Enter to Win: Olive Media O3HD Media Server valued at $999!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catnap

Enthusiast
1. Yes I am looking for a music server.
1.a I do not currently have one.
1.b. My CD collection is too large and would like all my music easily accessible from one place.

2. The 3 most important considerations:
1. It must be able to stream wirelessly from my network w/o having to have computer on.
2. It must be able to hook up to my avr in multiple ways (not just HDMI)
3. I must be able to use it without having to turn on the TV.

3. Deal breaker would be price

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server?
Yes, I'm currently using a self-built server comprised of a passively cooled motherboard, Win7, Dell 20" touchscreen monitor running an open source touchscreen jukebox app.

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why? Ease of use, Format compatibility, Storage capacity.

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?
Non-upgradeable storage would definitely be a deal breaker. As long as the harddrive was user-serviceable the HD size at sale wouldn't be a big deal. Secondarily would be firmware updates - if there wasn't a simple method of upgrading then I would be cautious at best (although if everything else was flawless - then I'd probably pull the trigger at this price-point).

M

Mike JL

Audioholic Intern
Contest Questions:
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? - No
a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.
I would like to start using one. It would really be convenient to have all my CDs on disk.

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?
Capacity/Sound quality/reliability

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?
Small capacity

C

cupofkona

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:
Not right now...but I hope to soon.
None yet
i would...I have a lot of LPs and CDs and MP3s and want to consolidate.
2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?
Price
Storage Space
Remote

C

cutter

Audioholic
sign me up!

Contest Questions:

yes, I'm looking for a new music server

I have a SONOS system now

lossless playback/large capacity

reliable wireless connectivity

fast and easy user interface

no wireless options

Q

q2bon2b

Enthusiast

Yes, I am currently looking.

1 a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why.

Do not currently own.

2 b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.

Yes, definitely like to own one. For convenience and control.

a) Features,
b) Ease of use
c) Price

Wireless is critical.

B

BobBart

Audioholic
1. I am currently looking. Using an original xbox for server duties.
2.Price, ease of use, features.
3.Has to be wireless.

T

TONE-DEAF

Audiophyte

yes, currently looking

1 a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why.

Do not own.

2 b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.

Yes, For convenience, flexibility.

a) Features, connectivity
b) Ease of use
c) Price

compatibility. mp3/wmv/m4a

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
Are you currently looking for or using a music server?

Contest Questions:
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? Yes, I am currently looking for a music server but haven’t settled on one yet.
a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why?
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not? I would love to own a music server because servers appear to represent the fasting growing if not the dominant trend for music playback. But I don't own one now because I think most servers worth owning in today’s market are too expensive.

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why? The three most important considerations to me, in this order, are price (being both budget-friendly and value-added), user-friendliness (ease of setup and use), and the size of the graphical display (preferably a generous-size, long-lasting LCD-type screen). The current pricing of most music servers in the market is too prohibitive in this economic downturn.

3) Are there any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they? There is nothing that would be a deal-breaker, except expensive pricing, which I think is all too common in the server market. I think a server priced under $500 would be ideal for many appreciative pocket books. ;)

B

btbluesky

Audiophyte
YES, IN NEAR FUTURE.
I AM LOOKING TO DIY ONE MYSELF, UNLESS I WIN A CONTEST!

SONIC SUPERIORITY, TECHNICAL SUPERIOR, THEN EASE OF USE.
SONICALLY HAS TO BE ON PAR W/ THE BEST DIGITAL TRANSPORT THERE IS, WITH MUCH LOWER PRICE, SAY ASYNC USB IMPLEMENTATION.

TECHNICALLY IT NEEDS TO BE UPGRADABLE, WITH SOME ESSENTIAL FEATURES OF TODAY'S HIGH TECH ENV (WIRELESS, 24/192). IT'S THE SOFTWARE THAT HOLDS THE KEY.

EASE OF USE, AGAIN THE SOFTWARE HAS TO BE UPGRADABLE TO ALLOW BETTER GUI TO BE DEPLOYED IN FUTURE.

SECOND RATED DAC CHIPS. CHEAP USB CIRCUIT.

H

hil

Audiophyte

Yes, I've been working on a way to play music through from a harddisc computer

I'm using an Asus soundcard in a seperate computer with 2 tb storage and XP, playing with free software.

Yes, I'd like a seamless consolidated method to the same end - high quality sound, mass storage, playlist capabilities.

Speed, ease of use, capacity so that no usage could become a hindrence/hassle.

There is one - the requirement to subscribe to and use Apple iTunes.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
1) I have been contemplating looking for a music server for a long time.
b) I would like one because I have a lot of music I'd like piped from my desktop to my living room setup -- and I'd like to do that without running cables all the way there.

2) It's got to have high-quality sound, there can't be any audio drop-outs, and it's got to be easy to set-up and operate on a daily basis.

3) Deal-breakers would be price, small capacity, bad user interface and any audio dropouts.

G

godan

Audioholic Intern
Mr

no

sure i'd like one, can't because i'm broke

price, ease of use and capacity

no service charges or extra fees

W

Willmagic

Audiophyte
Yes Count Me in!

1) No, I do not presently own one.2)A. EASE of down-loading into it. B. Ability to connect into my home network. C. Most important: SOUND QUALITY!3) No real deal but BAD sound Quality.

808htfan

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.​

1) Using
a) Squeezebox 2 & Touch, because I like the community support/development (forums.slimdevices.com), flexibility, sound quality.

2) Sound and price, because I want good sound but don't have a job that pays million$. File types, because it needs to playback whatever I have.

3) Assuming the question meant 'wouldn't buy one without that feature', I wouldn't buy one that didn't playback FLAC files.

Edit (Adding deal breakers): Wouldn't buy one that required me to use iTunes, pay for a subscription/service, use DRM, ...

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Contest Questions:
"Yes, I am currently looking for a music server"

a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why?
"I have 'line' running form my sound card to my receiver. Why? Cost effective and it gives me the option to use a browser for listening to internet radio stations. Also my CD player is wifi enabled and has a Pandora widget"

"I would a server to have a browser, a simple browser so I can listen to internet radio".

"Hard drive size, cost of server, and internet browser, internet widget features".

"Not wifi enabled, high cost, bad/cheap build quality".

K

kibbyster

Enthusiast
contest

not really looking. not sure why i wouldnt want one

hard drive capacity
hook up options
price
these seem the best reasons to me

not really any deal breakers maybe too expensive

G

Guavamanh

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? Yes, it would be nice to have all my music stored in one device

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why? Price (budget is not audiophile unlimited), quality (output/build is important) and ease of use (too technical = will not be used)

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they? Deal breaker if the hard drive stoarge is too small, if the rip is low quality/able to hear compression in output

Thanks

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? No I'm not because I'm not terribly familiar with them but after looking at this I may change my mind.

a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why? I am not currently using a music server
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not? I would love to store all of the songs I grew up listening to. I am not familiar with music servers and that is probably the only reason I do not have one. I think it sounds like a great idea and could be a ton of fun.

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why? Storage space, ease of use and sound quality. Ease of use is the most important thing to me as I would be new to this

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they? Ease of use and affordability

G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
No ... but having one sounds appealing ... it seems like it would make music selection far easier.

Must have wireless capability, high quality audio, price.

3) Are there any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?
Must have wireless and no subscription services required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis