Enter to Win: iTunes from Impact Acoustics

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sk60

Enthusiast
Do you use your IPOD or MP3 in your main audio video system? Yes, just starting to.

Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future? Do not own. Probably wait till they go down in price and technology improves. Need to be wireless

What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's? I think they are great, but they need to work better in an overall HT envioronment

T

treetownal

Audioholic Intern
1. Do you use your IPOD or MP3 in your main audio video system?

Yes.

2. Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?

No, probably in the future.

3. What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?

They are great but as memory becomes more efficient, cheaper and smaller they will provide better sound quality. I like having music in one place with a video interface, but I'm not sure the technology is there yet to compete with the SACD and DVD-A quality. Maybe I'm just not aware of it.

H

HiJon89

Audioholic

No.

2. Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?

I have a computer if that counts.

3. What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?

They can be of some use, but I find MP3 players over 2GB utterly useless, as it is I only listen to 10-15 songs in my collection.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic

I do NOT own a player. If I did, I wouldn't use it in the main A/V system. What kind of self respecting Audioholic listens to lossy compressed audio? *smirk* Actually, there is some research that suggests that lossy audio may damage our ears...

http://users.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~windle_c/Logologie/MP3-Gefahr/MP3-risk.html

I have a Windows Media PC at home. I use full bitrate audio only when streaming it to the Xbox 360. And, I don't really even use it that much. I prefer a good ol' CD, actually.

Digital storage devices are great as long as they use lossless compression for the original audio. If a device is capable of storing enough information and playing the lossless audio files, then I am all for it!

Btw, I don't want anything from iTunes, so don't pick me to win. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents!!

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
1. Do you use your IPOD or MP3 in your main audio video system? Sometimes digital music from my comp but Lossless files only
2. Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future? I have a computer
3. What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's? Fun stuff, not the best quality but great for travel

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
1. No
2. No; not in the next 12 months
3. I own and use an iPod DAILY for PORTABLE music storage, but do not use it at home nor would extensively use a hard-drive based music storage system unless it was:

a) Uncompressed storage (very inefficient)
b) Incorporated into my main stereo system (not a remote server).
c) Cheaper than storing CD cases (a tough one)

Having said that, I'm sure the day will come when server costs become more economical and/or it is significantly more cost effective to download high quality music (CD+ quality) than purchase it; I just don't see it right now.

E

ebrius

Enthusiast
1) Yes

2) No, and I don't see getting/creating one unless I get an HTPC

3) Easy efficient way to store music without the need to switch disks, whats not to like?

M

mikeycav

Audiophyte
1. No I do not use my iPod in my main audio system as there is no digital out solution that I am aware of. Additionally, the capacity is insufficient to hold my entire library in a lossless format.

2. Currently I stream two channel music stored on an external firewire drive from my Powerbook to my receiver. I plan to get an ethernet drive to connect directly to my main base station so that my laptop doesn't have to be wired when streaming music.

3. I like the portability of my iPod but I would like to have a larger capacity as I only use lossless compression. I'm still waiting for a dedicated server solution of sufficient value to replace my laptop method of streaming. I am interested in the idea of a video server but I am not familiar with current options.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
1. Yes. I normally play CDs and vinyl, but connect my iPod for parties and such, so that I can use custom playlists that I've defined for the event. I'm willing to give up a bit of sound quality in these situations.

2. No. I just have my music stored on a desktop PC. The thing that I haven't bothered to do, at least not yet, is to rip my vinyl, so that ALL my music is available to my iPod, and not just my CDs. The time involved to do this seems like a killer, though.

3. I agree that hard-drive based music storage is great. I love my iPod, but wish that it had more storage (mine is a 30 Gb) so that I could use a higher-quality format, or even a lossless format. I also think that if I am buying a song from iTunes, I ought to be able to get it at whatever bit rate and format I want. If I want to rip some of my CDs, or just favorite songs, at a more storage-intensive format for better sound quality, I am free to do so. I'd like the same choices with music purchased online.

cgk

cgk

Junior Audioholic
entry

I use an ipod shuffle or my iBook with the music distribution set-up in my house. I do not use it in my HT/listening room.

I don't think I would purchase a dedicated music server. I use my iBook as that function with the music stored on my iMac and have the two linked by Wi-Fi. I also listen to internet radio with this set-up.

Now that I have most of my music ripped onto my hard drive, I like the convenience. I do, however, still like to have the optical disk on the shelf!

B

BobBart

Audioholic
Yes I use my mp3 player in my main system.
I use my computer to store music and stream it to an xbox running xbmc in another room.
I think the hard drive based systems are excellent, sound quality is great as long as you don't compress to much and you can store all the song info and pics also.

M

MikeEckhardt

Audioholic Intern
Do you use your IPOD or MP3 in your main audio video system?

Yes.

Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?

No. Yes I think I might like to purchase a component that does that, it would be extremely convenient.

What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?

I think the iPods are great but for me it will really never be anything more then a portable music player. I wish for a component that has a large harddrive, large enough to store full size wave files thus not compressing the music.

Mike Eckhardt

G

greenhill

Audioholic Intern
1. Not my ipod, however my entire music Library (all converted to 192kbs MP3's) is hooked to Home Audio system Wirelessly with RCA Lyra recievers.

2. MusicMatch Jukebox is my music manager (superior music manager over itunes, i think)... transferring music from MusicMatch to itunes and vice versa is a pain but do-able. I use my ipod for more on-the-go applications....ie, in the Car, and on Planes......

3. Sacrificing Audio quality, with MP3's...... however I like making long "playlists" and just playing backround music in the house during the day... I do still break out a CD once in a while for good quality stereo listening.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Occasionally.
Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?
Sort of. I have consolidated the iTunes libraries of our various computers onto one central Mac mini "server". Currently iTunes is accessing this directly as an automounted network drive. Eventually I plan to use Roku or Sonos boxes to stream that library on-demand throughout the house.
What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?
Well, I'd have to say I feel pretty good about them.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
No, I use my computer to listen to mp3's

No, may purchase in the future

I have a hard drive filled with mp3's. would like a cost effective way to get them to my Receiver. Ipod/mp3 player might be the solution. It would elimate the hassle of inserting CD's to hear music. Nice to create playlist of favorate songs too.

E

Emusica

Audioholic
1. ALL the time (yes:D 0)

2. That's what I use my iPod for and I don't have any plans, as of yet, to purchase one.

3. I love being able to take ALL my music with me and leave my precious CD collection at home. I would, although, love to see the quality of music increase. I know you can at a higher bit rate to get the "lossless" quality, but I was thinking more on the lines of DTS quality or even DTS 96/24 quality. I know that would probably take up a ton of space, but that's what those nice terabyte drives will be for. I would like to see an iPod like device that could hold a couple hundred gigs and dowload some nice DTS recordings.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Contest Questions:
QUOTE]

1) I do not use an IPOD in my main audio/video system. However my Ipod is good to play music in my car.
2) I use my computer (w/ Itunes or lossless CD rips) as a digital storage system and player (250GB HDD / Creative X-FI SoundCard / Creative 5.1 Digital Theater Speaker System (THX certified / External Dac))
3) HDD based music storage systems are the way of the future. Loss-less music files and a home theator systems are a much more efficent and space efficent method of purchasing / storing / playing music.

dtaylor

Audiophyte
Media

1. I do not use my ipod with my home theater/stereo system. I do however use it as my music library, used on-the-go, in the car or at work.

2. I do not have a music server component, nor is one currently budgeted. I have considered implementing home audio service via Tivo (Home Media Option).

3. The popularity of the ipod and itunes finally initiated a change in music delivery (label-store-consumer buys entire CD, so we can listen to William Shattner perform "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"). Now the mainstream populous is starting to can search, buy and download (William Hung performing "She Bang"). And with Itunes beginning to deliver video, the contect may increase exponentially. I suspect this will begin to change consumer expectations leading to media on demand (movies, TV, etc), which has been threatened for a decade or so, bit never arrived. This change could lead media servers from gee whiz to appliance.
Note: I refer to itunes and ipod as they either led the way or are dominating the competition, though there are obviously other providers & products.

C

clthoma2

Audioholic Intern
Response to questions

1.) I do not use an Ipod or my portable MP3 player in my main system. I do however stream MP3's wirelessly from my PC via a LINKSYS WMA11B wireless media adapter.

2.) I use my Home PC as a Music Server, however I would prefer to have a media center PC in my system that would serve as my DVR and eliminate the need for a Cable box via CableCard (when they are available).

3.) I would only be interested in Hard Drive based music if the device itself gives me the ability to directly download music via the web. I don't want to have to download the music elsewhere and have to deal with transferring the music. This is why I thinkg the HTPC with DVR and CableCard will be so valuable. This device would also allow me to transfer music to the portable player of my choice.

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic

1) I use an iPod Video 60 Gig as my main audio system. I rip all my CD's at 256Kbps and feel that's sufficient enough for general listening. When I want to sit down and listen with full attention to the speakers, I may put in an actual CD.

2) No I don't have a music server, but I really want the SqueezeBox. This summer I plan on purchasing one. This way I can listen to lossless audio out of a convenient music selection system.

3) I think MP3 players have their limits with sound quality, but they certainly are great for portability. At this point the convenience and accessability to my music outweighs the sound quality loss for general listening, especially from a portability standpoint. I think music servers will gain popularity now that MP3's are becoming more popular. I certainly want one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis