Enter to Win: Outdoor Speakers from Aperion Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shogie

Audiophyte
For a first TV, it'd have to be bookshelf or tower 5.1s. For a second I'm split between in wall or a sound bar.

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
What speaker configurations would you consider?

I’m biased to favor a traditional front tower/bookshelf option in a 5.1 or 7.1 system not only because that’s what I currently enjoy now but because it emphasizes function over form. Therefore, while my front towers are full-range powered towers by Def Tech, they look like very conspicuous black monoliths straddling my plasma HDTV mounted on a TV stand.

I would neither consider an in-wall nor an on-wall system because such systems tend to sacrifice performance for a discreet appearance, unless a system comes from a very reputable speaker designer and can be professionally installed – both conditions which merit more cost and trouble than I am willing to accept.

I would also not consider the increasingly popular sound-bar option, which, like the in-wall and on-wall solutions, tends to sacrifice performance for a discreet appearance to achieve either virtual or simulated surround sound. I much prefer genuine surround sound, despite the conspicuous appearance of speakers arrayed in a 5.1 (or greater) system.

A system that was either wireless or had at least wireless surrounds is intriguing to me because the convenience of not having to run (and hide) speaker cables is an undeniably attractive prospect. However, the typical question of such a system applies like with the other “form over function” options, which is whether a wireless system can perform without any acoustic drawback, everything else being equal, compared to a non- wireless system with the same performance specifications.

I

iceshooter16

Enthusiast
I would most likely go for a bookshelf 5.1 system. I am currently in the market for that now. I would love a 7.1 system, but that would not work in my current room.

G

godan

Audioholic Intern
for main system i'd like a 7.1 surround and get it balanced for full audio immersion, for 2nd system probably a 4.1 or 5.1. not much interest in anything else

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
If it were my first system? Probably I would look at a decent stereo speaker set up with monitors or small towers as music has been a key component to every house I have had. I would try to find a system that could grow into a 5.1 eventually but the performance of the mains on music playback would be my first priority.

M

mikeak

Audiophyte
My choice

For a flat panel tv I would go with the soundbar option with a wireless sub. If I cannot get a wireless sub then it would not be an option.

WHY: Most people including me wants a nice living room where people can come and visit. If you own your home you also consider the value of your upgrades to people that may by your home after you.

So with that said - 5.1 / 7.1 systems will for most people lead to ugly cable runs, in-wall speakers may or may not be wanted by the next person buying your house.

A speaker bar with a wireless subwoofer can be integrated into most every room, no cables that looks bad and no cables that kids can pull etc.

The vote is made simpler by the floorstanding speakers and the 7.1 setup that will be in the Home-Theater room with the Projector :)

J

johk

Audiophyte
For me it would be : Front towers with a 5.1 or 7.1 system.

I might consider in-walls for a bedroom or a room not dedicated for movie watching...

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Count me in --

I have a relatively small room so I would stick with a trusty ol' 5.1 setup.

C

cantrell

Audiophyte
Contest Question: Pretend you are looking to purchase your first or second flat panel TV, which of the following speaker configurations would you consider? Why or why not?

I would go with Front towers or bookshelf 5.1 or 7.1 system. I just like regular ol' speakers I guess :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis