Enter to Win: Olive Media O3HD Media Server valued at $999!

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NittanyLion

Audiophyte
1) Yes ... and have been looking for some time
a) currently using a Wadia 170iTransport after burning all of my cd's in AIFF onto my 1 terabyte hard drive and syncing with several ipods

2) quality of the DAC; ease of use; reasonable price

3) at this point, price would be the only deal breaker for me

K

kiwiaudionut

Audioholic
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server?
Neither looking or using i'm afraid

a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.
I'd like to see what they are about sure - at present i know almost nothing about them
2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why
I don't know enouigh about them to comment

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?
Same as above

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic

I am using broken netbook as a music server and I definitely love to have one so I can stream my music to my 2ch setup

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important
- price
- user interface
- sound quality

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?
Must have a good dac for analog out.

T

thegreatartiste

Audiophyte

Do not own or use one and I'm not currently looking, but would gladly use this if I won.

a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why? N/A
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not?

Sure, so I can listen to higher resolution music

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why

A. excellent audio B. ease of use C. expandable storage/redundancy

Same as above

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Contest Questions:

* Currently use an iPod classic for digital music or DVD player. Have not purchased a music server due to cost.

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?

* Price
* Performance vs. iPod or other options

* Ease of use for family members

B

Bass Bum

Audioholic Intern
1) Not looking at this time as I know little about them. However, after further review this would work well in the new house.

2) Ease of use, sound quality, price.

3) Must be able to stream internet radio, etc, through my AVR.

H

harri009

Audiophyte
Pick Me

Contest Questions:

*I was but everything that I demanded in one was out of my price range

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?

*Price
*Lossless decoding / large hard drive for all the lossless files
*Audiophile grade performance

*UI has got to be beautiful, there are plenty of DIY solutions for music servers but only the top shelf ones make me want to use them.

G

goooose

Audiophyte

No

I would like one, but there is to many other things to spend money on in my audio setup.

Price, upgradeability, looks

Dealbreakers, its gotta match my system. I would trade off minor extras for one that matched better or just plain looked cooler

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
Olive Media wants you to win!

Olive Media is giving away the chance to one (1) Olive O3HD music server to one (1) eligible forum member! Setting up the Olive O3HD Music Server is as simple as connecting a standard CD player. Once installed, anything you want to do is easy: Find your favorite song. Search by artist, genre or album, or leaf through the album artwork. The Olive O3HD Music Server has a built-in, ultra-quiet hard drive with a storage capacity of 500GB. This means that the Olive O3HD can store your entire CD collection in a box the size of a standard CD Player. Storing HD music is one thing. Reproducing it in all its unique detail is another. The O3HD is a direct result of Olive's long-standing and highly respected audio engineering experience. That means you always get state-of-the-art audio components, including a premium DAC with full 24-bit/192 kHz capability. This contest represents a $999 value!

Features:
  • High-resolution Cirrus Logic DAC (192khz/24-bit)
  • Ultra-quiet 500GB AV hard drive (Holds almost 5,000 HD tracks or 1,500 CDs in original quality)
  • 1x Wired Gigabit Ethernet
  • High-resolution (480 x 272 pixels) 4.3" wide-aspect ratio touch-screen
  • Passive cooling without noisy fan

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence and 3) Answer the following questions in the thread below.

Contest Questions:
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.​

Note this contest ends on January 7th, 2010. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!
1) No...not looking for a server presently. mostly due to cost. I'd love one...be nice to be able to store that amount of media without hassle.

2) Three most important factors....1) expandability...must be able to expand to meet my needs in the future. 2) wireless capability. 3) cost effeicient for what's provided. does it give me the right bang for my buck is always the question.

3) See #2....those are all deal breakers. Why buy it if ut can't meet those needs?

Last edited by a moderator:
indulger

indulger

Audioholic
- Yes

- I am not currently using one, but yes I would love the opportunity to have one. Mostly for the convenience of copying all my CD's to one location to free up space.

- a) Simple to use; I'm not a rocket scientist. b) Lots of space; I have a huge CD collection. c) WAF; It's going in the living room and if she has to see it, it must not be considered an eye sore.

- No bright lights in front. I do not want it to be a distraction when the lights are off and we are enjoying movie night.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? Yes

a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why: Mac Mini, Ease of setup and physical integration into existing HT

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why? Performance, user interface, compatibility with existing hardware & software (including media). Reason is primarily cost (except for the performance aspect).

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they? PC-only programmability, incompatibility with certain lossless media formats, lack of future-proofing capabilities (ie, firmware and/or software updateability)

P

Protostar1

Audioholic Intern

- No

- None

- Yes, it is an interesting product I was previously unaware of.

- Sound quality, wireless connectivity, capacity.
- Sound quality should be obvious. I have many places I listen to music within my (not very big) apartment so connectivity is very important to me. In addition, people like myself have large music libraries and capacity is a significant consideration.

If for some reason the quality was limited to something below HD quality or a lack of wireless connectivity would be a deal breaker.

W

worthless

Audiophyte
I am currently using an HTPC to output my music to my receiver, however I would like to eventually transition to a dedicated media server for simplicity and to save electricity.

a) Sound quality, I don't necessarily need extreme audiophile level equipment, but I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't sound good.
b) Storage space. I have a large music collection, I need a device that can hold it all. Upgradeable storage would be ideal, for future-proofing.
c) Ability to act as a network share/NAS so that my automated backup software can regularly and easily backup my music collection from my PC to the media server.
d) not as important as the first three, but I would prefer a media server with Last.fm scrobbling support.

I wouldn't buy any media server that required me to install special software on my PC to connect to it/transfer files to it.

T

TimMc

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:
Not using a stand-alone server today. I loaded a spare PC w/ lots of our CDs and sometimes use that but it's not really set up nor used as a real music server.

a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why n/a
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not. If I had a convenient, intuitive, usable appliance I'd use that but convenience and reasonable audio quality gotta be there.

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why? Acceptable audio quality, convenient/intuitive operation, and reasonable price.

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they? Of course - price is #1 (can you say "college tuition"?), but spotty audio or poor ease-of-use could also be a quick deal breaker.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I am currently looking to rebuild a Windows Home Server that was used as a music/picture server as well as for automated backups. A hard drive failure has encouraged me to do a total rebuild with newer components.
WHS is what I am currently using because it was easy to setup and I had an old pc and some hard drives laying around. It also allowed me to backup my other pc's automatically.
The most important thing is ease of use. It must be simple to add music to and even simpler to access. My wife does not want to have to go through 10 screens to get to the music. Nor do I blame her for this, although I might be more patient. Adequate space is another concern. There must be plenty of room or the ability to upgrade/add additional space. Lastly, quality of sound. Whether it uses a lossless codec or original wav files or mp3's...the server must do a good job of preserving the original information on the disc and play it back faithfully.

The only deal breakers are cost and lack of storage space or poor ease of use. I would file lack of storage space (or at least an upgrade path for that storage space) under poor ease of use honestly.

G

gpzbc

Audioholic Intern
1) Yes, I would like to have a music server because al of my cds have been ripped to digital format, but they live on my laptop. I can plug in my laptop with a silly headphone jack but it is a pain in the butt to do, and there is a loss in sound quality. I would like to listen to my collection on my nice stereo with good quality sound.

2) Ease of use, sound quality, and appearance

3) I was considering purchasing a Squeezebox Touch

A

arkight

Junior Audioholic

A) I have been thinking about getting something like that put together. I would like to try this one to see how it is.
B) I am not currently using one but i think it would be easier to do this with a PC.

Ease of use, lots of formats avaiable, and upgradeability

small hard drive memory is cheap there is no real excuse to not have 1TB at least. no updating ability should be wireless as well

Last edited:
T

talannar

Junior Audioholic

I have been considering a music server for a while now. I'd like to combine my collection on my computer with my wife's collection and I just haven't taken the time to do it. Currently I've got my computer plugged into my receiver to listen to music

a. Ease of Use: I'd like anyone I show it to to be able to understand how to use it.

b. Large Storage Capacity: I've got a dedicated hard drive to music, as does my wife so a large capacity is a must.

c. Format Support: The unit needs to play multiple file formats so I don't need to re-rip all my music. I would also like the unit to be upgradeable to any new formats that come out.

If the music file formats are proprietary I would not be interested.

Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic

No, UPnP via Rhapsody and an NFS mount full of loss less FLAC files servers me well.

All custom. Cheaper and the server is configured with ZFS for much better data integrity.

Low power consumption (it will be on 24/7), Easy to backup(drives fail), Ability to integrate with an unlimited streaming service such as Rhapsody, Zune pass etc (most of my music listening is from these services).

Yes, I would not even consider a music server that did not also work with an unlimited music service.

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic

I wasn't but that doesnt mean I wouldn't love to have one.

Connectivity, audio quality, ease of use for the wifey

wifi, gots to have it. Also stoarge, either has to have large storage or options to connect external storage for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis