main speakers, thinking it was the best position. I was wrong. Eventually, putting it in the corner was the right thing to do. Proper placement, while I can't explain how, did the job for me. I also think that having full-range speakers will provide good low-frequency sound without using a sub, at least for music listening.

M

MrPorterhouse

Audioholic Intern
Placement is key. You can't change the dimensions of the room, so the location of the sub is something that can be changed and has a great effect on freq response.

There is only so much you can do with placement at some point, and then you'll have to turn to another method. Using EQ is the most popular method, and its rather effective at that. You aren't really altering physics or solving the freq problem, but rather covering up the audible effect by increasing/decresing the intensity of certain frequencies. Your ears won't know the difference, though.

I've got big plans for the SVS.

B

BGLeduc

Junior Audioholic
I voted "Room Placement" and "Other".

And for "Other", I feel that a Parmetric EQ, used properly, is essential for good in-room bass response.

Brian

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Choosing proper placement was a no brain er for me. It's clearly number one in the poll IMO. Time and again experience has taught me that. The second is EQ and I don't really know if auto EQ for subs is ready for prime time. At least for Audessey is not ready as it's implemented in my Denon 3806. It set all my my speakers to large, set the sub 5db hot with crossovers of 40Hz for the mains and 60Hz for the surround. Pretty bogus. So number two for me is EQ, not autoEQ, but manual EQ.

T

tylerdurden

Audioholic Intern
1st off may I say this has got to be the best contest I've ever witnessed on this site. Unbelievable! After getting my 25-31 a couple of months back I quickly realized that placement of the sub was the most vitally important task that any new sub owner should undertake. After placement I'd go with a dual setup just to ensure that you maximize your potential response, of course if the room and wife allowed I'd go with a quad setup :) .

E

enigma7

Audiophyte
i think proper placement and calibration. also a couple of bass traps don't hurt.:rolleyes:

MarkSJohnson

MarkSJohnson

Junior Audioholic
Proper placement and more than one sub...

I voted for proper placement and using more than one sub.

"Proper placement" because I believe it's the primary factor in achieving smooth results, but "More subs" because sometimes you simply can't get smooth response from a single location in a difficult room!

C

CUBE

Audioholic Intern
Proper placement is vital to getting the best performance out of a sub. I notice different subs require different placement, this can be very time comsuming but very much worth while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis